Sad embarrassed bride (Long)

Online Users: 1,288 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 18

geminibridetobe Posts : 83 Registered: 6/5/07
Sad embarrassed bride (Long)
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 9:46 AM

Hi everyone, I guess I'm just posting this message in hopes to have my spirits lifted a little bit.  I recently sent out my wedding invitations and was very excited but nervous about any mistakes I might have made.  Well, pretty much one problem after another has arisen since they dropped into the mail.  I forgot to include map/directions in the invitation (disappointing but not the end of the world...decided to send the info out later to those that RSVP that they are attending)...Next,  I found out that two of my FH's aunt's were told by the post man (and it was stamped on the envelope) that the envelope had insufficient postage and that they had to pay $.56 to receive it!!  (I weighed the invitations but failed to realize that the awkward large square shape of them causes them to need more postage...many other people got the invitations ok with out the same scenario of having to pay anything or it even being stamped on the envelope-but my mind is going crazy over how many other people experienced this and just didn't say anything)  Finally, I am reading on recent posts that postage is going up May 12th...so now any of my guests that try to send their response cards back past that date will have their card sent back to them for insufficient postage.  I just really feel embarrassed at this point.  Any positive words of encouragement that anyone could offer would really be appreciated.  Thanks!      

Re: Sad embarrassed bride (Long)
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 9:53 AM Go to message in response to: geminibridetobe

don't worry i'm sure they know it was mistake or clueless on stamp pricing. CHEER UP!

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 10:55 AM Go to message in response to: geminibridetobe

Don't worry - none of that is the end of the world.  Just minor problems.  The people that love and care about you are going to come to your wedding regardless of any maps or postage mishaps, because they want to see you and FH on the happiest day of your lives! 

Valerie

Wedding Date:  September 27, 2008

butterflybride08 Posts : 70 Registered: 1/19/08
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 10:59 AM Go to message in response to: geminibridetobe

Don't worry, people are really very understanding about mistakes like those...it could happen to anyone!!!! Since you have a plan to fix the map/directions, and honestly there is nothing to do about the other, try to shrug it off and move on, its the best you could do for yourself!!! I second PP, Cheer UP!!! :D
Daisypath Wedding PicDaisypathWedding Ticker

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 11:43 AM Go to message in response to: butterflybride08

Hi, Gemini -- Don't feel bad.  There are many worse mistakes that could have been made.  I think the US Postal Service is on a secret quest to put every bride in the looney bin. 

Here's an  idea: you could make a joke of it by handing out some of the new "Forever" stamps as guest favors, maybe mounted on a pretty cardboard chart showing the acceptable sizes for envelopes bearing a single stamp.  You could also play a game at your reception and ask your guests to raise their hand if they have never made a mistake on postage. 

"When Women Vote, We All Win!"

EveT

MrsHF Posts : 368 Registered: 10/12/07
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 11:58 AM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

Eve, that is hilarious - I love that idea!  Gemini, trust me, you're not the only one who makes mistakes.  I myself forgot to put our return address on the outside envelopes, so if they can't be delivered for whatever reason, I won't know, cuz they ain't coming back.  The only reason I know I didn't is that when I went to mail out a few stragglers, the woman at the post office said 'do you want to put a return address on these?'  Oh, that might be an idea.  It also might explain why we haven't recieved many RSVP's, but I'm hoping people are just procrastinating. Laughing  So, not to worry, we all do it.

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 12:11 PM Go to message in response to: geminibridetobe

Gemini: Cheer up, girl! This is NOT a big deal at all! Seriously the post man or the office whoever is responsible should be sending all the envelopes back to you so you can add more stamps to them. Last year my boss sent out xmas cards and some when out but most didnt due to the size. Well she ended up getting them all brought back to her house with a note that says next time she should go to the post office to mail things like this. So its not a big deal. If I had been told by the postman I needed to pay .56 cents for an invitation I would do it in a heartbeat and not think twice about it. So dont worry! I doubt anyone is annoyed or thinks you messed up big time!

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 12:12 PM Go to message in response to: geminibridetobe

One other thought. Would it be possible for you to either send out a courtesy email or a make phone calls to let people know of the upcoming increase?

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 2:20 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

OH THANK YOU! THANK YOU guys!!  I really just needed some encouragement...you really helped to lift my spirits!!  Smile

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 2:25 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Oh yeah...and yes I will try my best to get the word out to my invited list about the postage increase Wink

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 2:28 PM Go to message in response to: geminibridetobe

Gemini-you must not have the mindset that just because you feel the envelopes were messed up, everything else will go wrong with the planning!

Like people say, everyone makes mistakes. Find a way to bring it up and then joke about it! It's a really small issue to worry about in the whole scheme of wedding planning.

If it was me, I would call and apologize and then joke about it! EVERYBODY knows how difficult and tedious it is planning a wedding. Course, everybody that's invited to my wedding are friends and family, not the President or the Pope, so they'd just laugh along with me!

Keep your head up and keep up the great wedding planning!  

2BBauer Posts : 478 Registered: 12/15/07
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 2:39 PM Go to message in response to: geminibridetobe

This may not be appropriate, deending on your sense of humor, but I think if this happened to me I would make a joke about it at the reception. Hold up a bag of change and laugh at youself, then tell anyone that if they want their $0.56 then you came prepared with lots of change.
The first day of my happily ever after is 9-13-2008

SocalGal Posts : 456 Registered: 6/3/06
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 5:36 PM Go to message in response to: geminibridetobe

In case you need some more cheering up, gemini -

When we sent out our invitations, my mother's name was spelled wrong!  That's right after typing, spell-checking, proof-reading 5 times forwards and backwards, both my husband and I missed that little typo.  Was I embarrassed?  Of course!  But I shrugged it off and then proceeded to joke about it (she was introduced at the recpetion by the typo'd name).  It's now just one of the little things that made our wedding memorable.  And think about it this way...if this is the biggest thing you have to worry about, then you'll be fine!

True love never has a happy ending; true love never ends.

HisQueenB Posts : 94 Registered: 2/6/08
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 7:08 PM Go to message in response to: SocalGal

At least you didn't forget to put the time that the wedding starts on the invitations!!!! Yea... I can be such an idiot at times!

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 8:13 PM Go to message in response to: HisQueenB

NO NO Ladies.. I think I got ya'll beat!

I bought my DIY invites from Micheals. I was so excited to make my own. My 15 yr. old is better on the computer then I am right. Well I had her help me out font ..color.. and what not. We printed out 50! I thought cool all done. I sent one to my MO to check them out... she called me after she got it and said you are requesting PRESENTS?? I said what do you mean??? She said shouldn't it be PRESENCE? OMG! all 50 had that TYPE-O !

Needless to say I just went out and had them proffecionally done.

I'ma DORKEmbarassed

NANETTE' & JAMES

TO BE UNTIED AS ONE SETPEMBER 27, 2008 

CUTE

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine