cheap plates for reception?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12
cheap plates for reception?
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 4:48 PM

My HTB and I are planning to rent a house at the beach.  Have the wedding on the beach and then have the reception  back at the house.  We thought about renting plates, glassess and silverware, but our budget is 5,000 and the house is a third of the budget.  Renting all those things seems to be an impossibility if we are to stay with in the budget.  We have invited about 45 guests we haven't sent the invitaions so we are not sure excatly how many to expect.   I thought maybe we could buy plates for about a dollar and bring our own silverware and buy wine and beer glassess.  We also thought that perhaps we could find some really nice paper plates, use our own silverware and buy glassess.  Does any one have any ideas about what to do, or suggestions about where to get these items.

-

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Re: cheap plates for reception?
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 9:09 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hey slimcatkim. We are also renting a house on the beach and having our reception in the house. Well actually we have rented one house for the grooms family and one for the brides family and will get married in the brides house. We are going out for the meal but then returning to the house for the party. We are having a luau the next day and have purchased paper plates, decorations and grass skirts from the Oriental Trading Company. I would highly recommend this option for you. You don't want 45 new plates after the wedding. A quick scan indicates that there are 1980 different plates at OTC! They also have matching sets of plates, cups and cutlery. For the actual wedding ceremony all we are using for decorations is votive candles, so thats a big savings. Our budget is set, our vendors selected so let me know if you want more suggestions for money savers ifor your rented house type wedding. Good luck

uno Posts : 619 Registered: 1/4/08
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 10:06 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm assuming that you have space/availability to transport this to the beach.... you could buy some off ebay (shipping is USUALLY pricey though).  I bought 6 dozen (72) drinking glasses for just about $100.  Here's a link to the ebay store I bought and some plates:  http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Dallas-Ware-White-Dinner-Plate-9_W0QQitemZ370039509833QQihZ024QQcategoryZ25384QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

My other suggestion would be to go to the dollar store and get some of those "summery" thick plastic plates/cups/bowls etc.  Or get thick plastic (disposable) plates.  They now make realistic looking paper plates but they are also pricey just to throw away at GFS, costco or sams.

DawnaCrystal Posts : 990 Registered: 4/7/08
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 10:54 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

southerngirl Posts : 281 Registered: 4/5/07
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 11:07 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Have you looked into rental prices? They may be cheaper than you think. Here you can get 12 wine glasses for about $7.00. This eliminates having so many dishes and such left afterwards, and this way you get to use real glass, not plastic.

HamiltonBride Posts : 140 Registered: 7/30/07
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 11:11 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Have you checked out rental prices in your area? Do you have any friends in the food industry?

Restaurant supply stores are amazing! Pretty much every major metropolitan area has at least one, if not several. Some are open to the public, some only to industry peeps. Also, in my experience industry people can always get stuff cheaper. My uncle is a chef and we're getting some great deals! Better than I could get on my own but even without my connections the supply stores are still cheaper than anywhere else. 

In my opinion, it would be kind of awesome to have all of the plates, etc after the fact for future entertaining. Assuming, of course, that you have the storage space for dinner service for 45. But it would probably be good to know how much rentals are - it might be comparable. Also, with rentals they just pick up the dirty stuff the next day, no cleaning!

Please let us know what you decide? I am very curious! 

TakeBackYourWed... Posts : 139 Registered: 4/5/08
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 11:14 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

45 people isn't a ton!  Ask dear family who have fine China if they're willing to use the china! :)  If people have 8 piece settings then you need 6 people to contribue... if 12, obviously less.

Besides, the trend now is to NOT be all matchy matchy with things.

Modern Bride Magazine Trendsetter 2007!

http://www.thefirstdance.com

~~Managing the Family Dynamics of Wedding Planning through a book, dvd, wedding stress coaching, articles and more~~

Posted: Apr 16, 2008 3:46 PM Go to message in response to: southerngirl

Yes, I did look into rental prices. The prices were resonable but the delivery was not so reasonable, with regard to the amount we need and the budget we have.    The plates were less than .50.  I do like how they pick up the dirty plates the next day.  I am thinking about asking if we could pick up the plates the day before and if they could pick them up the next day.  Hoping of course that they could reduce the delivery charge.  With the cost of gas I am not sure they would do that for us.

B2B999 Posts : 700 Registered: 12/7/07
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 10:34 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I don't know what you're feelings on this are but what about disposable stuff? They have plates, cups, silverware now that are inexpensive, disposable and you wouldn't be stuck with a ton of stuff lying around that you do not need or want afterwards (plus cleanup would be a breeze)
When is my wedding

Posted: Apr 24, 2008 11:53 AM Go to message in response to: B2B999

Yeah I think that is just what we are going to do.  The owner of the house we had rented, decided not to let us have the reception in the house.  Even though we were very clear about our intentions when we rented the house.  My mother called him to get the address for the invites and he called her back and said his house was not a party house!  My mom explained to him that this wasn't going to be some beer bash but a nice celebration. The conversation ended with him giving us our money back.  So now I have to rush and find another beach house this weekend.  The wedding is on June 26th.  I  am starting to get a little stressed. Something has to give and I think it is gonna be real plates. 

Yeah I think that is just what we are going to do.  The owner of the house we had rented, decided not to let us have the reception in the house.  Even though we were very clear about our intentions when we rented the house.  My mother called him to get the address for the invites and he called her back and said his house was not a party house!  My mom explained to him that this wasn't going to be some beer bash but a nice celebration. The conversation ended with him giving us our money back.  So now I have to rush and find another beach house this weekend.  The wedding is on June 26th.  I  am starting to get a little stressed. Something has to give and I think it is gonna be real plates. 

Message was edited by: slimcatkim

B2B999 Posts : 700 Registered: 12/7/07
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 12:16 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

If you can not find an appropriate house and do not mind going up to North Jersey - check out Sandy Hook. It is where I'm having my reception and they might be able to accomodate you if the date is available. The prices are very very reasonable and it is right on the beach.

Good luck!

When is my wedding

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine