Grandmother's ring

Online Users: 1,293 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

Bride2BeN2009 Posts : 27 Registered: 1/4/08
Grandmother's ring
Posted: Mar 24, 2008 3:42 PM

Hi ladies,

I am not engaged, but my bf of 4 years and I have talked about it...almost every day for months now. Yesterday was my 20th birthday and my aunt had been saving my grandma's diamonds for me, my sister, and her daughter. My grandmother is not deceased but she is an assisted living home w/ Alsheimers. Anyway, there was a wedding set and a pair of diamond earrings - each one of us girls got to pick something and I got to pick first. I picked the engagement ring - it's really pretty. It looks vintage..3 stone...white gold..antique design on the side. I told my bf that he could keep it and give it to me when he's ready to propose..then I changed my mind b/c I thought that it might bust his bubble in case he wanted to get me something personal from him. Plus, my mom thought it was kind of weird that it's MY grandma's ring, not his..what do you all think? Would you accept an engagement ring that was YOUR grandma's, or would you feel like me..like it's not personal from your FH? Thanks!

Sarahc1019 Posts : 12 Registered: 3/7/08
Re: Grandmother's ring
Posted: Mar 24, 2008 4:56 PM Go to message in response to: Bride2BeN2009

I think it depends on what he thinks. If he loves it and agrees with the sentiment behind it then go for it. If you would rather recieve something new from him that he picks out then go that route. If I were you, I would probably keep grandma's ring as a right hand ring and have him pick something new out. But that is just a personal feeling. Good luck with everything.

nmtgirl Posts : 142 Registered: 2/12/07
Posted: Mar 26, 2008 2:21 AM Go to message in response to: Bride2BeN2009

It all depends on what you feel is right for you! For example, my parents upgraded my mom's ring about 10 years ago but she still keeps her old engagement ring in a drawer. I thought about us using that ring (she had said that I could have it if I wanted it) when we started talking engagement but it didn't feel right for us. So we got our own ring instead. It was just better for us and now I can't stop gazing at my ring every single chance that I get! :) It could be a really romantic story to keep family diamonds like that but it all depends on what is right for you! It's your engagement, honey, and no other rules should dictate it but the rules of your heart and his!

Ashley and Paul - June 2010

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 1:00 PM Go to message in response to: Bride2BeN2009

Hi,

You can take the stones from your grandmothers ring & have them made into a ring for you.  This is what we did:

When my grandmother passed away I was given her E-ring.  Wore it for 20+ years.  I was determined that I was NEVER EVER going to change the ring, because it meant so much to me.

Well fast forward 20 years, we went looking at rings & went into cardiac arrest at the prices of the rings.  We then started looking at settings, to have my grandmothers ring reset.  Well, I found one that I fell in love with, and it happened to be on clearace.

Needless to say I had the stone from my grandmothers rings made into my engagement ring.  The stone looks so much bigger & brighter.  I have the original setting of the stone that means the world to me.

the cost of my engagement ring & wedding band together--$500!  we went back to the same jeweler for DH wedding band & they gave us either 10 or 20% off his.

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 1:28 PM Go to message in response to: Bride2BeN2009

It's really important you don't "burst your fiance's bubble". A lot of wedding stuff is exciting to women, but this is really the guys big moment. Well besides the wedding dayobviously. Whatever you decide, make sure he is truly happy with the decision as well. You can use that jewelry many ways but he only gets to propose once. 

Bride2BeN2009 Posts : 27 Registered: 1/4/08
Posted: Apr 5, 2008 8:47 PM Go to message in response to: Bride2BeN2009

Thanks girls, I agree. We have decided that I'm going to keep it and he's going to pick me out a ring that he likes and that he thinks I'd like :)

futuremrsmason Posts : 239 Registered: 3/21/08
Posted: Apr 9, 2008 6:00 PM Go to message in response to: Bride2BeN2009

I know you already made a decision, but we are using my great-grandmother's ring as well.
Before she passed, she had made him promise to take care of me always...

I think its amazing and sweet...
It doesn't matter where the ring originally came from - its yours and special no matter what...
Wedding Tickers and More From LifeTicker.com

AdorablePlanet.com movingannouncementstore.com

TattooedStarlit Posts : 202 Registered: 12/18/07
Posted: Apr 15, 2008 10:36 AM Go to message in response to: Bride2BeN2009

LilTXBride,                                                                                                                                                                                     I had been thinking of doing the same thing with the ring (having my grandmother's e-ring as mine) but then I decided against it because I knew my FH would want me to have one that was MINE and wasn't someone elses.  Plus, I would feel really weird weing my grandmother's ring on my finger.  It would be a different story if it was HIS grandmother's ring.   You may be happier if you just keep your grandmother's bridal set somewhere safe where you can admire it, that's what I did with my grannies bridal set.  I'm sure whatever you man picks out for you, or you could go pick out a ring with him and have him surpise you with it when he wants to, will be just as nice as your ghrandmother's ring!  Good luck sweetheart! 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine