bad advice to brides size 6-10!!!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 20

JudithBos Posts : 5 Registered: 12/18/07
bad advice to brides size 6-10!!!
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 3:10 AM

Dear brides,

I wanted to start a post to warn brides that have size 6 - 10 and dont want to have a great big ballroomdress or a princess dress. Most of them are ill advised that because of their size they couldn't wear a mermaid/ sheat or empire dress!
The point is that making such a dress looks stunning, it costs them extra work! It's you special day, so don't get a dress you don't want!
The secret is in hiding your 'problem parts' behind a top or wearing the right underwear. 

jedigurl Posts : 336 Registered: 5/25/07
Re: bad advice to brides size 6-10!!!
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 10:54 AM Go to message in response to: JudithBos

"because of their size"???

Forgive me because I know you meant well by your post, but that is just one of the weirdest things I've ever heard!  I'm a size 8 and I've never EVER been told I couldn't wear something "because of my size".  If anything I've always been told I could wear anything (and as a matter of fact I DID wear a fitted mermaid for my wedding).  Who on earth would say that?

A size 18 could wear a sheath if she wanted as long as everything was proportionate!

It's like the whole Jennifer Love Hewitt thing!

MermaidBride08 Posts : 554 Registered: 9/26/06
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 11:37 AM Go to message in response to: jedigurl

Yeah, that doesn't make much sense to me, either. Small sizes always get told they can wear whatever they want. I've just noticed that everywhere (but here) always tries to talk girls into "princess" dresses, pretty much regardless of their size.

I'm going against "advice", though. I'm short, but I'm wearing a ballgown, I'm big-busted, but I'm wearing a strapless sweetheart. Hey, I like it, big deal. I absolutely hate A-line gowns and that's what everyone keeps trying to put me in. Grrr! 

PrincessAurora Posts : 89 Registered: 11/16/07
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 12:50 PM Go to message in response to: MermaidBride08

ok, first off I have no idea what the OP is talking about haha. 6-8 is like the ideal woman's size isn;t it? they can always buy off the rack at stores, always find something that fits and looks good.

secondly... to MermaidBride08, small sizes can't always wear whatever...
also I think big busted in a strapless sweetheart sounds perfect! I don't get what's wrong it at all.

So close to reaching that famous happy end...

HooahBride Posts : 341 Registered: 9/19/07
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 2:24 PM Go to message in response to: JudithBos

I was a little confused by the OP, but I have a mermaid dress, and it is a size 6...a bit big on me, I think it will do after the alterations. So are you saying people of those sizes will not look good in that style?

Daisypath Wedding PicDaisypathWedding Ticker

Fitzer Posts : 643 Registered: 8/7/07
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 2:33 PM Go to message in response to: HooahBride

I think what she was trying to say was that salepeople at bridal shops tell size 6-8 girls that they can't wear mermaids or sheaths, but that those people are wrong.  Although it's hard to tell from her wording...

jedigurl Posts : 336 Registered: 5/25/07
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 3:53 PM Go to message in response to: Fitzer

Fitzer, I'm pretty sure you're right.  I believe she meant well.

It's just bizarre.  As a PP said, those are fairly average-to-ideal dress sizes.  I've just never been told anything negative like that...ever.  Neither has anyone I know of a similar size.

I mean, in what f***ed up world is a size 6 "too big" for anything???

Zangel Posts : 12 Registered: 11/27/07
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 4:08 PM Go to message in response to: JudithBos

That really doesn't make any sense to me.  I would assume that most of the brides wearing mermaid dresses are probably a size 6 to a size 10/12.  I was actually encouraged to wear a mermaid gown because the big poofy gowns looked huge on me.  I'm a size 6/8, and I think the mermaid style fit me perfectly.

futuremrsperry Posts : 1,904 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: Dec 22, 2007 1:47 PM Go to message in response to: JudithBos

I know you meant well, but I find your post to be a bit offensive.  Who cares what people think, where the dress you want.  and since when is 6-10 considered "big" or women of "size"??  I'm a size 10 and I'm not "big".

Message was edited by: futuremrsperry

Posted: Dec 22, 2007 2:22 PM Go to message in response to: JudithBos

I see many of the girls are surprised, but to tell you the truth one of the first things i was told at the store when I started brwosing through mermaid dresses was: "You shouldnt look there. These are mermaid style dresses, and you are so tiny. It will not suit you." So you know, that really enraged me cos it is none of their business which dress I am looking at and it is not them who have to tell me what will suit me and what will not, cos in the majority of the cases all they are interested in is not whether the dress will look good on you, but actually in selling the dress. There were millions of times when I was trying something really aweful and was completely realising and I would hear from one of the shop assistants: "Oh, it suits you sooooo much!" And as a person who, in my opinion, I know something about clothes and fashion I was really shocked at what I was listening to. So, my advise is to never listen to those ones at the stores, but if you really need an advise, you better ask someone close to you for that. I eventually chose a puffy dress, but not because they told me not to choose a mermaid one, but only because I always wanted a puffy princess dress myself.

JudithBos Posts : 5 Registered: 12/18/07
Posted: Dec 26, 2007 8:02 AM Go to message in response to: futuremrsperry

Maybe some background should be added, I'm not fat at all, but I do have a bit too much fat. I.m a size 8 myself and in four of the 5 shops I went, they wouln't even aloow me to try on a mermaid dress, the one I like. 
To my reloef the last shop let me try ont one, and everyone just loved my dress!
I went around and asked other brides I knew and they said execty the same happened to them! 

karma898 Posts : 69 Registered: 7/9/07
Posted: Dec 26, 2007 3:56 PM Go to message in response to: JudithBos

I've never heard of that happening, I bought a mermaid gown and I'm in between a size 6 and 8 for wedding gowns.  Most of the stores I went to WANTED me to try on mermaid gowns because they said it would look great on my figure.  I did try on poofy gowns as well, but the mermaid silhouette was definitely the style for me.  

karma898

Posted: Dec 31, 2007 12:37 AM Go to message in response to: JudithBos

the title of the post is "bad advice." Oh and about sales girls pushing you into stuff, I'm I big girl and I had a sales girl, at a reputable shop nearly force me to try on a dress four sizes too small and when i finally relented to trying on a dress three sizes too big, she said it was perfect. I looked like a fish in a frilly bowl

MrsWilliams2008 Posts : 1,431 Registered: 7/19/07
Posted: Dec 31, 2007 12:54 AM Go to message in response to: JudithBos

If sizes 6-10 are "too big" for mermaid dresses, I'm on the verge of being a whale!

I know this is random, but people make me SICK with this "skinny" crap...and I'm not talking about those that are naturally petite, but those who are literally starving themselves to death to fit an image of what society thinks is "beautiful". The world would be a better place if people ATE a cookie every now and then. I say if the dress looks good on you, GET IT! Doesn't matter if you are a size 2 or 20.

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/RyAnne Stafford&RobertWilliams, Jr

R&R: June 21, 2008

PrincessAurora Posts : 89 Registered: 11/16/07
Posted: Dec 31, 2007 9:34 AM Go to message in response to: MrsWilliams2008

I'm sorry, but as a recovering anorexic I'm asking you to please watch what you say; no one asks for an eating disorder, they are genetical predisposed and it is often a symptom of anxiey disorder which needs to be treated through therapy and medication. Eating a cookie will not solve a disorder, it just makes me feel like I'm huge. 

watch what you say please. Brides.com doesn't need to become a place to bash the eating disordered

So close to reaching that famous happy end...

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine