Submerged roses

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 30

KatharineC Posts : 940 Registered: 2/6/08
Re: Submerged roses
Posted: Mar 12, 2008 9:00 AM Go to message in response to: LadyBugBride

Blech, I probably won't be able to find the right containers either. However, I could still do something along the same lines with just one square glass dish - or even a fishbowl or something. What did you end up deciding for your centrepieces, Ladybug?

When is my wedding

On October 31st 2008 I marry my One True Love!

LadyBugBride Posts : 533 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Mar 15, 2008 12:11 AM Go to message in response to: KatharineC

We wound up splurging on some other areas, so we cut back on our floral budget. Our centerpieces were red hurricanes bought on sale at Crate & Barrel outlet (from the previous Christmas). We surrounded them with rose petals and five tealights in votiveholders from Ikea:

We also saved by moving our altarpiece to our headtable:

If you still want to go with the square arrangement I originally posted, I would ask your florist if they can find the pieces. I just surfed the web looking for them, but a florist may have a better sense of where to look for them.

If you want to see more of our pics, you can find them at: http://www.christopherglenn.com/newweddings/files/birgitrich5248willand.html

Daisypath Ticker

Posted: Mar 15, 2008 4:35 AM Go to message in response to: LadyBugBride

Oh my gosh, your church was so GORGEOUS! I just went "WOW". You can't help but have a beautiful wedding in a setting like that! Hey and you have the same colours as me - I'm also doing a red rose bouquet (though mine won't have white in it, I think) and my BMs are in the same crimson/red with white bouquets.

I will probably do a simplified version of the Disney centrepiece. There are a few too many roses for my budget, probably! I would probably just use one bowl with submerged roses, and then surround it with candles and scattered petals. And your hurricane lamp centrepieces look so elegant, it just proves you don't need masses of flowers! Anyway I need something simple because I've asked a friend of mine to put them together on the tables on the morning of the wedding, so they can't be too hectic.

Oh and I was also going to move my altar arrangement to the head table - nice one!

When is my wedding

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Mar 15, 2008 9:00 AM Go to message in response to: KatharineC

i used these with cranberries

Posted: Mar 15, 2008 9:15 AM Go to message in response to: FALLbrideINLOVE

How cute is that? I love the idea of using fruit in the vases! I've seen some lovely ones that look all springtimey with lemon slices.

Thanks; I might do something very similar, or fill the vase all with open blooms with a candle on top if I can't find fruit I like. By the way, how did you keep the rose stuck to the bottom instead of floating up to join the cranberries?

When is my wedding

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Mar 15, 2008 8:28 PM Go to message in response to: KatharineC

you have to use the florist tape, it is more of a putty than anything.  it is sold in all craft stores, it is green on a roll similar to what two sided tape would be.

we tried to use hot glue initially but it didn't work!  after a while the roses popped up!

these stayed all night, everyone commented on them.  it was a good response.  some of the tables i bought floral bouquets from the florist for but these were the real hit which is funny because they are so simple! 

Posted: Mar 16, 2008 12:20 AM Go to message in response to: KatharineC

Thanks. The Chapel was at my alma mater. Twenty-five years ago, I attended convocation there and dreamt of getting married there. If someone had told me it would take 25 years, I probably would have thrown myself off the cliff outside.

Funny thing, I was originally just going to have red roses in my bouquet, but I found these little rhinestones that they put in stephanotis. Plus, stephanoties represents marital happiness, so I added them to my bouquet. Wait till you have to figure out what color bouts everyone gets: DH (black/silver vest) gets red rose to match my bouquet, GMs (red vests) get white rose to match BM; bouquets; Dad's vest matches DH's vest so he gets red rose (and Mom gest red roses to match him); RBs have red vest so they get white roses to match GM. What color to readers get Yell? At this point, do you care??? Have fun Laughing
Daisypath Ticker

Posted: Mar 16, 2008 3:13 AM Go to message in response to: LadyBugBride

I think it's so great that you had the dream of getting married in that place and held onto it for 25 years, and then made it come true! Wow.  I don't think I'm doing anything with this wedding that is any kind of a lifelong dream. In fact, a year ago I probably would have said periwinkle blue for the bridesmaids, no question! Blue is my favourite colour...but then I started thinking about how much I love deep crimson roses, and how romantic it would all look if I used that colour. Blue, in my mind, works better for daytime or for a spring feel. I wanted romance, candles, fairylights etc, so I went with red.

I am actually confused about the men - who wears what colour? If I am wearing white with red flowers, and the BMs are wearing red with white flowers, then ideally I'd like my FH to wear a white tie and the best man to wear a red tie to match the girls. BUT then does FH get a red boutonierre to match my red flowers and the Best man get white, or the other way round so that my Fh is ALL in white to indicate he's the groom, and the Bestman all in red to indicate he's with the bridesmaids..?

FallBride, thanks for the tip about the florists tape - I'll look out for it! And that glue doesn't work - I would've tried that first too.

When is my wedding

Posted: Mar 16, 2008 3:06 PM Go to message in response to: KatharineC

See, I wasn't kidding when I mentioned about the whole flower matching conundrum. My previous discussion summarizes a sleepless night I had almost exactly two years ago as I prepared for my florist meeting on 3/17. Obviously, you can do it anyway you want, but this will illustrate my train of thought.

Meet my DH (on the right) and his brother the best man (who was dressed exactly like the other GMs. My DH wouldn't wear a white vest; he thought it would make him look fat (I was lucky to get him in a white shirt). So he wore a silver and black herringbone vest. The GMs wore an "Apple" (red in DB/After Hours Formal speak) and black herringbone vests to match the DB BM dresses (and, BTW, did you notice that my BM dresses had V-necks to match my dress???). DH got a bout of a red rose and stephanotis to match my bouquet, GMs got a white rose to match the BM bouquests. The RBs had the same vest as the GMs, so they got a white rose, too.

Meet my Mom & Dad. You will recognize my Dad by the silly grin on his face (he had such a good time) and his really thin wallet. He had the same vest as my DH, so he got a red rose, sans stephanotis. My Mom, having chosen the classic neutral-Mother-of-the-Bride-outfit got red roses to match my Dad.

The readers got red roses because at that point I really didn't care and "rose red" was kind of the theme of the wedding.

So, here we are with all our clothes and flowers all matched up.

Honestly, I doubt anyone noticed that level of detail, but I knew. I originally contemplated matching flowers with vests/dresses, the way you mentioned, but I think to do that you would have to start with white flowers for you and red flowers for your BMs.

Daisypath Ticker

Posted: Mar 16, 2008 4:02 PM Go to message in response to: LadyBugBride

Wow, thanks! Yours is even more confusing than mine will be, because my Fh is just having the Best Man and no other groomsmen. So the only men that will need flowers are the groom, best man, and fathers. You had a lot more people, AND children! I'm still confused about which way to go with who gets red or white, but like you said, no one will really notice the level of detail! It's only we brides who notice and worry about this stuff!

When is my wedding

springorchid Posts : 176 Registered: 4/8/07
Posted: Mar 16, 2008 7:47 PM Go to message in response to: KatharineC

Perhaps you could use a miniature rose as a straight replacement for the orchids in your original picture.  Most have multiple blooms per stem.  

With each step I am more certain
Everything will turn out fine
I have confidence the world can all be mine
They'll have to agree I have confidence in me

I have Confidence, The Sound of Music

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 2:23 AM Go to message in response to: springorchid

Oh that's a good idea, thanks!

Btw, "I Have Confidence" is my favourite song from The Sound of Music!

When is my wedding

daybug Posts : 159 Registered: 10/7/07
Posted: Mar 17, 2008 3:10 AM Go to message in response to: FALLbrideINLOVE

This might be a REALLY dumb question, but how do you get the flowers to not float to the top of the vase? I'm doing the same thing with submerged roses and a floating candle on top, but I can't get the flowers to stay towards the bottom!

daybug Posts : 159 Registered: 10/7/07
Posted: Mar 17, 2008 3:12 AM Go to message in response to: daybug

Never mind...I should have read all the posts before I asked the question!

MrsBranch Posts : 97 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Mar 18, 2008 3:19 PM Go to message in response to: KatharineC
RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine