Too good to be true? Mary's Bridal Question?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 9

Charlotte09 Posts : 1,021 Registered: 2/22/08
Too good to be true? Mary's Bridal Question?
Posted: Mar 6, 2008 11:20 PM

Did any of you girls ever try on or purchase a gown from Mary's bridal. I found the site online and love a lot of the dresses and the prices. However, I am kind of wondering if it is too good to be true to find such sparkly and detailed gowns for less than $1,000. I found some gowns I love and want to try on and I found a prom dress that is ADORABLE that I also am interested in to wear at my reception. My fav. gown is $1,000 at the most and the prom dress is $300, this is according to the website. I budgeted $3,000 for all of my attire so $1,300 for a gown AND a reception dress is amazing, but is it too good to be true? 

I must add I have not tried them on yet and was going to wait until this summer for my dress shopping so trying them on could make me change my mind. But I am pretty confident I would find at least a gown out of the list of ones I like from looking at the website.  

coastiebride Posts : 1,365 Registered: 3/26/07
Re: Too good to be true? Mary's Bridal Question?
Posted: Mar 6, 2008 11:26 PM Go to message in response to: Charlotte09

Nope thats really the price and they are very pretty gowns too!!! But the material is not the best but no one will never notice try them and see how you feel in them!

Lets not all get caught up in our wedding. Remember we should not only be planning for a our wedding but more so we should be planning for  our marriage. More so then fighting over shades of peach, tuxs, cake flavors and only god knows what else. Because the next morning it is over, guests are gone the flowers have died the cake well lets face it 1/2 of it was tossed out. Cinderella is still a maid, the limo is now a pumpkin And there is life to face ok after wild crazy monkey sex for 7 nights straight, lets not kid out selfs there are priorities After its all gone there's still bills to pay and a job to go back to

Going to the Chapel December 6th 2008

Love is a four-letter word spelled G-I-V-E

Posted: Mar 7, 2008 10:27 AM Go to message in response to: Charlotte09

Let me tell you about online dress shopping...

IT'S AWESOME!

I went to all the stores, tried stuff on, nothing was under $1,500 and nothing was spectacular. I stumbled upon JuliusBridal.com, and WOW! I bought a REEM ACRA replica with veil, slip, bustle, customizations, and shipping for $800! I was really afraid of buying online because the prices were so low, I thought the dresses must be cheaply made. Not at all! I don't know about other stores, but JB definitely made me one heck of a dress! So much beadwork and embroidery that it should be about $5,000 or more! I saw some Mary's Bridal styles there too. Check them out!

LizWearsTights Posts : 57 Registered: 8/20/07
Posted: Mar 7, 2008 10:55 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I've noticed that you have to pay at least $1000 extra if you want a fancy foreign-sounding name on the tag.  

Also, I don't understand this whole deal about "good material" and "cheap material."  Unless the dress is made out of polyester, the quality really doesn't matter that much, because you'll only be wearing it for 8 hours-ish, you know? 

http://mondaybear.com

Posted: Mar 7, 2008 11:10 AM Go to message in response to: Charlotte09

Hi Charlotte,

I tried on lots of Mary's dresses, and ended up buying one as my wedding dress.  The price was awesome for such a beautiful dress (I had tried on one very similar but a Maggie Sottero and it was $400 more!)  The sizes are very close to 'real life' sizes.  I'm a 14 and the 14 fit me perfectly.  The dress came in in Jan, and I have my first fitting in 2 weeks, although all I need is a bustle.  Please take a look at my profile, I posted the pictures from the Mary's website of my dress.  I don't have any of me in it yet...

Posted: Mar 7, 2008 1:20 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Great. I was just so afraid they were really horrible in person. I have budgeted myself $3,500 for my entire look so that includes dress, veil, tiara, shoes, bra, and slip. With Mary's bridal I would have enough money to get a reception dress too! I found one on Mary's and it is actually a prom dress, but I love it for my reception. I just hope it is still around by this summer because I do not want to go buy dresses now.  

I am not sure if I mentioned this in my first post but my mom really wants me to get my dress at the place I work because I get a 25% discount. I will be going there for my veil and ect. But I am obsessed with these Mary's Bridal gowns. Plus I am paying for it so I guess my mom can get over it haha. I cannot wait until summer to try on!  

Posted: Mar 7, 2008 1:37 PM Go to message in response to: Charlotte09

It's not to good to be true!
My dress was a mary's bridal I absolutely LOVED it! It was perfect for me I didn't spend over A$500.00 dollars on it! The store was going out of business!

Here's the link to mine!

http://www.marysbridal.com/bridal/6371.htm

I wore the one in PINK! And Loved it!

Good luck!

I became a MRS...11/3/07!

When is my wedding

Posted: Mar 7, 2008 3:11 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I love your alls dresses. I actually thought of a pale pink gown, but FH kinda made a funny face about it and I think that my traditional and older family members would shutter at the idea. We will see though. 

I just hope that the two shops that are near me have a good variety of Mary's Bridal gowns. Their website says these places carry them. If all else fails I can drive 2 hours to a much much bigger city where they would have to have Mary's Bridal gowns.  

I just became very budget conscious when FH and I found out we were going to have to pay more out of our own pocket for our wedding. My parents kind of led us on and then gave us half the amount of money yadda yadda. I am so exciting and just DYING to try on gowns now but trying to loose weight so I can look extra great in them.  

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: Mar 7, 2008 3:59 PM Go to message in response to: Charlotte09

I had a mary's gown and it was fantastic!  Excellent quality, and like you I loved the details.  I have heard from other brides on here that if you wear a larger size (like 16+) that they spread out the beadwork and it doesn't look right.  But I heard this about a year ago and it was not first hand information, so i'm not sure that is really the case! 

My dress cost about $800, and I ordered a veil (from a different company) at the same time... with tax and everything it came to about $1000.  And the shop included all my alterations!  I saved money on shoes by getting them at TJ Maxx ($15) and I got my tiara from ebay for $30. (The exact same one in the bridal shop was over $300).

Here's a couple dress pictures:

And the dress on the model (it's white and mine was ivory... never would have picked it based on this pic!):

Posted: Mar 8, 2008 2:03 AM Go to message in response to: HLYflute

Another lovely gown, I am so glad to hear that you all are pleased with Mary's. It really made me thrilled to find these very detailed gowns at amazing prices. 

As for the beading being separated for larger sizes I have never heard that! And from working with gowns I have never noticed that at all. I know that plus sized gowns can cost more than a misses sizes obviously because they have to use more material and probably also because they have to use more beads because it is a bigger dress.  

I am sooo excited to go try on Mary's gowns now! 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine