Wording of Names question

Online Users: 1,251 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 2

dontknow Posts : 43 Registered: 8/28/07
Wording of Names question
Posted: Feb 4, 2008 6:48 PM

Here's my problem- there are a few work associates that I feel I must invite to the wedding- but I don't know them very well- and here's my problem: I actually don't have their addresses- is it ok to mail the invitations to work or is that tacky? For various reasons, it would be very awkward for me to ask them where they live. Also, some of them are married but use their maiden names at work (while using their married names outside of work)-- problem is, I don't know their married names- and I don't know the names/ correct spelling of their spouses. Is it wrong to address the invitation to Ms Maidename and Guest? -- thanks for the help

Chad Posts : 637 Registered: 10/3/06
Re: Wording of Names question
Posted: Feb 4, 2008 10:58 PM Go to message in response to: dontknow

Invitations need to go to their homes.  Just ask for their addresses and prefered name/title spellings.  If it's too awkward to ask these simple things, there's no way they should be invited to your wedding.

In the case of someone married, "and guest" is pretty much a slap in the face.  It ain't so hot for long-term relationships either.  Get the names or just don't invite them.

Chad ~ 11.19.05

dontknow Posts : 43 Registered: 8/28/07
Re: Wording of Names question
Posted: Mar 10, 2008 12:57 PM Go to message in response to: Chad

thanks for the advice- I tried your suggestions but because of the particular type of work environment that we have-- they didn't go over very well, 3 people said they'd prefer getting their invites at work and didn't want to give out their address (we have privacy concerns in this line of work) and when I asked 2 people about their spouses names- they laughed and said they'd rather have it say guest b/c they didn't want to have to bring their spouses! So that's how I went about it- thanks anyway. Hope your plans are going well.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine