Should Brides.com have separate areas?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Should Brides.com have separate areas?
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 3:17 PM

Ladies, since there has been so much discussion lately about vow renewals and "it's our 1st wedding but we were already married by JOP or in private by a clergy person," I've been wondering how many of you wish Brides.com had a separate area for these "encore" events?  Or are you happy to have them mixed together with traditional weddings in which the bride and groom are not already married to each other?  What are your reasons for wishing for a separate area, or being glad that everything is together in the one website?  And which side of the -- ahem -- aisle are you coming from: are you a vow-renewer, or a marry-er?
EveT

LisaN Posts : 285 Registered: 6/13/07
Re: Should Brides.com have separate areas?
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 3:29 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

Eve-
I think this is a great question! I don't really mind having it all mixed only because some of us who are already married but doing a wedding still want to know all of the traditional stuff that non-married couples go through. The only things that wouldn't apply to us would be how to go about signing the right papers but there are hardly any questions like that. I mean, we still have questions about invitations, flowers, brides dresses, etc, etc.

But I do wish that they would get a separate section for NWR stuff. I know that Friends, Family and Guests tend to get the most NWR threads and the most traffic so people ask their invitation questions there instead of the Invitation thread because it doesn't get as much traffic.

Just my two cents!! :)

~Lisa Naomi

July4thBride Posts : 381 Registered: 9/24/07
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 3:51 PM Go to message in response to: LisaN

I have to agree, and I happen to be an as-yet-unmarried bride. I see absolutely no reason why it would be separate unless that is the request of those planning a vow renewal, as all of the elements of planning are the same.  The questions that all brides have are the same.  So having a separate section for this doesn't really seem to make sense, other than providing a space for those who are tecnically doing a vow renewal and planning a full reception to connect with each other.  And for that, a thread would certainly suffice. 

That being said, this is just my two cents.  And I defer to the ones whose decision this truly is--the ones who are planning a vow renewal and reception. 

I do agree with possibly a separate section for the Not Wedding Related stuff.

When is my wedding

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 4:19 PM Go to message in response to: July4thBride

Kind of like on the game show JEOPARDY, there is a category called POTPOURRI; which means the question can be about anything. They should have a Potpourri section on Brides.com. Right now, we just use Family/Friends as that section ... lol.

There should also be a section called "In Your Area or Month" or something like that..this way people could post all those "Any Philly Brides? Any Ohio Brides? October Brides!" in that section. And if someone was LOOKING for someone else from Texas or whatever, they would know where to go. Maybe we should run this site, we would do a good job!

I think the Vow Renewel /Married stuff should all be on one Website as well. I dont see any real reason to seperate them, since to me; they are all weddings and all about love.

See my Advice Column and Blogs at www.brideorama.com :)

July4thBride Posts : 381 Registered: 9/24/07
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 4:22 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

The area/month idea is a great one! Since it's really a must-have, for the site, there really should be a designated area for that so we don't have some people complaining that it's flooding a certain forum.

When is my wedding

LisaN Posts : 285 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 5:45 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I agree with you Kelley, we should have different sections for the different areas or different times (october 07 brides!). I think they tried to do the different areas where you could choose national or specific states. I personally don't care about the great photographers in Texas, I'm glad that they're great and there are some happy brides with amazing pictures but I'm not from Texas, thus I don't need to know the photographers information.

A POTPOURRI section is PERFECT! That's what I was trying to aim at but didn't know exactly how to name it. Why didn't I go back to the roots of prime time TV and cite Jeopordy?! :)

~Lisa Naomi

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 7:14 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

I have to agree with Lisa, I think all of the wedding related stuff should stay together.  Whether you are a renewer or a first time bride there are questions and/or advice and/or ideas we can share.  It has been helpful to me to know that there are other people who share my views on some things.  It helps to have validation.  I know I have some experiences that could benefit others.
When is my wedding

Posted: Oct 6, 2007 8:35 PM Go to message in response to: LisaN

I agree with the suggestions for set-up and I don't think it matters if the vow renewals are mixed in with the other wedding boards. As far as the month and local area boards having their own areas, this is the way The Knot has the message boards set up. I could see Brides.com wanting to avoid that formula just to keep things different. I think it would be helpful, and I think it would increase traffic since you really can't get vendor recs here.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine