fake nails?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 15
fake nails?
Posted: Dec 15, 2007 10:48 AM

I was thinking about trying acrylics for my nails. I love the look of a french manicure but it never seems to last more than a couple days on my natural nails. Anyone know anything about them or have experience with them?

Thanks!

OrthoRN Posts : 323 Registered: 11/24/07
Re: fake nails?
Posted: Dec 15, 2007 10:55 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

If you get the actual colored tips - they last a long time. The brushed on/polished on white tips tend to chip faster. I purchased a French tip nail kit for $5 & did my own nails & toes. They were beautiful! Granted they did not stay perfect forever, but looked good for about 4-5 days & saved considerable amount of $$. There are usually enough of the stencil stickons to do your nails about 3 times, too.

Love2u Posts : 1,661 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Dec 15, 2007 10:55 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Polish on fake nails does last longer, and if done well, look absolutely fabulous.  The biggest drawback to fake nails is that once you get them, you will have to have them maintained (filled) everl 2-4 weeks, depending on how quickly your nails grow.  If you take them off, your nails are paper thin and will break easily until they grow out.

If you get fake nails, make sure you find a reputable salon.  There are lots of really good salons around, but there have been several cases of women getting serious infections because the salon didn't properly sanitize their equipment and supplies.

Things I look for in a salon is that the technicians' licenses are current, that they always use new buffers and files for each customer, that they sanitize their nail and cuticle clippers in a heat sanitizer (not just the blue liquid), and that they clean and flush the peducure stations between each customer.

Love2uKiss

CathMary Posts : 303 Registered: 10/2/07
Posted: Dec 15, 2007 12:30 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I never wanted fake nails but i caved in this past summer when I got engaged! lol They are reallly nice, BUT I got them filled for about a month and it has taken over 3 months for my nails to be back to normal pretty much. it makes them crappy and thin. Just a warning if you decide to get them. It takes a little getting used to though.

Catherine

February Wedding!

MrsWilliams2008 Posts : 1,431 Registered: 7/19/07
Posted: Dec 15, 2007 11:03 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I've had an experience with fake nails and it was horrible. The salon did a great job, but after the nails served their purpose for an event, I decided to get them off. They took FOREVER to come off and in the process, they looked terrible. When they finally came off, my real nails were yellow and VERY weak. 

My natural nails are very nice and strong and grow well. I'm just going to have the salon shape them up and do an american manicure on them.

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/RyAnne Stafford&RobertWilliams, Jr

ryanandamanda Posts : 376 Registered: 7/25/07
Posted: Dec 15, 2007 11:15 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I've had fake solar nails for ummm....two years straight.  Yeah it will probably suck when I get them taken off.  I always get the white tips, and yes filled every 2-3 weeks.  So every other week I need to get a two-tone fill so they add more white to the tips.  So every other time it's either $20 or $30.  I absolutey go crazy without them, I think my fingers look like little 12 year old boy fingers without them.  LOL

Posted: Dec 16, 2007 12:34 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have a friend who gets gel on top of her real nails.  They have WHITE gel and clear gel and they simulate a french manicure with the gel, but they don't have to file your natural nail down for it to adhere like with acrylics.  This would be a good temporary option for your wedding and honeymoon, and should last at least 2 weeks without the post acrylic issues the rest of us get.  I am a chiropractor and have to opt for acrylics since they are thicker and won't scratch my patients, otherwise I would use this option.  I would try the salon you are considering at least a month before the wedding to see if you like the job they do.  Kind of like a trial hairdo, you want to know you like it, BEFORE it's too late.  good luck

Ashleyl525 Posts : 1,590 Registered: 12/27/06
Posted: Dec 16, 2007 1:52 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

if you get acrylics get the UV gel acrylics...Also have them put an extra coat of clear top coat so that your airbrushing doesnt chip as easy...i have them do that to mine and 99% of the time i have no chipping when i go back to the salon to have them filled...

Also for a price the salons around here all offer a removal service which is alot better for your nails and wont damage them like you peeling them off will..

good luck and have fun with it!!!!

Much love and Support!!

Ashley

Once An Ugly Ducking Soon A Beautiful Swann 

Way to go Curvatious Cuties!!!!

BrideChica Posts : 2,300 Registered: 12/25/06
Posted: Dec 16, 2007 9:26 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Pink and white tips are another way to go.  I get a fill-in every three to four weeks, since they last so long.  It saves me time and money.

dewdropinn Posts : 156 Registered: 2/27/07
Posted: Dec 16, 2007 11:02 AM Go to message in response to: BrideChica

I just finished cosmetology school last week, so I actually have a lot of advice on this sort of thing. 

Unless somebody is using some unusual product line, the prep for acrylic or gel nails is nearly identical. Done properly the gels have to be filed off and acrylics will come off with just an acetone soak.

If somebody filed your nails down to put your acrylics on, they did something they shouldn't be doing. Your nails just need a tiny scratching across the surface, just enough for the product to adhere to. If somebody filed your nails really thin either to apply or fill your acrylics, I'm sorry but they don't know what they are doing.

As far as sanitation, you really need to worry that a person is applying a good dehydrating nail prep before the products are applied to the nail bed... water or air pockets are what causes infections (oxygen will actually kill most "nail molds") 

If you are looking for an artificial nail look that is temporary (couple weeks) I would suggest getting plastic tips with a fiberglass overlay. It only takes a little practice to be able to do this yourself. First you want to glue tips on and file them to the right shape. Fiberglass overlay comes in a roll, it is like tape. You cut the fiberglass to be the right shape/size for your nail and press it across getting the air bubbles out. You then put a coat of nail glue or nail resin (more expensive) across the nail which will hide the texture of the fiberglass. Buff lightly. If you use white tips, this will essentially look like a cross between beautiful natural nails and acrylics. The fiberglass is also good for when you crack a nail really far down and need to reinforce the nail so it doesn't hurt you and rip off.

I wouldn't do gels or acrylics for one event, it is going to be a hassle, you have to buff your nails after and with the gels you actually have to file them off because they usually can't be removed. 

coastiebride Posts : 1,365 Registered: 3/26/07
Posted: Dec 16, 2007 11:14 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

only go with the white tips or the powder finish. THe last the longest. The gel is better then the acrilic but to me but its matter its a personal choice. I love doing the gel they dont have to mess with filing my nails to get the acrilic on and they last longer as well.

Going to the Chapel December 6th 2008

Love is a four-letter word spelled G-I-V-E

Check out my personal site :myspace.com/dixidarlinxo

Check out my wedding website too: http://jharrellandbpittman.weddings.com

soon2bmrswarner Posts : 187 Registered: 10/23/07
Posted: Dec 16, 2007 5:06 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I've had acrylic tips many times and they look beauitful-but they destroy your nails. Now I get silk wraps. They are a little more expensive, but they don't do nearly as much damage to your real nail and they look just as nice as acrylic. Smile

Janet81 Posts : 56 Registered: 1/11/07
Posted: Dec 16, 2007 6:51 PM Go to message in response to: soon2bmrswarner

what are silk wraps? I've been thinking about getting acrylics for my wedding. I've never had them, but I've heard they are really bad for your real nails.

Also, I have really weak natural nails. They crack and split easily. It also doesn't help that I am a habitual nail biter, so they are really short and ragged looking.

ryanne Posts : 1,042 Registered: 4/27/06
Posted: Dec 16, 2007 9:01 PM Go to message in response to: Janet81

lol. My natural nails are terrible too. They are weak for one thing, and I am also a nail biter. I know it's a bad habit, and I have been trying to stop since I was 12, and I do okay and my nails grow out...and then they break. Or chip. Or peel. And then I bite. Oops. :) hehe.

Aren't there vitamins you can take that strengthen your nails and improve your hair and skin too??

But whatever. I'm getting my nails done somehow for my wedding. I don't really have any other option, unfortunately. :)

Our Wedding Website: http://chrisandryanne.weddingannouncer.com

soon2bmrswarner Posts : 187 Registered: 10/23/07
Posted: Dec 17, 2007 10:43 AM Go to message in response to: Janet81

Janet, silk wraps are just pieces of silk (or fiberglass depending on what you want) that are cut to the shape you want and then glued to your nail. They are actually used a lot by women (like me) who have nails that chip and break a lot to make your nails stronger.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine