Letter to the groom?

Online Users: 1,244 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 14

truebri Posts : 4 Registered: 10/4/07
Letter to the groom?
Posted: May 19, 2008 5:30 PM

Did anyone else write a letter to be delivered/given to your groom on your wedding day?  If so, did you have a calligrapher copy it or write it out yourself?

My situation is that FH just pulled through a very serious surgery, his third in two years, and it gave me a lot of time to think about how much he means to me.  I wanted to write him a letter to let him know that, but my handwriting is just terrible, and I feel like it is the sort of thing that just shouldn't be spit out by a printer.

Message was edited by: truebri

rubyred1 Posts : 968 Registered: 8/9/07
Re: Letter to the groom?
Posted: May 19, 2008 5:44 PM Go to message in response to: truebri

Personally I think that something like that is too personal to have someone else write it.  IMO just because you print it out from the computer doesn't make it any less meaningul.  Plus, that way IF something ever happened to the original, you always have a copy.  BTW I think it is a great idea.
http://tac.families.com/ezb/1039358.png

Iheartweddings Posts : 645 Registered: 7/23/07
Posted: May 19, 2008 5:46 PM Go to message in response to: truebri

I think writing a letter is a wonderful idea, and it really sets the mood for your FH right before the ceremony. 

I typed him a letter on the computer as well as giving him a handwritten note I had written to my "future husband" in high school before I had even met him. It was really meaningful to him, and I think he was really touched.   

I really don't think you need a professional calligrapher to do the note for you. I think you should either type it (for legibility) or write it yourself even if your handwriting isn't good. He'll appreciate that you went through the effort.  

When is my wedding
SmileSee our wedding pictures at: http://josephmark.com/RyanandJennifer

BrideChica Posts : 2,300 Registered: 12/25/06
Posted: May 19, 2008 6:12 PM Go to message in response to: truebri

This is a great idea!

Write it yourself....it will make the letter more personal!!!

Posted: May 19, 2008 6:52 PM Go to message in response to: BrideChica

Thanks, ladies!  I was leaning that way anyway. :-)

MrsWilliams2008 Posts : 1,431 Registered: 7/19/07
Posted: May 19, 2008 7:04 PM Go to message in response to: truebri

How SWEET. That's an amazing idea. Mind if i "steal" it, lol

BTW, I say write (or type) it yourself. Some things are just too personal to have other people read.

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/RyAnne Stafford&RobertWilliams, Jr

R&R: June 21, 2008

RMB0414 Posts : 1,386 Registered: 8/2/06
Posted: May 19, 2008 7:09 PM Go to message in response to: truebri

I say write it - that way it is even more personal (o:  I found a card at the local Hallmark store "For my Groom" and it was beautiful.  I wrote my hubby a very meaningful letter inside of it and made sure that when he woke up at his parents the morning of (he stayed there the night before) that would be the first thing he saw (o:  He loved it!!

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Posted: May 19, 2008 7:18 PM Go to message in response to: MrsWilliams2008

Definitely, please "steal" away!

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: May 19, 2008 7:27 PM Go to message in response to: truebri

i bought a beautiful card from hallmark, to my groom on our wedding day type style and hand wrote a message for him.  

Posted: May 19, 2008 9:49 PM Go to message in response to: truebri

I've been writing my FH letters in a really cool journal I bought shortly after we started dating. I plan to write a special letter on the first page introducing it to him, on our wedding day. He's a sentimental guy, and I think he'll appreciate being able to re-read all of our special moments (and fights, too!). My advice is to hand write something. Nowadays with so much technology it is easy to just type something up, so even if your handwriting is "terrible" I think he'd appreciate the effort you put into writing him something special (and legible ;) ).

Good luck!

"In times of war, you often hear leaders- Christian, Jewish and Muslim- saying, 'God is on our side.' But that isn't true. In war, God is on the side of refugees, widows, and orphans." Greg Mortenson in his book Three Cups of Tea.

SDIwifey1207 Posts : 346 Registered: 7/9/07
Posted: May 19, 2008 10:40 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have an idea! When I was in high school I bought a calligraphy book and some pens and taught myself how to write in it. My regular handwriting is awful too, but this really helped! That way you can improve your handwriting and write the note yourself too!!

Nothing says I love you like learning to write in calligraphy for your groom :)

<3 I'm so in love with my hunni bunni <3

Dec 29 ,2007

Formally MrsEichel1207

rubyred1 Posts : 968 Registered: 8/9/07
Posted: May 19, 2008 10:50 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Jenna I love this idea!  I was going to tell OP that I thought this was great.  FH and I met online and I got the brilliant idea after reading this post to print out every email we've written to each other over the past 5 years and bind it into a book.  Now I'm contemplating copying them into a journal for him.  Hmmm...lots of work, but I have six months without him to do it.
http://tac.families.com/ezb/1039358.png

Posted: May 19, 2008 11:55 PM Go to message in response to: rubyred1

RubyRed, printing out emails is a great idea! FH and I met online, too, so hmm, maybe as an anniversary gift or something I'll print out those emails. Plus, won't that be so fun for your kids someday (assuming you want kids) to read their parents' story from those emails. great thought! :)

Good luck! 5 years worth is a lot, but you can do it, or maybe just the most special ones ;)

"In times of war, you often hear leaders- Christian, Jewish and Muslim- saying, 'God is on our side.' But that isn't true. In war, God is on the side of refugees, widows, and orphans." Greg Mortenson in his book Three Cups of Tea.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: May 20, 2008 1:26 AM Go to message in response to: truebri

My handwriting gets worse all the time! How about a compromise? Type out the body of the letter, but use a "script" type of font. Then, add some handwritten words (such as, "I love you so much and I'm so happy to be marrying you.") Remember, whatever you do, it's the thought that counts, and he'll love it (especially if it's legible enough to actually understand LOL!)

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

m2810 Posts : 45 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: May 20, 2008 1:45 PM Go to message in response to: truebri

I bought a cute hallmark card and wrote in the inside all my feelings about how in less than an hour we'd be husband and wife and let out all emotions!! The day before the wewdding I gave it to his mom and she gave it so him reight before they left to church. It was an hour drive and he said it was a great surpriese that deffinately calmed his nerves!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine