I don't wear makeup! VENT!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 9
I don't wear makeup! VENT!
Posted: Nov 23, 2007 10:24 AM

Ok, so I'm 28 y/o and don't wear makeup.  I just never have.  I have a perpetual tan and usually a bit of windburn on top of it.  I've never looked washed out in pictures.  My BMs and Mom and Aunts think I should wear some for wedding pics.  I just don't feel comfortable with a bunch of stuff on my face.  I use moisturizer and chapstick and really, that's all.  I don't want to wear anything and FH likes that.  I've tried all sorts of products and don't like them.  I even tried the Bare Minerals stuff and it was still weird.

The wedding is almost a year away and people are already bugging me about this!  I wish I could tell them all to just shut it!  Aren't there more important things to worry about?

Sorry, I just had to get that out since my Mom and SiL brought it up yesterday at Thanksgiving!

"If we weren't all crazy we would go insane"  ~Jimmy Buffett

RockChalkChick Posts : 48 Registered: 12/27/06
Re: I don't wear makeup! VENT!
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 11:20 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

OBX, I think we're cut from the same cloth!

I've never been big on makeup - I dabble in it once in a while, but it's just a pain to wear it all the time. Plus, I have a few friends who are so dedicated to their makeup regimen that to see them barefaced is just disturbing - I don't want my "normal" to be artificial!

Unfortunately, I don't have your luck in the natural tan front - I'm as pasty as possible, so I look really washed out in pictures, even when I look normal in person. I'll compromise with a touch of makeup for the wedding, but I want to do my own - the couple of times I've had makeup "done" I ended up looking frightening!

Our wedding is about us, being ourselves and looking like ourselves. I don't consider this to be my "big day" or an occasion to overdo it and look like someone else's idea of "pretty."

Here's my usual look (a little flushed and sweaty from dancing!)

And here's the last time I was "done" for a wedding - what part of "natural" involves heavy eye makeup, a tight updo and pinned curls?

missrachelk Posts : 72 Registered: 6/26/07
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 11:52 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

You are definitely not the only one. I'm 26 and have never worn makeup. I don't like it, my skin and eyes are really sensitive and the times frineds have 'done' my makeup it always makes my face hurt and I hate the way it looks.  I'm super early in planning and don't know waht I'm going to do, probably jsut a tad of cream eye shadow and maybe a little sparkly powder and lip gloss.

I red somewhere else on these boards that a good reply to advice you really don't want to hear but don't want to get into an argumet over is jsut say - good to know.

So when people keep bringing up taht you should wear makeup, say good to know, and continue with your plans.

You don't ahve to be a cookie-cutter, made up, up-do bride to be a bride. KNowing yourself and what you want is much more important than fitting into a mold.

If your mom and sis won't let up, do some test pics with the look you plan for your wedding day so that you can prove them wrong (that you will look great without heavy makeup)

If you've never tried it I'd suggest that you try cream eye shadow - it's really light and just gives you a hint of a made up look, that and lip gloss is what I put on when I want to look special, but FH says he prefers my normal bare-faced look.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to tell them to shut it!

Love2u Posts : 1,661 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 11:57 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

If you don't wear makeup and you don't want to wear makeup, then you shouldn't.  Buy some of the moisturizer that has a hint of color and a darker chapstick, and on the day of the wedding just say... "I was so impressed with my makeup artist, he/she did such a great job keeping me looking natural."  :-)

All kidding aside, it's your wedding day and you should be comfortable.  Thank your Mom and Aunt for their suggestions and then go on with things the way you want to be.

Love2uKiss Message was edited by: Love2u

Message was edited by: Love2u

thebigcheese Posts : 155 Registered: 4/2/07
Posted: Dec 3, 2007 4:55 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I abhor makeup, as it's just a scam by the beauty industry to perpetuate insecurities in women and take their money for the "cures" to manufactured flaws.  I don't ever wear it, and I certainly did not want to wear it on my wedding day because I wanted to look and feel like myself.

Some people implied that this was the weirdest thing they'd ever heard.  I got lots of "What about your pictures?"  Well, the groom and every single male member of the wedding party are photographed all day long with no makeup, and somehow the pictures turn out just fine, even though they have an uneven skin tone, skimpy eyelashes, and pale cheeks and lips.

You are correct- there are more important things to worry about.  Your fiance is going to think that you look beautiful regardless of whether you are wearing makeup, and cosmetics will have no bearing on the fact that it will be one of the happiest, most memorable days of your life.  Good for you for sticking to your guns and doing what you want to.  Unfortunately, some people will always feel the need to express their (unsolicited) opinion, and all you can do is ignore them.

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Dec 3, 2007 6:06 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well all I can say is I'M JEALOUS!  Oh how I wish I could go without makeup but unfortunately I look like death warmed over without it. 

I ditto the previous posts and say you do whatever the heck you wanna do! 

http://www.brides.com/weddingwebsite/tobiandbrian

Daisypath Ticker

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 6:31 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My FH goes crazy when I wear a little bit of Make up on my eyes and lips, and quite frankly if I wear any more than that I feel weird...since he's the only one I want to impress  that day, that's all I am worried about. My sister and Mom have been harassing about it a bit and once I told them that they backed off a bit
When is my wedding

RMB0414 Posts : 1,386 Registered: 8/2/06
Posted: Dec 3, 2007 8:01 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Makeup has never been my thing either.  Once in a blue moon I'll dabble some on, but not often.  People comment when I actually do "wow Rena you actually have makeup on, what's the special occasion?"  So maybe I wear it a little bit more than you, but def not a lot.  My mother is always on my case.  In fact I just started working in the school system she is in a couple of months ago and the night before my first day I told her that she better not chase me down the halls with blush.  LOL!

I wanted a natual look for our wedding.  I wanted browns and light pinks.  I wanted to look pretty, but not made up all fake. Both my hubby and I hate that fake look, and it just isn't me. 

Here is a pic of me on our wedding day:

JoeandRenawedding057.jpg picture by rena127

coastiebride Posts : 1,365 Registered: 3/26/07
Posted: Dec 3, 2007 9:20 PM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

You dont need to go crazy with make up i wish i had great skin like you but unfortunitly i do not. I wish i could go without but i know better then that! If you want just a little bit then i would I would look into a good tinting foundation or look into a light coverage like Origins make up it feels great on the skin its't not heavy like bare minerals or other make up products, not to mention it is all natural, a light blush for some color. I would go with a lip stain or just a light colord gloss and some mescara just as a basic. You dont need to look like a barbie but i think a nice colored gloss and mescara will go a long way!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
imghttp://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10710;6/st/20081206/e/Our+Wedding/k/d622/event.png[/img]
[/url]

Love is a four-letter word spelled G-I-V-E

Check out my personal site :myspace.com/dixidarlinxo

Check out my wedding website too: http://jharrellandbpittman.weddings.com

MissyF Posts : 275 Registered: 9/23/07
Posted: Dec 6, 2007 6:23 PM Go to message in response to: coastiebride

I agree with other posters: if make-up makes you feel that uncomfortable, don't wear it!

I never wear make-up, either, unless it's a special occasion, and I've even stopped doing that, because my fiance can always tell and he makes a point of telling me he prefers me without it. Not that I wear a lot of heavy make-up at those times, either: it's usually just a little lipstick and some light eye-liner.

If you choose to appease your mom or concern yourself with make-up at all. I would stay light-years away from an actual make-up artist. I do not want to impugn their talent at all, but in my limited experience, even the very good ones have a very different concept of "a little bit of make-up" than the layperson does. What seems minimal to them may look caked-on to you. I would simply consult as many sources as you can about how to get that "natural" look, and be firm about anything you definitely DON'T want - dark eyes, for instance (in spite of advice to the contrary, I won't touch black mascara: I'm way too pale and it just looks SO overdone on me). If you have naturally rosy cheeks, don't bother with blush, etc. The only concession you might consider for photographs is powder, to make sure you don't shine in pictures.

And I hear you on the hair: while I'm having mine styled, I've been adamant about not having an elaborate up-do. Some people look fantastic with those, but I want to recognize myself, and it sounds like you do, too.

If your fiance thinks you're beautiful, I wouldn't worry about pleasing anyone else! 

Message was edited by: MissyF

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine