Are destination weddings really cheaper??

Online Users: 1,361 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 24

1SexyBride2B Posts : 18 Registered: 9/13/07
Are destination weddings really cheaper??
Posted: Oct 10, 2007 11:30 AM

How much is your DW budget? does this include the rings? How many guests? Location?

Just wanted to get a general idea of overall cost?

1SexyBride2B! Kiss

JAM2007 Posts : 93 Registered: 9/20/06
Re: Are destination weddings really cheaper??
Posted: Oct 10, 2007 3:24 PM Go to message in response to: 1SexyBride2B

It all depends on what you want. If your a very simple person then it shouldn't be that bad. We spent about 15k but this included everything including a catamaran cruise we did with our guests the day before our wedding. And we also stayed in asuite for the 8 days we were there. A lot of places have free weddings which cut down on some of the costs. We had about 20 guests so it's pretty easy to do something nice for them. The location is up to you. I suggest you come over to the Dest Wed board on the knot. You can look at the girl's bios to get some ideas about what you might want.

September 22, 2007  Runaway Bay, Jamaica

blndsnbrdr Posts : 131 Registered: 9/3/07
Posted: Oct 10, 2007 10:04 PM Go to message in response to: 1SexyBride2B

It all depends on how smart you are with money.  I'm doing a DW ceremony (25people) and an at hom reception(200-250people) - I'm hoping to spend less than 6K. Its not going to be a cheesy wedding either, I'm just being very concervative with what I spend money on.  I'm not buying an extravagent dress ($300 limit) and I'm not spending a lot on flowers ($200 max).  The only thing I'm really going to splurge on is a photographer because that is really important to me.  I'm also making my own invitations, my gma is making my cake, I'm doing a lot of my own favors and center pieces, etc.

I could easily do a wedding at home cheaper but I really like the idea of going to CO, so we are just going to spend the money on it!

Ticker

"We fit together pefectly, like two puzzle pieces...puzzle pieces you have to pour water on and pound together" -FH

http://www.mywedding.com/chrisandheidi

elitegrp Posts : 1,048 Registered: 9/12/06
Posted: Oct 12, 2007 10:32 PM Go to message in response to: 1SexyBride2B

Yes they are.. I have help many brides on this forum.. and It depends on where you go.  Just like Jam said .. we helped Tennille with her wedding plans to Breezes runaway bay and got some negotiated rates... as well as planning the cat cruise.. for her.  Riu is another easy and great property.. You just have to get all your facts before hand..

Cool Have a great day! and Congrats to you

Tammy

MaunaLaniBride Posts : 631 Registered: 3/31/06
Posted: Oct 14, 2007 9:13 PM Go to message in response to: 1SexyBride2B

Not necessarily, it really depends on many factors.  Our total budget was $60K, we had about 65 guests (although you could have a beautiful Hawaiian wedding for a fraction of that).  Just because our wedding was more expensive than others, it doesn't mean that we were not smart with our money but rather that we had different priorities and the means to spend what was required to get what we wanted.

Good luck!

Knot planning bio:  http://tinyurl.com/2od5dr

Knot married bio: http://tinyurl.com/2zatxp

Dancer Posts : 316 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: Oct 21, 2007 1:31 PM Go to message in response to: MaunaLaniBride

I agree with MaunaLani bride. I have a budget of 25k with 65 guest in Bermuda. I am fighting tooth and nail to stay under budget. Destination weddings are rising in popularity and price.

elitegrp Posts : 1,048 Registered: 9/12/06
Posted: Oct 25, 2007 8:58 PM Go to message in response to: Dancer

It all depends on where you go.  I do weddings in Jamaica for FREE!  Just the cost of the honeymoon for 7 nights.. if they want to add a dj and more flowers.. you are looking at maybe 2000.00..  Sure you have Hawaii.. no all inclusives.. and you have Bermuda no all inclusives.. even on a cruise.

There are hundreds of destinations that have everything included. I just got back from Barbados.. being name their expert in DW.. I am negotiating exclusive deals for us to give to our clients.. and even there Non all inclusives at a 5 star resort will never cost you 25,000

Cool Have a great day! and Congrats to you

Tammy

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Oct 25, 2007 9:35 PM Go to message in response to: elitegrp

I suspect the OP is a fake post, but I'll answer anyway.  The idea that a halfway decent DW could be cheaper than a regular modest wedding in one's home town is just nonsense.  With a DW, at a bare minimum, you are paying for the use of a ceremony & reception venue and restaurant food, whereas if you get married in your home church and have the reception in the parish hall or at your parents' home then these costs are far, far lower or nonexistent.  

I have heard the argument, "the guests have to travel anyway, because my relatives live all over the place."  Again, nonsense.  OOT relatives coming to your home town would stay at the homes of your parents and other relatives and close friends, not in hotel rooms.  And the argument, "we'd be traveling here for our honeymoon anyway."  All right, but your honeymoon would consist of relaxing as a couple, not treating umpteen guests to lunch and taking them on a boat cruise.

Yes, you can spend a lot on a hometown wedding, and yes you can do a DW on the cheap, but the idea that a typical DW is cheaper than a typical hometown wedding is complete nonsense.

EveT

Posted: Oct 26, 2007 8:45 AM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

In my case, personally...it's working out to be a lot cheaper.

If we had the wedding at home - we would have a minimum of 100 guests. I started looking in to venues that were on the average priced side along with vendors and what they charge. It would have run us at least $15k. Between limos, florists, dj's, cake, reception rentals, meal costs, photographer...

What we are doing is flying to St John with a group of 15 including us - all but 4 of those people have been to the island before so there isn't much need to entertain everyone. I hired a wedding planner and the whole shabang is costing less than $7K. Photographer, videographer, cake, dinner, flowers, steel pan drummer on the beach, minister, and someone to do all my worrying for me!! Granted though - everyone is paying their own way there with my mom renting the villa...so that is saving me $$ that I'm sure some brides have to pay for.

I think it just depends on your personal situation. You have to figure out your budget first and then decide on the things that are important to you.

Celiny Posts : 285 Registered: 7/23/07
Posted: Oct 26, 2007 10:12 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

You know what....... I had never sat down and completely priced out how much this wedding would cost us. We thought that it would be cheaper than having a wedding at home, but I'm realizing it is going to be more expensive. When I added EVERYTHING up, it comes out to $15,000. We didn't want to spend more than $10,000. We are paying for the entire wedding by ourselves. We're not even expecting wedding gifts from people, because we consider their gift to be paying their own way to the Dominican Republic. We are getting married in 5 1/2 months, and we've saved up $7000 so far. I hope we can save the other $8000 in time. I'm really going to have to sit down with my fiance tonight and go over all of this. I don't want to stress him out too much because he's doing the best he can. I have been unsuccessful at getting job since graduating from college in June. My fiance has taken on a second full-time job to support us and save up for the wedding. He works about 90 hours a week! I was so calm about the wedding, and now I'm starting to stress.

Posted: Oct 26, 2007 10:29 AM Go to message in response to: Celiny

OK.... my DW is going to end up a lot cheaper, than having it in my Hometown! Because my mother would have gone absolutely crazy SPENDING $$!! My father actually thanked FH and I, because he knew it would be outrageous @ home!
We are having it where everyone can drive to it--it's 7.5-8 hours away!
Our original budget was 5,000! But after it's all said and done it will probably be 10,000 in the end because my mother is spending a lot on catering--she's a caterer, but she's not doing it because it's not at home! So she wants it to be perfect!!
Also, favors have cost a LOT because she wanted everyone to have a very nice gift after driving so far for the wedding and reception!

That 10,000 is counting the wedding bands, tux, or rentals (cabins)!
My Parents are paying for the wedding. FH & I bought the wedding bands, BM, GM, usher, FG, hairdresser, and his sister (our wedding is on her Birthday)  gifts... oh and the parents and grandparents!

I'll be a Mrs. on November 3, 2007! Woo Hoo! Kiss

When is my wedding

MaunaLaniBride Posts : 631 Registered: 3/31/06
Posted: Oct 26, 2007 12:09 PM Go to message in response to: elitegrp

Tammy - a person can also do a wedding in Hawaii for free (well, for $60, the cost of the marriage license) plus the cost of travel (and there is no minimum hotel stay requirement). 

An all-inclusive is not a requirement for a cost efficient destination wedding.

Knot planning bio:  http://tinyurl.com/2od5dr

Knot married bio: http://tinyurl.com/2zatxp

Posted: Oct 29, 2007 4:44 PM Go to message in response to: elitegrp

Tammy - are you a wedding coordinator or travel agent?  I ask b/c I've done extensive research on resorts in Maui, and found a hotel that offered a wedding/honeymoon package which, with my adding on an additional four nights, will total only $5,000.00 (including tax).  Does that sound about right, or is it too good to be true?  Can i get your email address so I can ask you more detailed questions (if you're in the biz?)

MrsTrevorASimon Posts : 8 Registered: 10/28/07
Posted: Nov 12, 2007 5:03 PM Go to message in response to: 1SexyBride2B

Well my FH and I have been planning a really cheap DW with 20 of our closet friends. We are going on a 7 day cruise to the Western Caribbean aboard the Carnial Legend Cruise Ship.   Our friends are not aware of us getting married, it is just suppose to be a "couples" vacation.  The cost of our room are $1613 per couple and the wedding is only costing us an additional $1525.  The good thing about it is that everything is included and we do not have to come out of pocket with additional money. Our total wedding budget is going to be $4,000 and that is $3138 for the cruise and wedding and marriage license and other fees.  I have researched weddings on islands and at resorts and they can be pricey because you  have to be there for X amount of days prior to the wedding in order to have the wedding ceremony. 

MrsTrevorASimon Posts : 8 Registered: 10/28/07
Posted: Nov 12, 2007 10:36 PM Go to message in response to: 1SexyBride2B

My FH and I was in the middle of planning a cruise for our group of friends and thought that it would be  a wonderful surprise if we go married while on the cruise.  So I contacted Carnival Cruise Line and f ound that for 10 couples including us will only cost $1613 per couple and us an additional $1525 for the wedding and 1 hour reception that includes food, drinks, wedding cake, flowers etc.  We are going to be married on the boat prior to departure.  The only other fees is marriage license  $168.  The total for our wedding is going to be $3306.  We are not telling our family because they want this HUGE wedding that will cost legs, arms, heads etc and we do not want that. We are not doing a traditional wedding just us standing there and doing it.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine