PLUS SIZE BRIDE...HELP !!!!!!!

Online Users: 1,267 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

ADazzlingEvent Posts : 69 Registered: 4/24/08
PLUS SIZE BRIDE...HELP !!!!!!!
Posted: May 8, 2008 12:20 PM

Hell ladies,

I am a plus size bride (size 32 in street clothes). I am having a very hard time finding a wedding dress. I went to david's bridal and they only go up to a size 26 (to try on). I know that since I wear a size 32 in street clothes I will probably need a size 36-38 wedding dress. Any suggestions ? I live in Central, NJ.

bellasmom Posts : 36 Registered: 1/28/08
Re: PLUS SIZE BRIDE...HELP !!!!!!!
Posted: May 8, 2008 3:32 PM Go to message in response to: ADazzlingEvent

Hi, I'm plus size too and I know it's very hard to find a dress. But try www.plussizebridal.com most dresses go up to 32 but they do have some dresses that can be made to your measurements.

Also try www.lanebryant.com and www.fashionbug.com

lane bryant only has a few but fashion bug has some really pretty dresses and they're cheap! I think they go to 32 too but check the size charts on all these places and see where you fall. Every manufacturer is cut differently.

Another option is you could find a good seamstress and have your dress made. What's cool about that is you could have a custom dream dress!

I'm getting mine from www.onlinebridalstore.com and they go to 28 but it says you can get custom measurements for an extra $100. Try emailing them and see what they say.

It's pretty unlikely that you'll find dresses in stores to try on. I'm a 22 and couldn't find any to try on anywhere except at David's Bridal. It was really frustrating.  

Almost forgot, try www.bonny.com Bonny has plus size to 32 but again check out the size chart. They have some beautiful plus size dresses. And they have a program where their authorized retailers can borrow a dress in your size to try on. It's on their FAQ page.

You could try ebay too.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll find something and look beautiful!

If I think of anything else I'll let you know. Smile

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: May 8, 2008 3:58 PM Go to message in response to: ADazzlingEvent

I don't have anything to add, I just wanted to wish you luck with your search.

Kenny and Me Perfect Together,  10 years and counting.

Posted: May 8, 2008 4:11 PM Go to message in response to: bellasmom

I am scared to order my dress online because I don't want to order the incorrect size and most sites does not accept returns. But thanks so much for your help.

Message was edited by: EBONYG

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: May 8, 2008 4:24 PM Go to message in response to: ADazzlingEvent

I feel your pain my dear!  I too am a 32 and I couldn't find anything within my budget.  The PP gave great websites but I couldn't justify spending more than $300 on my dress.  (I'm not a real girly girl and HATE dresses) I will caution that fashionbug.com runs "dress" sizes as well, the 32 I couldn't even get zipped! Cry On the plus side they DID allow returns.  So I had ordered 2 and tried them on at home and then promptly returned them.  I ended up getting one from www.roamans.com for $110 but it's not a wedding dress with a train, it's just a flowing white dress.  Some of their dresses go to 44W but alas, the one I got went to 34 and it's a tad snug, I need to find a slimming garment yet!  Good luck!  Roaman's also allows returns BTW, and I think www.womanwithin.com is another "extended plus size" store. 

http://www.mywedding.com/caryandmike/

Posted: May 8, 2008 4:29 PM Go to message in response to: carebearny1999

Finally someone that can relate..lol. I am willing to spend any amount on my dress to look beautiful on my day. i always shop on roamans.com and never saw wedding dresses or dresses that the bride can wear on her wedding day. I will check again and see what I find. I think I am just going to have to get a dress made.

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: May 8, 2008 5:51 PM Go to message in response to: ADazzlingEvent

You have time to get one made, and I'm sure if you find a good seamstress she/he can make you the dress of your dreams!  I didn't have much time, I figured David's Bridal's website says they have dresses to 30, some in 32.  Ok--no problem.  Uh wrong!!  I didn't count on dresses runnig differently and all.  Oh well!  For my morning, outdoor, celtic-themed wedding the one I got works! here it is:  http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg142/carebearny1999/wedding%20stuff/?action=view&current=bridalgown.jpg

Of course I have my FMIL making me a gorgeous custom-embroidered veil...

http://www.mywedding.com/caryandmike/

Michelle070508 Posts : 64 Registered: 12/15/07
Posted: May 8, 2008 6:17 PM Go to message in response to: ADazzlingEvent

Ebonyg, just a thought sometimes shopping the online bridal places are a good idea even if you do not feel comfortable ordering online!!

What i mean is, if you shop all those web sites and find the Designers that Make dresses in Bridal 34-36 then you can find out were the closest retail store is to you that sells (or can order) those Designers!! Its worth a try even if it is 30 or 45 minutes away, you would already have an idea from the web site what dresses you liked, so maybe you could travel around and hit two or three shops in one day!!

My McDreamy and My McDog ... what else could a girl ask for??

Michelle and Travis 07-05-08!!

OrthoRN Posts : 323 Registered: 11/24/07
Posted: May 8, 2008 6:21 PM Go to message in response to: ADazzlingEvent

Look for Bonny plu sized dresses:

http://www.netbride.com/plus-size-wedding-dresses/bonny-unforgettable.php

Ebay may also be a good source to check out.

Good Luck!

DawnaCrystal Posts : 990 Registered: 4/7/08
Posted: May 9, 2008 12:11 AM Go to message in response to: OrthoRN

On etsy.com they have a program called alchemy where you can list what you want and people will bid on how much they will charge to make it for you. It may be worth trying out as some of the women on this site do excellent work. I had a woman in australia make my corset and she made it to my exact measurements (which is nice because I am pretty short). If you don't like any ofthe bids you are not locked into any of them and can reject them all.

You can also email the people on the site directly to see what they may charge. There are some beautiful custom made dresses on there.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=10147159

this particular woman will custom make a dress to your size for 350.00. And it is a beautiful dress.
You can even send a pic of what exactly you want in the alchemy, down to the type of material.

Message was edited by: DawnaCrystal

Posted: May 9, 2008 9:14 AM Go to message in response to: DawnaCrystal

I really appreciate everyone's help. I did find a site that makes dresses to your measurements. It's plussizebridal (i think). I may just order one online and get it altered (if needed).

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine