We bought my "dresses" this weekend!!

Online Users: 1,332 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4

RockChalkChick Posts : 48 Registered: 12/27/06
We bought my "dresses" this weekend!!
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 8:40 AM

Wow - I'm still kind of in shock. I was visiting my folks this weekend, and my mother and I decided to swing by the fabric store and check out the options. I was braced to "compile" my dress(es) from a few different patterns if necessary (the top from this one, waistline from that, etc).

Imagine my surprise when we come across the exact pattern I had in mind - a softly gathered v-neck with wider shoulder straps, a natural waist, and A-line skirt. The pattern itself is designed for stretch knits, so we'll have to do a few modifications to take that into consideration, but it's so much closer than I expected!

Here's the pattern: 

We'll be using the sleeveless version, basically as-is for the bridesmaid dresses: The gathered top, with snug midriff insert (no sash), and upper-calf hemline, in a soft yellow crepe.

My dress will have a few changes - I'm going with a white/off-white layered chiffon/organza, floor-length, with a yellow embroidered inset at the midriff panel. Possibly a short sweep train, but I'm not sold on that (my mother thinks I "need" a train). And probably adding a small flutter sleeve, to set it apart from the sleeveless BMs.

I'm so excited - it's pretty much going to turn out exactly as I've imagined, after so many fruitless trips to the bridal shops!

PLysak Posts : 288 Registered: 7/8/07
Re: We bought my "dresses" this weekend!!
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 9:12 AM Go to message in response to: RockChalkChick

That is really cool.  I wish that I could sew clothes!  I always wanted to learn, but never had the time.  I think it sounds beautiful, and that style should flatter a wide variety of figure types.  Please show us pictures when you get them done!

BrideChica Posts : 2,300 Registered: 12/25/06
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 1:58 PM Go to message in response to: RockChalkChick

I love your pattern!  Sounds like you really know what you want!  That's great....I'd be changing my mind all the time.  LOL

Love2u Posts : 1,661 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 2:06 PM Go to message in response to: RockChalkChick

I really love those patterns!
Love2uKiss

SuezyQ Posts : 947 Registered: 8/4/06
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 6:25 PM Go to message in response to: RockChalkChick

That's great!  Those dresses are going to look fabulous.  I wish I could sew!

Congrats!!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine