Pet Peeve: Get to the point!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Pet Peeve: Get to the point!
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 9:15 PM

OK, since we're talking about pet peeves -- doesn't it make your eyes glaze over when someone posts a long drawn-out story and even if you read it carefully you can't tell what their question is or what the issue is that they want help with?  Yes, some situations are complicated and there's a need for background, but this is a message board, not a course in writing soap opera scripts.
EveT

LochNessie Posts : 1,631 Registered: 4/2/07
Re: Pet Peeve: Get to the point!
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 9:26 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

Hehehe.  Eve, I know exactly what you mean!  We don't need "War and Peace" to figure out what's going on. I mean, seriously.

-Ness 

And when you say forever can't you see you've already captured me. - Mae

Good luck, Gorgeous Go-Getters! 

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 10:58 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

Eve, Amen to that! And also, have you noticed that these same long-winded posts are usually also lacking in any kind of punctuation, sentence structure, commas, or periods? Its like one GIANT endless run-on paragraph ...

EX: "This will be long but have to give backstory first okay so I have 4 BMS so BM one is cool but far away and BM 2 hates the first dress but likes the second one Wait it gets better BM 3 fights with me about cost and says everything is too expensive BM 4 is really the only one who is supportive but she is married with kids and wants to bring them to thewedding but we cant afford that So you can see where my problem is I also have a MIL who refuses to pay for anything and my Fh wants a religious ceremony but we aren the same religion so what do I do? HELP!

WHAT THE F???? lol.

See my Advice Column and Blogs at www.brideorama.com :)

Posted: Oct 5, 2007 10:29 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I agree 110%.  I understand that some posts require a back story, but 7 paragraphs is over the top.  Make it short, sweet and to the point.  The grammar/punctuation thing drives me nuts too.  Why don't people realize that writing with no punctuation is INCREDIBLY hard to read and takes twice as long because you have to go back and re-read to figure out where one sentance ends and another begins.  Especially online, grammar and punctuation are important since you don't have a face to face relationship, lack of these basic writing skills gives people the appearance of being ignorant.  Whether they know the rules and choose to ignore them or just don't know how to write is impossible to tell from an online post, so they all fall under the stupid blanket.  Hate to be so blunt, but that has got to be my #1 pet peeve.  Bad grammar, lack of punctuation and inability to use a dictionary or spell check at the very least.

SEPTEMBER 29, 2007, I BECAME THE MRS.!

katiemae1985 Posts : 449 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 10:40 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well you guys see first there was this one time i needed to write a post but the story of the drama that caused my trauma started before my birth so please bear with the super duper long yawn inducing background story that will leave you scratching your head trying to figure the question out and wanting to kill me.

Haha! Amen Sister(s)!

Love is but the discovery of ourselves in others, and the delight in the recognition. - Alexander Smith

On May 3, 2008 I will become Mrs. D!

Posted: Oct 5, 2007 11:22 AM Go to message in response to: katiemae1985

Katie, I think your fake run-on sentence backstory is more confusing than mine!!! Its a close call though ... :)

Fallbride0715 Posts : 174 Registered: 3/22/07
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 2:04 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Ussuallly I don't read long post... but some answers are worst!!!

Ana

When is my wedding

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 2:05 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

Too, too true!! and then, there are the ones who give the whole loooong backstory, get loads of good advice, and then atart adding all the details that completely change the original picture. Aaaagh!

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Message was edited by myra on Oct 5, 2007 2:05 PM

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 2:29 PM Go to message in response to: myra

Uh-oh. I'm guilty of the long post thing. Also, more than half of what I say has nothing to do with my wedding. Sorry! I do use punctuation and try to keep my posts as entertaining to read as possible, so hopefully I'm not SO bad!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Posted: Oct 5, 2007 5:36 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Artbride I personally dont think you are one of the culprits. Longposts are okay as long as they are interesting and have a point. Somepeople have the longest post known to man, no punctuation, AND no overall point. So you get through reading it, and still you dont know what the hell they are even asking!!!

Fitzer Posts : 643 Registered: 8/7/07
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 5:41 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

You're fine in my book.  Your non-wedding stuff is in clearly marked NWR threads.  You use punctuation and paragraphs. 

I like reading your posts.  You're one of the "regulars" I look forward to seeing posts from!

marty08 Posts : 1,110 Registered: 7/1/07
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 5:51 PM Go to message in response to: Fitzer

hmmm...Yep, sorry guys...I am guilty!!  I tend to type whatever comes to mind! Oh, and I am sooo bad at dialogue when trying to type a conversation between fh and I!  Just because I "get it" doesn't mean everyone else in their right mind would!  I thought about posting a dictionary...for those commonly mispelled words...that drive me up a wall!!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine