Is 5 p.m. afternoon or evening

Online Users: 1,278 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 12
Is 5 p.m. afternoon or evening
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 2:58 PM

I am wondering about this for wording on my invitations;  is 5 pm considered afternoon or evening?

Re: Is 5 p.m. afternoon or evening
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 3:21 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

mine is at 5pm and i'm saying "five o'clock in the evening" in my invites. hope that helped! :)

Katrina and Jim

July 21, 2007

Posted: Mar 27, 2007 3:36 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I would consider 5 pm to be evening.

Posted: Mar 27, 2007 3:37 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I agree with the other ladies. My ceremony starts at five and I worded it "5 o'clock in the evening" on my invites.

Hartley Posts : 139 Registered: 2/8/07
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 1:22 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Definitely evening.

kiwibride Posts : 329 Registered: 1/23/07
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 8:54 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think it depends on the timing of your event. If you event starts at 5pm, then I would call it evening because your event is going to be an evening event after 5. If it is ending at 5pm, then I would call it afternoon, since your event will be an afternoon event before 5.

Posted: Apr 4, 2007 5:18 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Many Thanks ladies Laughing

SaucyMrsK Posts : 1,175 Registered: 12/27/06
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 3:18 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Looks like I get to be the lone voice of dissent.  I believe that 6 PM and later is considered evening. Also another point is that during a good portion of the year it is not dark at 5 PM; so I definately say that it is afternoon

One more point; if it is for the wedding invitation, if you do say Five o'Clock in the afternoon;  everyone will know its an evening event unless  both the ceremony and reception are going to be massivelyh short!

Posted: Apr 6, 2007 10:49 AM Go to message in response to: SaucyMrsK

Hi all.

You know, it's interesting that this was brought up.  I'm having a 5:30pm ceremony and figured showing 'half past five in the evening' would be great.  (background: I'm using TheAmericanWedding.com for my invites)  Well, I opted to spend the extra $10 to have someone who's 'well versed in the terms of etiquette' over at the invitation printers review the wording for grammatical errors and such and they told me that basically, according to etiquette standards, anything up to 6:00pm is considered afternoon.  Who knew?  I always figured that any time after say 5:00pm would be considered evening--that's when most people have dinner (supper?) and relax for the day.

Dunno if this is helpful, but I figured I'd share my findings on this as well.  Cheers!

Just go with it.

RockysGirl Posts : 1,125 Registered: 10/24/06
Posted: Apr 6, 2007 11:37 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Evening?  Dang, I thought that was still morning!  Just kidding.  I'm just so used to working late jobs that 5 is when your day finally gets rolling.  5 is when you are just starting to think about lunch.

Posted: Apr 8, 2007 10:02 AM Go to message in response to: RockysGirl

chuckle!!!!

Yeah...I remember those days!  I used to work nights, so usually at 5:00pm, I was thinking 'so, what do you wanna eat for breakfast?' Laughing

Just go with it.

Posted: Apr 9, 2007 3:49 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I was taught that anything from 5'oclock on is considered evening. I always tell people to "have a good evening" from then on. Of course things have changed but that is when people are coming home from work for the day, some families are even eating dinner around 5 pm. I would think that it would be fine to call it an evening wedding. 

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: Apr 9, 2007 11:56 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

when i ordered my invites, I originally wanted "5:30 in the evening" but my consultant said that according to etiquette, you can't say evening unless it's after 6:00.  I wanted it to say evening so people would dress up more... eventually my mom convinced me to go with the etiquette rule and say "afternoon."  It probably doesn't really matter though, and I keep thinking i should have gone with evening...

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine