HELP! My dress is too tight!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8
HELP! My dress is too tight!
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 4:52 PM

I'm so upset I don't know what to do...My dress came in a few weeks ago and I tried it on for the first time.  It's WAY too tight! I don't know what happened. I haven't gained any weight since they took my measurements but the dress is so tight I look like a stuffed sausage (complete with back and under-arm fat) and I can't breathe!  And I'm not a big girl (5'2", 108 lbs.).  My salesperson said the dress is supposed to fit like that but I'm pretty sure you're supposed to be able to breathe in it. Everything I've read says you should be comfortable in your dress since you're going to wear it for ~10 hours. Any thoughts? Has anyone else had this problem?

Shorty Posts : 161 Registered: 9/19/06
Re: HELP! My dress is too tight!
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 8:05 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I don't know this for sure, but can your dress be taken out a little.  This might help you atleast be able to breathe during the day!  I stood up in a wedding in April, and my dress felt fine when I was standing at the seamstress.  However, on the day of the wedding (and I didn't get any weight either), as soon as I started moving around, I could not breathe!  I think I went to the bathroom 20 times during the night so I could unzip my dress and take a couple of deep breaths!  I also went up to my hotel room twice so I could unzip it and be more comfortable for a little bit! 

Im not telling you this to scare you, I just thing it is very important that you can be comfortable in your dress.  You aren't going to have the opportunity to run to the bathroom every 20 minutes so that you can breathe!  Hopefully a good seamstress can let your dress out some so that you can be more comfortable on the big day!

Posted: Dec 20, 2006 12:41 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Definitely don't lose any weight over this one!! See if a seamstress can add material in the side of the dress, that way it won't be so noticeable. Your comfort is the most important thing so insist on it!!

Future Mrs. Eric Gee

RockysGirl Posts : 1,125 Registered: 10/24/06
Posted: Dec 20, 2006 1:49 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I wouldn't pay to take it to a seamstress, I would take it back to the store.  You paid for a dress that you could wear while breathing.  If they made it wrong, that is their fault.  It isn't your responsibility to pay for thier mistakes.  Your sales lady is full of crap and just trying to get you out of her hair.  have her wear something she can't breathe in for ~10 hours and see if she still thinks that is the way it is supposed to fit.  I'm not usually this vicious, but i've read way to much about idiotic sales people. She's probably one of them.

LizS Posts : 1,982 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Dec 20, 2006 2:44 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well, you should be able to breathe in your dress!  See if they can let it out some.  Or, diet for a while and excercise a lot & try to loos a few more pounds.

Dancer Posts : 316 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: Dec 20, 2006 10:45 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Listen carefully. Have them re-measure you. if your measurements are the same as on your order form then they are liable for ordering the wrong size. Talk to the manager about different options such as re-ordering in your correct size. IYou would hate to rip your dress on your wedding day! If your measurements aren't the same then diet, diet, diet.

Posted: Dec 22, 2006 8:23 AM Go to message in response to: Dancer

Is it possible that you could measure the dress to see if it matches with your measurements?  See if there is even a 1/2 inch of material along the sides.  It might be enough to give you an extra inch of room.  That might be enough.  Ifre-ordering a dress is not possible then maybe some extra material along the sides would be your best bet.

Posted: Dec 28, 2006 12:24 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I don't know if this is possible or not, but can you wear it a little and see if it will stretch at all?  The lady at my dress store said that all the dresses you try on in the store are a little bigger than their actual size just because they've been worn and tried on.  Just a thought.

RDWM Posts : 1,354 Registered: 9/27/06
Posted: Dec 28, 2006 12:58 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

The dress is supposed the fit the way you want it to, you are the customer. The dress is not right until you are happy. That's how things work in the world of retail. If you aren't feeling good in the dress now how will you feel in front of your loved ones? After spending all  that money there's no reason you should walk down the aisle thinking you look like a "stuffed sausage."

You need to go back and tell them what you want. If you aren't good at standing up for yourself take someone with you who can. 

Good luck and please keep us posted. 

Daisypath Ticker

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine