Rehearsal dinner menu questions...

Online Users: 1,336 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4

geminibridetobe Posts : 83 Registered: 6/5/07
Rehearsal dinner menu questions...
Posted: Apr 30, 2008 12:31 PM

Hi!  I was hoping I could get some great suggestions for two different menu options for my rehearsal dinner.  I have a very picky crowd of 60 coming to the dinner...I had planned the menu and then it occurred to me that it was too similar to what we are having for our wedding (Steak filets and chicken picatta at our wedding).  The group would need a couple choices of items that are real crowd pleasers across the board generally...don't have many seafood/fish fans in the bunch.  Could anyone offer some ideas please?  Thanks!  (ps the rehearsal dinner is being held at a winery). 

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: Rehearsal dinner menu questions...
Posted: Apr 30, 2008 12:42 PM Go to message in response to: geminibridetobe

Well, at our wedding we're doing salmon, chicken franchaise (lemon) and Prime Rib. For the rehearsal dinner, we're having roast turkey, chicken marsala, roast beef with au jus and broiled tilapia.

So I would suggest a different type of chicken like marasla or roast turkey and maybe roast beef as that's red meat but not steak.

Good luck!

Beachwed Posts : 782 Registered: 9/19/06
Posted: Apr 30, 2008 12:44 PM Go to message in response to: geminibridetobe

I don't know what your budget is, but there might be a few options (going off of the winery). I love going to wine bars, and my favorite wine bars actually have small meal options, basically heavy appetizers. This way, people can eat a small piece of fish and have the wine that compliments it, and then when they move onto another wine, they can move onto chicken (as an example) that complements that type of wine. Lots of appetizers may be an option in this case. 

Some of the appetizers that we have at this wine bar are crab cakes, small plates of pasta, shrimp, cheese plates, small thin-crust pizzas (just a few examples)

Another option would be to have pasta stations. Not quite as classy as the wedding and a very different feel, which could be fun. You could add chicken and other meats to pastas and have a variety of sauces. We did this at our wedding as one of our stations, and the chef was there preparing it in person and made a show of it, a lot of fun. 

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Apr 30, 2008 12:47 PM Go to message in response to: Beachwed

Oooohh  Beachwed - nice suggestion.  

Even of the appetizers are not an option, pasta could be one meal option. 

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: May 2, 2008 2:08 AM Go to message in response to: geminibridetobe

I'm all for contrast between the RD and wedding reception, not only contrast in the actual menu items, but also in the styles of the two. So, if the wedding reception is more formal, I'd go very casual for the RD. A grazing menu sounds perfect--call it what you will ( appetizers, small plates, tapas, etc.) Pasta would be terrific. You could have a couple of choices (red vs. white sauce, meat vs. vegetarian, baked pastas like lasagne, a chef doing add-ins). I love ethnic cuisine for RD's (Italian, Asian, Mexican--make your own tacos, fajitas, mini pizzas), and love local cuisine if you have lots of out of town guests (fun to offer things that peoople usually don't get). What options does the winery offer?Have you discussed menu alternatives with the people there?

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine