2 or 3 tiers enough for 150 people and how much?

Online Users: 1,305 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6
2 or 3 tiers enough for 150 people and how much?
Posted: May 29, 2007 2:49 PM

Hello everyone ..Two questions for you .. I know that not everyone eats the cake BUT i want to make sure I have enough. Are 2 or 3 tiers enough for 150 people?

Also, recently i went to a wedding where the bride and groom got their cake included with the location and they hated the way their cake turned out. They said the texture,color and design was completely different than what they expected but that they weren't surprised since it was a wedding hall and not a bakery.

I too am supposed to get my cake included and now I'm worried ... I don't even know how much cakes costs .... should I trust that my hall will do a good job?

Any tips you have would be great.

November 3, 2007 I will be marrying the love of my life. Everyday I thank God for bringing us together.

alyssa Posts : 239 Registered: 11/20/06
Re: 2 or 3 tiers enough for 150 people and how much?
Posted: May 29, 2007 6:58 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

our cake is going to be three tier (6", 10" and 12" round). it will feed about 100. if you did larger tiers, it would probably feed 150 no problem. i also think that our baker was assuming that we'd be saving the top tier for our anniversary. we'll save a few slices, but not the whole thing. so we could probably get another ten servings out of that top tier.

as for your cake being included, could you ask for a sample of your cake to see if you like the taste, etc? Do they have a portfolio of cakes that they've done or past brides that you could contact for references? If you don't like what they can do, I'd atleast see if you can get a discount, or trade the cake for more drinks or food.

Posted: May 29, 2007 7:18 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

You should have one serving of cake for everyone - I didn't know at first, but wedding cake slices are actually little slivers of cake, not birthday cake hunks lol.  They are about one inch wide on top, the height of the tier, and maybe 1/2, 1/3, or even 1/4 the width.  My "serving" tier is a 10" which will serve 50.  My bottom tier is fake, and my top tier is reserved for me - I'm sure I have a 12/10/8.  I think if you kept the 3 tiers and went larger, you'd be fine.  On my cake, the top tier was "free" as in I'm only charged for the number of servings I intend to use.  So I get a bottom fake tier and a top tier with the middle serving one thrown in all for one cost. 

Most prices I've seen in the midwest run about $2 per serving.  Of course, they go up from there depending on fillings, design, etc.  Although my baker doesn't charge extra for design - if she can do it, it's included in the cost.  Obviously, if you're in New York, it's probably more expensive.  But for a cake your size to serve 150 without a TON of decoration and crazy fillings, it ought to be between $300-$500.  Some places add a "plating or cutting fee" to put it on plates for you and serve it, and most add the "gratuity" up front. 

No, I wouldn't assume your hall will do a good job.  I would make them prove it in advance.  You can refuse their cake even if it's "included" but what you may not be able to do is bring in outside food and drink (which could mean cake!)  Ask for a tasting, ask what options you have, ask for photos etc.  You can cut costs by having a cake for show purposes and the cutting ceremony, and then serve sheet cake.  Or you can request that they exchange the cake for something else as the other poster suggested.  If you want to bring in an outside cake and they have a rule against that, you might try saying well my aunt is a cake decorator and it's her wedding gift to me, could you allow us that?  I wouldn't try that route after saying their cake tastes horrible though lol.  May not work anyway because of board of health requirements, but worth a try.  Good luck!

Posted: May 29, 2007 9:01 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

No, you will need 4 layers...you can check out serving sizes on the Wilton website or just Google "wedding cake servings" and you can find any number of websites that will show you what each layer will serve.  I make wedding cakes and a 3 layer cake will serve either 64, 81, or 116...no more.

Best wishes!

Teri

Cakes Unlimited

www.cvillecakes.com 

Posted: May 30, 2007 12:19 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Our baker prices and estimates how many the cake will feed based on the first two tiers. Example: I am estimating 75 people at my wedding. I am having a 3 tier cake, a 10 inch an 8 inch and the top tier is a 6 inch. Without theh top tier the cake will feed 100 people. If I serve the top teir (I sure as hell am not going to eat it next year) the cake will then serve 150. 

I did this incase I decide to invite more people or if my guests want more cake.

That being said I would ask your location if they will have a cake consultation with you where you can set up a tasting of the cakes you are interested in and then ask then. The should have a pretty good idea of how many tiers will feed what. If they cannot answer your questions then I would waive the option to have them do your cake and find someone else to do it.

As far as costs, I think that is going to differ from place to place. My cake is costing me $306.00 however the $25 delivery charge is included in that.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. 

Pamlin Posts : 958 Registered: 10/26/06
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 3:02 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Definitely ask the reception facility for a tasting and photographs of past cakes.

We're having 150 as well, and what we did was go for a 3 tier cake that serves 75 (not huge, but still a good size, and the bakery's slices are 1" wide by 4" long -always ask about slice size, since that's what you're paying for!!) and an additional undecorated round that will serve another 75 to be kept/cut up in the kitchen.  It's saved us over $100 and everyone's still having really good cake with the same fillings and icing, and nobody will be the wiser.

Pamlin

http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10722;126/st/20071006/e/our+wedding/k/3c54/event.png">>

Message was edited by Pamlin on Jun 1, 2007 3:02 PM

Posted: Jun 4, 2007 10:14 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

We had 3 tiers and 100 people.  Talk to the people making the cake they can tell you what it will serve.

I would ask to see pictures of wedding cakes they have made.  I would ask to sample the cakes.  If you are not happy with the way they look or taste buy your own and ask for a discount at the reception hall. The cost of cake varies greatly depending what part of the country you live in. 

I would also suggest that brides do a cake tasting at various bakeries.  Some bakeries are much better than others.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine