Can I write this on my save the date or invitation?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

Jackie22008 Posts : 9 Registered: 3/14/08
Can I write this on my save the date or invitation?
Posted: Mar 23, 2008 12:11 PM

Hello all!  I'm kind of new to this site.  Our wedding is Sunday, Feb. 16th, 2009.  On the invite or save the date, is it tacky to write that the following day (Monday) is a holiday so that people don't think there's work the next day?  If so, how can I word it?  Please help! 

Re: Can I write this on my save the date or invitation?
Posted: Mar 23, 2008 12:16 PM Go to message in response to: Jackie22008

You don't have to worry about that! People will look at their calendars and figure it out. OR like ours (on a Sunday no holiday) a lot of people called and asked, "Is that a Sunday?" and they didn't mind taking off work for it! Girl  . . . you'll have plenty to worry about! Don't sweat this:)

DestoB Posts : 638 Registered: 12/31/07
Posted: Mar 23, 2008 1:31 PM Go to message in response to: Jackie22008

although i can understand that people will look at their calendars and see the date, some may think it's a typo seeing as sunday weddings aren't all that typical.  maybe something like 'mark your calendars for presidents day weekend!' 

i can't get this stinkin' ticker to work so here...  april 18, 2009!

http://llama.jjammies*

We're losing weight while we wait... la la la la laaaaaaaa!!!

Chad Posts : 637 Registered: 10/3/06
Posted: Mar 23, 2008 5:30 PM Go to message in response to: Jackie22008

People aren't complete morons.  They'll figure it out.  Plus, realize that not everyone is off that day.  There are still plenty of folks on the clock.

Chad ~ 11.19.05

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Mar 23, 2008 6:14 PM Go to message in response to: Chad

I see no harm in using a phrase like "Sunday, February 16 -- yes, that's Presidents Day weekend" and some of your guests will probably appreciate it.  Sure, everyone can look at a calendar, but in real life we've got many other things to do and may just stick the STD on the refrigerator or in the "upcoming events" file.

STDs are such a new trend that there is no strict etiquette for their wording the way there is for formal invitations.

"When Women Vote, We All Win!"

EveT

BrandNewAmy Posts : 341 Registered: 7/3/07
Posted: Mar 23, 2008 6:39 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

My wedding is on a Sunday evening, though not a holiday weekend.  It's not going on that late, but certainly there will be people who will need to get up for work the next day, and kids that need to get to bed early since it's a school night.  (Crossing our fingers that some of the parents of those kids will opt to leave them home with a sitter! ;-)  We're putting "Sunday, November 16, 2008" on all of our announcements and Web site so that there's no doubt.  Our out-of-town guests and bridal party members already know that they need to plan to travel on a Monday, and either arrive Friday or Saturday.

Trying to lose 40 lbs. by November 16th!  My weight loss mantra:  "Don't give up what you want the most for what you want at the moment."

Check out our web site:  http://amyandrodney.wedquarters.com/ 

Chad Posts : 637 Registered: 10/3/06
Posted: Mar 23, 2008 8:17 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

STDs are such a new trend that there is no strict etiquette for their wording the way there is for formal invitations.

Actually, STDs have been around for decades.  And yes, there are etiquette guideslines for wording.

Chad ~ 11.19.05

Jackie22008 Posts : 9 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Mar 24, 2008 12:09 AM Go to message in response to: Chad

Thank you all for your different ideas and opinions.  I love all these abbreviations on the forums.  STD is an interesting one lol...anyhow, thanks again for all your input!!

Posted: Mar 24, 2008 7:44 AM Go to message in response to: Jackie22008

I don't think that there's anything wrong with mentioning it, but remember that not everyone has President's day off. So, maybe you want to put Sunday on the STD so people who don't have work off can plan ahead of time.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine