Online Users: 1,279 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

PetaSept Posts : 12 Registered: 4/24/07
Bridesmaid Role
Posted: Apr 26, 2007 9:58 PM

Edited by peter

Jemma21 Posts : 443 Registered: 12/22/06
Re: Bridesmaid Role
Posted: Apr 27, 2007 8:21 AM Go to message in response to: PetaSept

Ok this is a long one....I found this online.  Just google "bridesmaid duties" and you'll find more.  This is just an example from one site that I found.  Have fun!

If the bride asks about helping her with ideas on where to have the wedding, help her with scouting around and going to the different places. It may be a great idea to drive so she can focus on each location.
If you have great penmanship it is always nice to volunteer to address at least some the invitations if the bride agrees. Many times a bride may outsource her invitations but if they need to be addressed by the family, your help will be key in reducing the load of tasks to complete. Your friend may need help in ordering and choosing decorations and favors, your opinions may be helpful in making decisions for narrowing down choices and making sure the decorations are in on time for the wedding, shower and bachelorette parties.

It is a major treat to go with the bride when she is shopping for her wedding dress. She may even invite you to be involved in picking out the
Bridesmaid Dresses. It is very important to help make sure the dresses are ordered and arrive in enough time for alterations!

Many times the groom does not want to go to register with his bride-to-be. You can be very supportive by going with your friend to register for her wedding gifts as well as letting other guests know where the bride and groom are registered. This is a very fun experience so take part in the choosing if she needs help.

Help the bride in the seating arrangement. This can be a very difficult process with the more people coming to the wedding. Many times it makes it easier to draw out the tables and move people around until you have a close to perfect fit. Note: It is very helpful to bring this drawing to the wedding just in case there are any mix-ups, you will save the day!

Help Plan the Bridal Shower with the Maid of Honor as well as the Bachelorette Party!

Be a good communicator with information. Many times information prior to a wedding does not reach everyone. Friends will appreciate confirming plans of each shower and party as well as wedding day information.

Attend and help out during the rehearsal dinner. Many times the bride, groom and their families are pre-occupied and forget about things which is where you can save the day by being supportive.

Wedding Day

Ask if the bride needs anything (food, water, etc) all the way up till the time she is walking down the aisle. She will really appreciate it!

Assist the other bridesmaids on where to go and timing, especially if they show up late.

Help make sure the bride has privacy if she needs some quiet time before the ceremony.

Assist the guests to their seats and be social prior to the wedding. The guests love to see the bridesmaids and groomsmen out and about.

Take some deep breaths and walk slow when you walk down the aisle since it is common to speed up. If a groomsman walks down the aisle with you, make him refrain from talking or fooling around.

Always look for the unexpected since it is common for the most uncommon things to happen (i.e, something falling down at the alter). If you are close enough, fix what needs to be fixin so the bride, groom and their families can focus on the ceremony.

Last, but not least, Provide moral support and be a great listener throughout the process since it is a very wonderful and "positively" stressful time for your friend. You can really make the difference!

lauraan Posts : 94 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Apr 27, 2007 9:10 AM Go to message in response to: Jemma21

I am not sure how tradnitonal a wedding your friends is having- I also would have had male bridesmaids had i had a big wedding. In the end we got married very quietly and two of the three friends who came were chaps.

As such as far as \i am concerned my male friends fell into role of bridesmaid.

Big wedding jobs- I think is to be supportive to the bride, take charge of any mildly hyserical mothers ( mine did a fine job with my MIL). Organise/ turn up to hen do. Not sure if australians have bridal showers  ( we don't in UK), but to organise that.

If there are three of you it's probably worth sitting down and deciding who will be doing what.

As I said, mine was not a traditional wedding, but my "bridesmen"  were worth their weight in gold

the loud one entertained everyone and made sure everyone was introduced. he also ensured that all the bits and bobs such as umbrellas/ people were rounded up at the appropriate times to move on etc. The quiet one- he helped organise my hen do in the UK ( with other friends who could not come to the wedding) He also ensured that my DH grandad did not get left behind ( he was 90 at the time) and pushed the chair all day/ got grandad upstairs and all sorts.

The other BM kept guard at the bedroom door to ensure that all and sundry didn't pester us that morning and suchlike . she was also responsible for keeping my mother vaguely calm and making sure the flowers turned up and were given out to the right people.

that was on the day and hen.

As the previous post said, somtimes you may be on dress duty too- again that is if you are asked. I would have asked " loud" one to come with me- we have known each other years and he would always tell me how large my backside looks in something! However he was out of the country, and was back less that 2 weeks before I got married.

Another thought- as you will probably not be spending two hours of the wedding morning having your hair done! Volunteer this time in advance perhaps to be the person left at home to wait for delievery of XYZ. I imagine you will be wearing a suit- my friend also had a male BM and his pockets were rather useful for lipstick/ needle and thread and suchlike.

The only "rubbish" job I can think of is if people do not RSVP etc- someone needs to chase up replies- I don't think the bride should have to- but someone does need to mmake the awkward embarrasing calls.

Also is useful for one BM to have a list of all the phone numbers of people involved ( venue, caterer etc) and a charged up mobile phone. Also take a number for a local cab firm that is reliable ( just in case! ). Again your pockets may well be worth their weight in gold.

Posted: Apr 27, 2007 11:35 AM Go to message in response to: Jemma21

Edited by Peter

Posted: Apr 27, 2007 11:52 AM Go to message in response to: lauraan

Edited by Peter

Jemma21 Posts : 443 Registered: 12/22/06
Posted: Apr 30, 2007 9:11 AM Go to message in response to: PetaSept

No problem...I'm sure you will do a great job!  You are at least taking the time to find out what you should be doing...which is more than a lot of attendants do!  We should all be so lucky!

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Jan 16, 2010 1:38 PM Go to message in response to: Jemma21

Why was this deleted? Arrggh....

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

See our funny Wedding Wed-isode @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OokYNI91ztU&NR=1

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for standup comedy clips,sketches,and more @ www.youtube.com/kelleyfunnylady

Co-Founder and Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People.

"Children are just like adults, minus the crushing failure." - Stephen Colbert

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine