What did you always dream of?

Online Users: 1,302 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 20

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
What did you always dream of?
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 8:00 PM

My DH and I were talking the other day and I mentioned that as a teenager I always dreamed that when I got married my mom and sister and I would make all the food ourselves for the reception, which would be at home.  I was curious what some of you other brides "always dreamed" your wedding would be like.

As it turned out, when I got married the 1st time (at age 21) my mom had passed away.  She was diagnosed with cancer when I was 19 and died 11 months later.  And my sister had gotten married before me and moved about 500 miles away, so she was able to come to the wedding (she was MOH) but not to help with things ahead of time.  Not only that, but my dad had sold the house (too many memories).  We ended up having the reception at the groom's parents' house and it was wonderful, but would have been even more wonderful if I could have managed to make the food.

My make-the-food dream finally got fulfilled when I got married for the 3rd time, at age 41 -- sort of!  The wedding was in the house that the groom and I had just bought.  My sister and sister-in-law and I worked in the kitchen all day the day before the wedding.  We got a few items from outside vendors (a cold poached salmon and, of course, the wedding cake) but made everything else from scratch, including dinner rolls from yeast dough which I kneaded by hand.

When I told my DH about this, he wanted to know why I cared about making the food.  Why?  Do I have to have a reason?    I guess it's just that my young-girl image of myself was that I wanted to be a good cook and wanted people to enjoy my cooking, I dunno!

What do you other ladies have in your "always dreamed" category?

EveT

ChucksGrl0215 Posts : 407 Registered: 8/27/07
Re: What did you always dream of?
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 9:42 AM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

I always wanted my reception to be at my parents' house. Just like in Father of the Bride but my parents' live in a twin house which is definately no place for a wedding reception. I also dreamed of going to Europe for my honeymoon. I have never been but have always wanted to...especially France since I have always wanted to live there. FH and I are paying for the honeymoon ourselves and Europe is way too expensive so we settled on Disney World which is fine with me. Finally the past couple of years I have always dreamed of having a destination wedding. I found that the older I got the smaller of a wedding I really wanted. I really just want to invite our friends and family and get married at Italy or France and make an entire week out of it. I'm not getting any of those dreams but I am getting a fantastic wedding in October 2009 thrown by my parents and it is definately more than I had expected. Besides I'm marrying my best friend so that makes those dreams seem like nothing although it would of been nice to have my dream wedding.

www.mywedding.com/meghanandchuck

marty08 Posts : 1,110 Registered: 7/1/07
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 10:32 AM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

I don't think I ever dreamed big for a wedding.  I knew I always wanted my grandpa to give me away(my dad's dad) He has passed away so I am having snapdragons put in my Mom's and brothers flowers( my brother is giving me away and my Mom was always so close to grandpa...Heck, everyone always thought he would "hook up" with my Mom's Mom...they were sooo cute together!!).  Then I always thought I'd want to get married on the beach..I don't even like water...ha ha!!...good thing I'm an aquarius!!...but now I live in the desert..so I got my sand!!

LochNessie Posts : 1,631 Registered: 4/2/07
Posted: Dec 25, 2007 9:43 PM Go to message in response to: marty08

I never really dreamed about my wedding.  I actually didn't think I'd ever get married.  I certainly didn't expect to be the first one of my friends to take the plunge!

-Ness

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/VanessaClarke&TimShortley

Oh baby don't it feel like Heaven right now? Don't it feel like something from a dream? - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 9:51 AM Go to message in response to: LochNessie

I know what you mean LochNessie. I'm the first of my friends but I always thought I would be. I will say though that I'm not that crazy about being the first. I feel like you don't understand fully how important everything is to the bride until you have actually been one. I was putting together my wedding website and asked my wedding party to write up a short bio on themselves and send me a picture they liked. The guys took forever to do it but I expected that but my girls took a really long time too. It was a little frustrating since it really should of only took about 5-10 minutes. I kind of feel like if they had already been through their weddings then they may of been a little but better about doing it.

BreAnn Posts : 600 Registered: 11/28/07
Posted: Dec 27, 2007 10:39 AM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

I always told everyone I didn't want to get married. But I knew in my heart that if I did, I wanted my dad there to walk me down the aisle. So after my "I'm never getting married" phase, I went into the "I'll just elope" but I know my dad wouldn't go so there went that. So then it was "I'll just have a small wedding." Well, now that I'm actually getting married, we have a guest list of over 400 people!!! So much for that small wedding I wanted...

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 2:27 PM Go to message in response to: BreAnn

Having a small wedding is actually really hard to do in my opinion. FH and I really wanted a small wedding about 100 people maybe. That was going to be impossible if we got married at home since I have such a huge family so I was actually pulling for a destination wedding figuring not as many people would go and we would get our small wedding. FOB, MOB and FH didn't go for it so now we are getting married where I'm from and out guest list has to be atleast 125 people for our reception site. It's especially hard too because my parents are paying so how do you say no I don't really want some of your friends there when you aren't paying. Oh well no matter what it is going to be an amazing day.

BreAnn Posts : 600 Registered: 11/28/07
Posted: Dec 27, 2007 3:26 PM Go to message in response to: ChucksGrl0215

I agree...how do I tell my mom no, that I don't want some distant cousin I have never met in my life invited, when her and my father are paying for most of it? Oh well. She doesn't expect most of them to show, but she says we have some family who gets extremely ticked if they don't get invitations to everything. Funny though...I don't think I've met them...Oh well, I may sound greedy but maybe we will get lucky and they will send some money. HAHA. Tongue out Probably not with my luck!

Posted: Jan 5, 2008 11:06 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

I had a couple of dreams. One was to get married in the winter (go figure, I think it was only for the hand muff and cloak I could wear to be more romantic), btu the bigger dream was to have it in my grandpa's backyard upp in the mountains of PA with the creek behind. So yeah now I'm getting married in a military church down south.

I also always wanted to have a horse and carriage (In fact I used to drive one in philly for tourists), but it's not in the budget and I don't think the army would really go for it either :).  

Retired Posts : 808 Registered: 4/17/06
Posted: Jan 5, 2008 11:19 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

My wedding went along with my movie star dream.

When I was young, I was so sure I would become either a movie star or a big-name swimsuit model so I could have one of those really fancy weddings. Not big, because I really never knew enough people to justify a bigger guestlist than about 25, but lavish decorations. Think HUNDREDS of roses and candles and juuust right lighting and super cute, chic food, all in some really unique venue that would look great in photos.

Ha. I feel silly saying all that. But there you are! Laughing

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 2:58 PM Go to message in response to: Retired

Hey, there's no need to feel silly!  Being unrealistic is what dreams are for!  I love your decorating ideas . . . sounds like you have great taste!
EveT

Posted: Jan 14, 2008 3:20 PM Go to message in response to: Retired

Your decor dream is still my dream. I have bought lots and lots of different types of candles and candle holders for this. It's definitely ecletic with votive holders to pudding cups to hold the candles lol

Posted: Jan 21, 2008 12:22 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

I dreamed that I would have NO budget.  I know that's not the case now!!!!!!

Posted: Feb 12, 2008 10:17 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I never had "a" dream wedding as a girl. I had dream weddings. I had ideas and plans for all kinds of weddings. I still have dreams of a Marie Antoinette style maked ball wedding complete with awesome costumes for my guests but well that thing called a budget keeps that a fantasy. Oddly enough I think I was the only one I knew that had a winter wedding planned too and when I met DH we said NO WINTER WEDDING bc of the holidays and birthdays.

We had a christmas wedding, and it was perfect

December 1, 2007 Six Years in the Making, Four Months in the Planning

MrsWilliams2008 Posts : 1,431 Registered: 7/19/07
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 10:38 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

How did I miss this topic??

Ever since I started dreaming about weddings (about 10 or 11) was I alllllllways wanted to be a June bride, it's just the perfect summer month. I love everything about summer. I have NO earthly idea why I picked June over July or August. And I just thought of something, I'm getting married ON the first day of summer! I love spring too but the weather is always unpredictable here that time of the year (lots of rainy/cool days).

I also wanted to wear a pure white poofy dress... now that has changed from time to time, but guess what... now that I'm getting married for REAL (and not just in fantasy land), I fell in love a white poofy- pick up skirt style dress, lol.

See little girls?? Dreams do come true!

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/RyAnne Stafford&RobertWilliams, Jr

R&R: June 21, 2008

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine