July 2008 Brides!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 771

ryanne Posts : 1,042 Registered: 4/27/06
Re: July 2008 Brides!
Posted: May 15, 2008 3:28 PM Go to message in response to: Jackswife

For those of you who will be young brides, what do you anticipate young married life will be like? How do you think being married will affect people's reaction to you and do you think your friends will treat you differently because they don't understand why you want to get married? Are you the first people you know of your age to be getting married? We're the first couple we know to be getting married so we're gonna be the outcasts! But as you can see we like being different so I'm really looking forward to married life and finally living with him too so 2 exciting things all at once!

Hi JacksWife, I'm going to be a young bride too. I'm 19, and I'll be turning 20 about 12 days after the wedding. FH is 22, turning 23 at the end of June. We've actually had several friends get married already, so we definitely won't be the outcasts! lol. FHs best friend (our best man) got married in November, right after he turned 22. His wife is 21. One of my bms--who I've known for 13 years--got married last summer. She and her hubby are both turning 21 this summer. My other BM is 19, and got married this past fall. Her hubby (also one of my very good friends) is 21.

Most of my friends are really excited for me and FH. The negative reactions we get (outside my parents) come from people I go to school with who really don't know me that well. All they see is that I'm 19 and committing myself to ONE guy for forever, and they don't understand how I could do such a thing at my age! lol. The people who know me know that this is what I really want and that this is something I've wanted since I was little. lol. I actually told my mom--it has to have been 10 years ago now--that I was gonna get married when I was 19. When she asked me "don't you want to go to college?" I told her that I would do both. :) And I am! :)

But anyway, FH and I are living together now, and have dealt with the opposite schedules that come with his job and my being in college, and we've done just fine. Yeah, it sucks when we don't see each other. But we both understand that it comes with the territory, that its only temporary, that its better than NOT seeing each other at all (like we would if we weren't living together/married), and that it'll get better when I'm out of school.

My mom thinks that FH is going to start making demands of me and that I'm going to drop out of school and never finish and all that lovely stuff. He hasn't so far. He hasn't really even complained about not seeing me. He has these last couple of weeks but I've been exceptionally busy with wedding stuff, finals, and my voice studio and we've seen each other less than we usually do. So it's not a big deal. 

The bottom line is that we both know how its going to be and are willing to deal with it. We're willing because its worth being married and being able to live together. Thats not to say that my life wouldn't be easier if I wasn't attached to anyone. It definitely would. But it would also be a hell of a lot lonlier. :)

Our Wedding Website: www.mywedding.com/chrisandryanne

Posted: May 15, 2008 3:36 PM Go to message in response to: ryanne

24 guests so far...haha. i got an rsvp card in the mail this week, and lots of website responses!

Pegah Posts : 58 Registered: 11/27/06
Posted: May 15, 2008 3:38 PM Go to message in response to: ryanne

I just turned 22 in April but FH turned 26 in March. So I'm young and he's right around the age to get married. I could sorta tell people were thinking...wow they are so young (but these are the same people who got married when they were in their early 20's, lol). But I just tell them...hey it's more years of our lives we get to share together! The only problem I see is when you are younger you evolve more and you might end up evolving into two totally different people, but there is a positive side....you don't give up. If you can make it through the changes together you can probably make it through anything. I have totally changed since I started dating FH 4 years ago. I was a wild child, party girl who was dating more guys than she could count, lol, but after I met him I settled down, realized the important things, stopped partying, etc. and he still loves me for that. And in another few years I will have a career and be a mother and he'll love me for that. So look forward to all the extra years we all get to share young brides!

Future Mrs. Bowman

Pegah Posts : 58 Registered: 11/27/06
Posted: May 15, 2008 3:47 PM Go to message in response to: Pegah

Oh and also....we got about 101 guests so far. That's roughly 60 response cards. We still are missing 84 response cards! YOWZA! I've told all my friends to send theirs in and they are all saying they are looking for dates and I have to break the new to them that we can't fit or afford dates at this point. I mean...come on people, don't you know that if the card doesn't say "and guest" you are supposed to come solo?! Apparently not. And people do not know how to fill out the response cards. The card reads M________       _ persons attending. Our friend put Mr. Craig H and 0 persons attending.....we thought he wasn't coming but he thought that meant he's not bringing anyone. Oh people, lol!

Anywho, we had our tasting on Monday! It went great. We are having Vegetable Spring Rolls with Plum Sauce, Smoked Salmon & Capers on a Bagel Chip, Tomato Mozzarella Bruschetta on a Crostini, Jerk Chicken Salad on a Sweet Potato Pancake, and Teriyaki chicken skewers.....all for appetizers. And for the entree we have Chicken Rockefeller, Tri-colored Orzo Pilaf, and a Vegetable Stuffed Zuchinni. YUM, lol! So now we're just waiting on the RSVP so we can tell the baker how many to make it for, tell the florist how many centerpieces, etc! I have my shower coming up on June 8th and I've been busy telling my BMs and Mom what I want, lol!

Future Mrs. Bowman

MrsAWarner Posts : 191 Registered: 2/18/08
Posted: May 15, 2008 7:31 PM Go to message in response to: Noviesita

Hey ladies, it looks like you are all getting a lot done!

Ryanne, your flowers and invites are beautiful-and your kitty's quite a looker too. Wink

To the pp who asked if $150 is too much for a tux: no. That seems to be about the going rate no matter where you live. We are lucky enough to have found a shop that FH can rent his Oscar De La Renta tux for $110 and the GMs are getting their Calvin Klein tuxes for like $80. That doesn't include shoes. though.

I GOT MY INVITATIONS OUT!!!! Lol, this is a very exciting thing for me. We've gotten 3 response cards back so far. Yay! Although one person already frickin added someone to the RSVP that wasn't officially invited. Grr. I also had some problems getting some addresses from people. I don't understand what the big deal is. And I even had problems getting a couple of people's last names. They were both the fiancees of the men that I was inviting-so their names went onto the invitations-but just their first names lol. Oh well-if they want to be all secretive about their last names then that's how it's gonna be.

We changed our centerpieces. They were going to be orchids-but now they are going to be little galvanized pails of daisies. Lol, yeah, that's a huge contrast but I realized that the only place there were going to be orchids in the ceremony would be my bouquet. The BMs are carrying hydrangeas and daisies. So it just made more sense to use the dasies. It's cool though. I like daisies. Smile

We also went out and bought all of our tableware yesterday. We are having a caterer, but to shave off costs we are using all disposable stuff and we decided to pay for it since it's a lot more expensive to have the caterer provide it. Although I must say, I will never spend over $100 on disposable plastic plates again lol.

Posted: May 15, 2008 9:51 PM Go to message in response to: MrsAWarner

Ryanne, your flowers and invites are beautiful-and your kitty's quite a looker too. Wink

Thanks!! The kitty seems much happier now that's she's lost about 5 lbs of hair...I'm probably exagerrating, but oh well. :)

stillgroovin Posts : 238 Registered: 11/12/07
Posted: May 16, 2008 9:42 AM Go to message in response to: ryanne

re: young brides - well, I'm turning 24 in one week (happy birthday to me!) and I have to admit, that's about as young as I want to be to get married. But that's me. Some people can handle getting married young. I had a friend get married right out of high school and they're still doing great. She was a mature person and was ready for the commitment. Some other couples worry me, but ultimately, it's up to them to decide.

Pegah - ooh, your food sounds yummy! I have to admit, that's the one area I'm not totally happy with. Our caterer just doesn't give us many options, and it's going to be a smaller meal. However, at least I like the entree we chose - beef tenderloin tips in a burgundy wine sauce.

Am I the only one to not have sent out my invitations?!?! I'm holding out for the two month mark, if not longer. I already sent out STDs so I feel like everyone already knows and I would rather send them out closer so they don't forget. 

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
Posted: May 16, 2008 9:52 AM Go to message in response to: stillgroovin

Hey all you "Young Brides"!

I'm 41 and I STILL think I'm too young to get married!! Ha Ha!

Anyway, quick update. The invitations are STILL JUST trickling! I said it before and I'll say it again. What Is So Hard About Writing a Number and puttin' the stupid RSVP in the mail???

What kills me is that I see some of our guests every day and what can I do? Say, "Hey, did ya put the stupid RSVP in the mail yet? Ya know it's been almost a month since you received it!" Ha Ha

Oh and watch out with your single bachelors! They tend to throw the "pretty invitation" be the wayside and either forget or JUST ASSUME that I know he/she's going to the wedding!

OH! AND I pick up my dress today! I'm going to try it on and take a picture. I'm so psyched!!! 

Michelle070508 Posts : 64 Registered: 12/15/07
Posted: May 16, 2008 3:41 PM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

i am feeling you on this BIG TIME!!! I have just started getting RSVP's back this week but already all but one of them are filled out wrong!! My favorites are the one that had 2 peoples names on the inter-envelope and a 4 written in the number attending box. Oh and then there was the one today with a check mark in the unable to attend box with no name written on the line OR a return address on the thing!! That one was from our town (where 85% of our invitations went to) so the post mark was NO help and the check mark means i can't narrow it down by number of guests either!!! WHAT AM I SUPPOST TO DO WITH THAT!! LoL

The other Invitation thing that i am haveing fun with is that one of the invites got returned to me today! It says insufficaint address on it and i know i've sent this ladies STD and Shower invite to the same place and she got BOTH!! now the invite is covered in post office stamps (return to sender and such) and the postage wouldn't be good now anyway because it went out the first time before the increase! Geeeezzzz Yell  lol

My McDreamy and My McDog ... what else could a girl ask for??

Michelle and Travis 07-05-08!!

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
Posted: May 16, 2008 4:43 PM Go to message in response to: Michelle070508

That is hilarious about the number of guests being 2 on the envelope and then, well, it's OK to invite anybody right? Let's invite all their neighbors, too! With me, it's OK if people do that, but my problem is that I need an EXACT headcount for my caterers ASAP!

I AM ON A HIGH! I picked up my gown, the veil, the tiara, the pearl necklace, earrings and the shoes and brought the things over to my FMIL home for safekeeping! I was going to put a picture of me in my gown on here, but I'm afraid of jinxes!

Noviesita Posts : 381 Registered: 6/18/07
Posted: May 16, 2008 4:51 PM Go to message in response to: Michelle070508

Jackswifetobe- welcome to the forum!  I love what you're doing for your wedding.  If I could start my planning over again, I would really try to keep things a lot more intimate.

Pegah-I love the pictures.  My favorite is the one with your hand on his shoulder. 

2bmrswarner- I'm glad to hear that your invites went out.  I'm sure you feel like a great weight has been lifted.  Re: the center pieces all have to say is I love daisies!  I bet they're beautiful. 

I hear you about ladies the RSVPs.  That's why I customized mine to say:  __ "seat/s have been reserved in your honor" and filled in the # myself.  Yes it may be tacky but, not everybody seems to know the proper etiquette for these things.  To be honest, I too learned a lot about what's proper and what isn't but, I decided which rules I would and wouldn't follow. 

Message was edited by: Noviesita

Posted: May 16, 2008 5:59 PM Go to message in response to: Noviesita

Here's more from the RSVP chronicles:

So we got back about 5 RSVPs today. Man, I don't know if I should find it funny or not to see how people fill them out! One person replied that they were unable to attend and then below the line they wrote 'due to my unceremonial nature' I swear I am not making that up!

Another one came back that 'all 5 of us will be there, we love you both' but there is no name on the card or on the envelope. So, who the hell are all 5 of you???

Still another came back that they will attend and next to their names they wrote 'and friends'. Huh????? And friends??? I don't even KNOW any of your friends because you are friends of my mother. WTF???

Like I said, do I laugh or get upset? I think I'll laugh, it's better for the stress levels.

Michelle070508 Posts : 64 Registered: 12/15/07
Posted: May 16, 2008 6:16 PM Go to message in response to: MrsAWarner

oh my gosh ... i feel questionable about calling the 2 invite-ies and telling them "ahhhh No" for the 4 people (not that i still wont have to do it... we have NO NO NO room in our budget) But the 'and friends' that i would call them RIGHT away!! What are people thinking! hahaha

i'm glad someone else is dealing with an idiot that didn't put their name anywhere on the thing! What are you really going to do about that, i need some ideas! LoL I didn't even get a number just a check mark in a box BUT for you i guess you could look at how many invites you sent out with 5 names on them and narrow it down by the rsvp's you have gotten that did have names!

My McDreamy and My McDog ... what else could a girl ask for??

Michelle and Travis 07-05-08!!

Posted: May 16, 2008 9:16 PM Go to message in response to: Michelle070508

Lol I really don't know. I'm going over my guest list and there are 3 invites that went out including 5 people. The only one that I could see writing that particular message is my aunt, uncle, and their 3 kids. It's definitely a woman's handwriting on the RSVP-plus they didn't actually write 'we love you' she wrote 'we heart you'. I don't know any dudes who would do that lol. If it's not her then I am totally lost. Tongue out

stillgroovin Posts : 238 Registered: 11/12/07
Posted: May 17, 2008 8:34 PM Go to message in response to: MrsAWarner

Oh man, you guys are making me nervous about when I send out my invites! And I just realized I didn't put any date on the invite as to when they should respond. Shoot.

I had my hair consultation, though! I opted not to do a trial run, but we talked about what I wanted and even her just playing with my hair I can tell it's going to look really good! yay!!!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine