Where to in southern California for a honeymoon?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 16

ima Posts : 61 Registered: 2/5/08
Where to in southern California for a honeymoon?
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 12:30 AM

My husband and I have been married for 9 years TODAY!!! We are getting married in August ...and since we have a tight budget and two darlings thatwill be waiting for to get back home, I just want to drive no more than a couple of hours to our destination for the weekend.  Any ideas of romantic getaways in southern California?

My husband wants to go on a cruise, (but I can't bring myself to pay for peak season prices) so this romantic getaway has to compete with a cruise. All ideas are appreciated.

TracyRDH Posts : 1 Registered: 3/25/08
Re: Where to in southern California for a honeymoon?
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 1:58 AM Go to message in response to: ima

The Temecula Wine Country is a beautiful place to spend a honeymoon! You can choose to do lots of activities like wine tasting, sight seeing, shopping, etc. or choose to do nothing at all and just enjoy each others' company. There are spa options at some wineries too. South Coast Winery is a nice one to look at, and there are MANY more to check out. Hope this is helpful. :)

Posted: Mar 28, 2008 3:25 PM Go to message in response to: ima

Catalina?

tessnjude Posts : 98 Registered: 2/5/08
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 3:34 PM Go to message in response to: ima

palm springs?

or do you want to be by the beach? in that case i would suggest dana point.

if you tell me what you enjoy doing or what you're interested in, what you're looking for in your trip, i can make more suggestions...

Posted: Mar 28, 2008 6:57 PM Go to message in response to: tessnjude

You know, I would like to go to a place where we could go sightseeing, (but not window shopping, I like it...but my hsuband doesn't) or be involved in local activities/events, or just have a picnic somewhere pretty during the day, and then being able to go dancing or to a show at night. But I don't want to go to far to find these places. Within a walking distance or possibly by shuttle would be nice.

I think palm springs will be too hot in August. So I'm thinking more like a "woodsy" place by a lake. 

Does this "place" I have in mind even exist?  

tessnjude Posts : 98 Registered: 2/5/08
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 7:22 PM Go to message in response to: ima

Well, if you want beautiful with the beach and woods, then I can strongly recommend Carmel.  It's not southern California, but it is some of the most amazing coastline in California.  The town itself is very charming and has lots of scenic things to check out.  San Diego is great if you want activities.  If you stay in downtown / Hotel Circle there is a great night life.  You are also within walking distance of Petco Park, if you want to catch a Padres game.  Then you also have the option of going to the beach or to the San Diego Zoo.  San Diego is also good because you can take the tram to get around (one of the few areas in SoCal where the public transportation is actually good).  If you wanted to stay around Dana Point, you would have the beach, along with the "cute beach town," Pageant of the Masters for evening entertainment (check it out online, I've never been, but heard great things) and Disneyland isn't too far off, if you are in to that kind of thing.  If you have any other questions, just ask, I'd be happy to help!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 11:38 PM Go to message in response to: ima

dear Ima,

So Calif is usually broiling hot in August. Some "woodsy by the lake" places that come to mind would be Big Bear or Lake Arrowhead.

You don't have a lot of choices. So Calif is basically a desert with imported water.

MuffinB Posts : 778 Registered: 7/13/07
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 12:37 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

You don't have a lot of choices. So Calif is basically a desert with imported water.

Gotta disagree with you here, AOTB....sure southern Cali is hot during the summer but it's got some of the best places to visit:

Hollywood

San Diego

Malibu

Santa Barbara

Orange County

Go to fullsize image

Go to fullsize image

Go to fullsize image

Go to fullsize image

Go to fullsize image

Go to fullsize image

Go to fullsize image

Go to fullsize image

Go to fullsize image

Go to fullsize image

Go to fullsize image

Go to fullsize image

Go to fullsize image

goldelox20 Posts : 152 Registered: 8/6/07
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 1:52 AM Go to message in response to: MuffinB

Look at Julian.  It's about an hour east of San Diego proper in the mountains.  It's a quaint town that unfortunately was hit hard by the 2003 fires but came back twice as strong.  There are few "hotels" but lots of B&B's and the best apple pie.  There's not much for shoping except for antiques but lots of nature things to do. 

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 11:55 AM Go to message in response to: MuffinB

Dear Muffin,

Sure, I know there are lots of great places in Southern Calif.

But the OP was looking for a place that is "woodsy by a lake", and her choices along those lines would be limited in So Calif. Plus, August is usually very hot.

Upstate New York? Sure. Minnesota? Great. Wisconsin? Even better.

But So Calif in August? Woodsy by a lake? You're pretty much looking at the mountain communities around Big Bear, Oak Glen, Lake Arrowhead, Crestline, etc., or the San Diego County communities like Julian.

rubyred1 Posts : 968 Registered: 8/9/07
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 12:12 PM Go to message in response to: ima

I recommend San Diego.  There are tons of great things to visit.  You can visit Balboa Park, it has tons of museums and it's a park like atmosphere.  The Gaslamp is also very cool to walk around.  I would also suggest possibly renting a car for a day or two and go to Julian and I would try the Wild Animal Park in Escondido.  I'm partial because I live here, but it's great.  You can also go on a Harbor Dinner Cruise which could be a lot of fun.
http://tac.families.com/ezb/1039358.png

MuffinB Posts : 778 Registered: 7/13/07
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 12:57 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

AOTB- you're right, "woodsy by a lake" is pretty limited in So. Cal.

We're more of a "sunny by the beach" area Cool.

OP- I think your best bet would be San Diego.

AmyDR Posts : 452 Registered: 1/6/08
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 2:14 PM Go to message in response to: MuffinB

I'd go to Disneyland (but I'm actually going to Walt Disney World for the honeymoon)
When is my wedding

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 4:43 PM Go to message in response to: ima

I don't know if you are interested in central Ca at all, but if so there is the Avila Hot Springs in Avila Beach. It is really close to San Luis Obispo(which will have a lot of dancing as well as sight seeing, the famous Madonna Inn). Or there is Cambria which is where the ocean meets the forest. It is close to Hearst Castle and absolutely beautiful there!!!

Posted: Mar 29, 2008 6:50 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Thank you ladies for all the ideas. I'm definitely going to google a lot of these places. I also live in So Ca and know that a woodsy place by a lake is limited, but I was hoping some of you would know of a place  I have not heard of.

Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead are very nice, but my husband and I went there when we got married by court, so I want to go some where different. We've also gone to the madonna Inn for an anniversary and it is very lovely. And know I remember we passed by Carmel and I wanted to go back there. So, I'm gonna look into  nice B&B in the cental coast area. I may not get "woodsy" by the lake, but "woodsy" by the beach is just as nice.

Also, the san Diego mountain area sounds promising. We've been to san Diego and it was fun. And since my mom lives in Riverside county, we can pick up our girls on our way home... And back to reality!

Thanks again for all your input!Smile

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine