1950s guide is a HOAX!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 3

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
1950s guide is a HOAX!
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 10:18 PM

The supposedly 1950s "guide to being a good wife" from "Housekeeping Monthly" magazine is a hoax.  Check www.snopes.com if you want more information.
EveT

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: 1950s guide is a HOAX!
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 11:21 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

Dear Eve,

Good catch.

I was around in the 1950s, and never heard of that magazine. The part about letting him stay out all night gave it away.

RDWM Posts : 1,354 Registered: 9/27/06
Posted: Jan 24, 2008 12:29 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

It is an entertaining little piece but I am glad you exposed it for just what it is. My parents were married in 1934 and I came along in 1964, via adoption. They had separate beds, she did all of the housework and cleaning while he took care of the major income and all things in the yard. He far from owned her. She spent his money at will, grew cucumbers for Nalleys to put their eldest son through law school, and they continued going out for dinner and dancing until his death. 

You two are two of my favorites here. I am 43 so you 2 are of the perfect age for me to always have thought you to be the cool girls.  

Eve, I hope you are loving being a newlywed again. I'd love to see you around here more. Aunt of the bride, please see your private messages.  

sweet dreams ladies. 

Danille

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and that last fish has been caught
will we realize that we can't eat money.
- Cree Proverb

mssharp Posts : 18 Registered: 12/28/07
Posted: Jan 24, 2008 1:14 AM Go to message in response to: RDWM

Thank you, thank you! I think my absolute biggest pet peeve in life is people who disseminate urban legends as "facts" (even in humor). Snopes is my god :)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine