Airbrush tan

Online Users: 1,290 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 13

LisaS Posts : 20 Registered: 5/24/07
Airbrush tan
Posted: Oct 15, 2007 4:41 PM

Hi.  I am very pale and planning a destination wedding.  I am interested in getting an airbrushed tan (the kind done by a person, not a machine).  Does anyone have experience with this?  I do not want streaks or patches of color coming off, and am especially worried about if I am swimming.  Also, do you know of any salons or people that provide this service in the Central IL area?  I live in Bloomington/Normal, IL, so the closer to home the better.  Other suggestions are also appreciated.  Thanks!

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Re: Airbrush tan
Posted: Oct 15, 2007 5:12 PM Go to message in response to: LisaS

Hi, LisaS -- I just want to caution you about trying anything new on your skin near the time of the wedding.  I made the mistake of using a cream hair remover 8 days before my wedding and I had a bad reaction to it -- horrible red chicken-pox-like rash all over my legs -- and my wedding outfit had a short skirt.  2 visits to dermatologist, Rx steroid cream, and totally opaque body makeup were needed to make my legs look halfway normal under nylons.  The tanning you have in mind is probably perfectly safe, but I would encourage you to have a trial run a couple of months before your wedding if possible.  It took that long (about 8 weeks) for my legs to get back to normal!
EveT

genn8p Posts : 35 Registered: 2/10/07
Posted: Oct 15, 2007 5:17 PM Go to message in response to: LisaS

almost everyone i know who has tried the airbrush tan has had horrible results with it. i went to get an airbrush tan for my friend's wedding last year, and the woman at the spa (who's judgement i totally trust) told me that really fair people just turn orange from the bronzers in the spray.

i had really pale clear skin and i decided to tan and now i have really dark freckles all over my face, chest and shoulders which imo make me look older. just my opinion, but i think you should try some bronzing powder. i've seen some really cool ones with sparkles in them(they look sexy, not tacky) at victoria's secret and macy's.

good luck and congrats.Smile 

When is my weddingIMGhttp://www.whenismywedding.com/signature/86e81f2b88010c9f.gif[/IMG][/URL]

love4him Posts : 21 Registered: 8/27/07
Posted: Oct 16, 2007 4:42 PM Go to message in response to: genn8p

I am very pale with freckles and I have had an airbrush tan twice.  I went to a salon who only did airbrush tanning (nothing else!) and had great results.  The salon can adjust the color/amount of solution for your specific skin tone.  Mine lasted approx 4 days due to swimming in the ocean, shaving, etc.  However, my "tan" faded very evenly...no flaking!  I am having a destination wedding and will again be visiting this salon before I leave!

Posted: Oct 16, 2007 4:55 PM Go to message in response to: LisaS

I have done airbrush tanning at tanning salons and spas and had wonderful experiences.  I would get it a couple of days before the wedding because you can have some color come off on clothing if you get hot and you do not want that on your wedding dress.  I plan on doing it for my destination wedding in April.  I have a kin condition and certain parts of my skin do not tan and this is the only way to have an even tan so I do it often for any occassion where I will be showing my legs. 

JenlovesDon1 Posts : 217 Registered: 8/6/07
Posted: Oct 16, 2007 5:24 PM Go to message in response to: LisaS

Hi Lisa, I just wanted to respond to your thread because I live in Peoria, and have worked in Bloomington before for the company I work for.

I have never tried airbrush tanning, but I have been to that salon that's over there on Krispy Kreme drive? I forget the name of the salon, but they seemed to be really nice people in there.

Also, if your not wanting to fake bake, I suggest trying Loreal Sublime Bronze. I swear by it!

Posted: Oct 16, 2007 5:47 PM Go to message in response to: JenlovesDon1

I know what salon you are referring to, but unfortunately I can't fake back.  I got melanoma (skin cancer) from fake baking when I was 25.  Thanks for everyone's suggestions though, I am going to try a few!  Glad to hear it seems to fade normally?  I am scared of bright orange knees and feet with white legs!

JenlovesDon1 Posts : 217 Registered: 8/6/07
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 9:22 AM Go to message in response to: LisaS

I don't blame ya. I don't do tanning beds anymore either, for the fear of getting skin cancer, and I'm 26 and the signs of aging are showing on my face.

Good luck!

jessd0320 Posts : 1,491 Registered: 7/4/06
Posted: Oct 24, 2007 1:35 AM Go to message in response to: JenlovesDon1

I'm late on this, but I wanted to offer my two cents. I did a few things before my wedding to try and blend my horrible tan lines I got from a bad sunburn I got back in April. I tanned in the tanning beds for about six weeks and I got nice and dark but it didn't take the lines away.

So then I got a spray tan. It was great. It didn't end up evening out the lines perfectly, but enough that I wasn't as upset about them. My friend put bronzing powder over the lines to help with them as well...

I decided to get the spray tan because I had tanned every day for six days straight (did you know they time your 24 hours between sessions right down to the minute? Twice I went and had to wait six minutes before they could activate a bed for me) and it wasn't helping and I was tired of the tanning bed.

The woman who did my spray tan paid tons of attention to detail and did a great job. It was one of the salons where thats all she does. She chose the shade and then looked at it after it was done and touched up spots she didn't like.

I do recommend getting a trial, especially if you aren't tan to begin with. I was already tan and just looking for a touch up. But even if you don't get a trial, do it a few days before your event. I did mine on Wednesday for my Saturday wedding. Right after you get it done you need to wear loose-fitting clothes and you can't wash yourself with products that contain soap. I borrowed a friend's soap-free stuff from the body shop, can't remember what its called. And even with that you can't scrub or it will come off. After you get it done you'll probably be all sticky but you can't get wet for about eight hours to allow it to set, and your not supposed to really handle it much or pick at it.

Also, the woman who did mine said its best to exfoliate your skin before you go and also don't put any kind of lotions or powders on your skin.

They say the tan will last longer depending on how well you take care of it. I guess typically its 4-6 days. Mine lasted six before it started basically peeling off after my first day swimming in the caribbean on my honeymoon. I don't have any tips for making it last through that because I didn't need mine to last that long.

Also, I thought mine had been fading like when I was washing my face ... because I just wash it in the shower and don't scrub anyway. Well taking my makeup off on my wedding night I did scrub, and boy did it take the tan off my face! I had to scrub again to make it not so blotchy. So it hadn't faded at all.

Pretty much, as long as you don't pick at it right after you get it done to let it set, and then don't scrub, it should be fine. Good luck!

Daisypath Next Anniversary PicDaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

kellysue Posts : 8 Registered: 1/7/08
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 12:46 AM Go to message in response to: jessd0320

Just offering my three cents ;-)

I am an airbrush tanning industry professional. The reason why people turn orange is from over application of DHA (Dihydroxyacetone) which is the main ingredient in all self tanners and airbrush tanning solutions. Everyone's skin can handle a different level of DHA. The level in most solutions is between 5 -12%...a good average is 9% for everyone. Orangeness can also be controlled by how much solution is applied by the airbrush technician.

Solutions that have another ingredient, Eurythulose, give a longer lasting airbrush tan then solutions that don't. You can use soap you just can't use scrubs, loofahs, or body washes.

It is important to shave and exfoliate before the tan, but only use a water based exfoliant as an oil-based one will inhibit the tan from taking to your skin. There are ways to eliminate tan lines, and the important thing to remember is to find an experienced technician.  Airbrush Tanning is not regulated by the Dept. of Cosmetology in most states, so be careful.

For those that will be going on your honeymoon and planning on swimming in chlorine...use a tan extender or touch up spray (I reccommend South Seas Brand that is carried on my website).

If you are looking for a salon in Illinois...Chicago's Brilli Salon was ranked best airbrush tan by Allure Magazine and they use the South Seas Products.

Good Luck

Kelly Richardson

Owner, Sonoma Tanning

(707) 546-1452

Exit99 Posts : 173 Registered: 3/31/07
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 4:59 PM Go to message in response to: kellysue

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE getting airbrush tans.  I use to tan in a bed all the time, then I tried the airbrush thing...with someone actually spraying me.  It was wonderful!

Make sure you do it a day or two before your big day...the best results come then, after about 8-12 sitting on your body then a shower.  I usually go about 4-5pm....it takes 10 minutes then I go home relax wear loose clothing and go to sleep.  when I wake up i take a shower, and you will see some wash down the drain..that is normal.

Again, I LOVE IT!  it lasts for about 6-10 days if you keep your self very very moisturized.  Pat dry, not rub in the shower, otherwise you can streak....again try it earlier if you can first, but I would totally recommend it.

Laughing and Loving is true love....I'm marrying my best friend!

Posted: Mar 20, 2008 5:56 PM Go to message in response to: LisaS

Airbrush tans are truly the greatest invention EVER!! :)  I live in Orange County, California, so I don't have a recommendation, but you might want to ask my tan lady.  They give me references for makeup artists and stuff like that all the time, so you never know!  Sometimes people in the industry have allies, you know?  My tan lady is at www.konatans.com.  Best of luck and definitely do a "trial run" at least a week before the wedding!!!  And, if you're lucky like me, your tanner will have a bottle of your own special mix to take with you on the honeymoon for touch ups ;-)

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: Apr 1, 2008 9:26 PM Go to message in response to: LisaS

LONG BUT WORTH THE READ BEFOR AIRBRUSHING: Ok, I hope this helps and if it doesn't make sense, please drop me a PM.  I worked at a tanning salon for two years with both the Mystic machine, and we also had a lady who did the airbrushing herself.  I personally liked the machine.  It always came out very natural on me.  Our machine was cleaned and "purged" (meaning we cleaned the nozzle that blew out the solution) after EVERY single use.

What airbrushing does for you.... I know that the Mystic brand attaches to your skin at a molecular level.  It takes your natural hue and enhances it.  The reason people turn orange is because they are a skin type 1....people who do not natually tan.  I found this site that has the same survey for your skin used in most tanning salons - http://www.goldnbrown.co.uk/type.html  so you can determine your skin type.  The reason your skin spots look darker after an airbrush is because it is enhancing your pigment. 

Regarding your natural pigment, if you are able to tan, then whatever your natural skin tone is will be the color of your Mystic tan.  Myself, I have a very golden skintone.  Airbrush is perfect for me.  It makes my skin a warm golden honey.  I actually don't tan but maybe once every two weeks.  I get a mystic tan every week.  MY FH is full Italian and has OLIVE skin.  Airbrush tan doesn't show up on him at all as far as making him darker.  It just evens him out all over.

TIPS IF YOU DO AIRBRUSH:  Exfoliate using a cleanser with micro scrub beads that doesn't have lotion additives (like mineral oil).  Please read ingredients to make sure NO oils are in your soap.  Use a loofa (sp?) and shave to make sure your skin is FRESH.  Dead skin cell patches really cause streaking problems.

After showering, do not put on lotion/make-up anywhere on your body.  Again, it's a buildup on your skin that will cause discoloration and streaking.

Make sure you use the blending cream at the salon on your hands and feet.  If the salon doesn't carry a blending cream or booties to cover your hands and feet, then RUN AWAY!  You WILL get orange hands and feet if not covered or using a blending cream.

Wipe off afterwards with a towel to get all excess solution off.

Swimming and shaving will cause the tan to come off sooner than the 7 days that it lasts.  DO not get a tan done the day of or day before your wedding.  The solution will rub off on clothing the first 48 hours as your skin has not absorbed all the color and will come out in your sweat.  It is washable, but you don't want it on your wedding dress.

I found these links that has a mystic tan description as well as an instruction video. http://www.mystictan.com/experience/

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=13119297

I only want to make sure you get a good tan IF airbrushing is right for you.  Please no one post nasty responses if your salon of choice used another name brand.  I've only had Mystic tanning done so that's all I can talk about.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
imghttp://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;53;121/st/20090404/e/To+marry+my+Mr.+Boo/k/73db/event.png[/img]
[/url]

Posted: Jul 21, 2008 1:54 PM Go to message in response to: kellysue

where do i go to buy the spray you recommend? Thanks!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine