Welcome "gifts" for overnight guests?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

RMB0414 Posts : 1,386 Registered: 8/2/06
Welcome "gifts" for overnight guests?
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 12:36 PM

I was just wondering if it is the "proper" thing to do by having a little welcome basket or something along those lines for the guests who will be staying overnight at the hotel we have blocked off?  Would you be offended if you were staying and there wasn't anything there?  As much as I like the idea - I feel there is already a lot to do and that would just add to it.  Any suggestions?

04.14.2007 - I become a Mrs!! 

Re: Welcome "gifts" for overnight guests?
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 12:42 PM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

I don't think I'm doing it.  If I was having a destination wedding, sure... but seriously, I've never received one, and I don't plan on giving one.  I've never even heard of it till the wedding industry started pushing it.

The majority of my guests are within a 2 hour drive from the area... but are staying at the hotel because they don't want to drive home blitzed.  So that's another reason.

Jamie and Bill
Daisypath Ticker

Posted: Aug 25, 2006 1:51 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

i wouldnt be OFFENDED per say, but i think it is a nice thing and would appreciate the thought personally. i was on a bit of a budget so expensive gift baskets were out but i made up giant pink food bags. i went to Target and bought a bunch of bulk snack packs and gave everyone a basket that contained 4 bottled waters, chips, nuts, goldfish, chocolate, several apples and granola. then i just put them in paper gift bags with tissue paper and included a leaflet of things to do around town. it wasnt time consuming or expensive and people appreciated it. seriously, if the wedding IS 2 hours away, thats 4 hours of traveling to attend an event. for that i say a hotel IS a nessecity. so you pay for that and THEN get charged for the mini bar!?! its not really something that would offend or end a friendship but i personally think the bagged hersey bars and other goodies were a hit. everyone i saw at the hotel was munching downSmile and they were only about $4 per bag. i gave the clerk all the bags the day before and asked him to give one to each room when people signed in.

after all people really LIKE foodLaughing

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 3:46 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

It's a gracious and charming thing to do IF you can afford it and have the time--but I wouldn't be "offended" if it didn't happen for me. We did do it for my daughter's wedding, but we really shopped around to find a vendor who had nice offerings at a reasonable price and didn't rake us over the coals on delivery charges (we didn't have the time or desire to go the DIY route).

However, it costs practically nothing in time or energy for you to have a welcome letter for your guests, thanking the for coming, giving them info. about events, local points of interest, and so on. so, if you can't do bags or baskets, you might consider this alternative.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Misha Posts : 319 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 5:13 PM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

I've traveled for many weddings and I've never gotten a welcome basket.  But we are doing this for our wedding.  We're trying to go the cheap route because everyone will be staying in a hotel and that's quite a few baskets.  It's just something we feel is important as an extra thank you to the people traveling to be with us.

Posted: Aug 25, 2006 6:02 PM Go to message in response to: Misha

I wouldn't be offended either. I didn't have the time to do them, but I really wanted to. My cousin had gotten married a few years earlier and they had done them, and we really liked them, so I wanted to do something along the same lines. So DH and MIL bought all the stuff for me and they along with SIL and some other relatives that had come in early for the wedding (This is the Thurs before) and put them all together, and then DH delivered them to the hotels. It was definitely worth it, because we got so many compliments on how nice it was for our guests to find them in their rooms. 

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 10:26 PM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

Hi Rena....

I dont think anyone would be offended, but its a really nice thing to do. It also depends on the situation. If most of your guests are somewhat local, within a couple of hours away, I wouldnt worry so much about it... but if , like me, at least 50% of your Guests are from far away and traveling to an area they have never been to... its a nice thing for them to get when they arrive at the hotel. We are also on a budget so we are putting them together ourselves. Buying giftbags at the 99cent store, and filing them with things like aspirin trialsize packets, bottled water, trail mix, apples (itll be late fall), and brochures about things to do in the area,etc. It will also include a nice letter thanking them for coming and inviting them to the brunch we are hosting the next morning.... so you can do it cheaply if youd like to do a litlte something. It doesnt have to be an expensive basket type thing.

Kelley Lynn:)

Posted: Aug 26, 2006 9:06 AM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

We did it because we had so many people come for our destination wedding. The only real gifts were bottle of wine, corkscrew, and bar of lavender soap.  The rest was regional info., contact information, schedule of events, etc.  I think you have to be careful that the people who aren't coming from out-of-town or are staying with other people don't get their feelings hurt.

Megan

Posted: Sep 7, 2006 1:58 PM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

thanks for the replies everyone - i have decided that i will do something small for the people staying the night.  i'm not sure what but i have 7 months to decide (o:  thanks!!

04.14.2007 - I become a Mrs!! 

Posted: Sep 10, 2006 4:00 PM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

Rena, we put together welcome baskets for the 8 cabin units our family and friends occupied. I found some baskets that were relatively small (6x8" and 5" deep) at the dollar store, for $1 each. Filled the bottoms with shredded craft paper, also from the dollar store, included a mini-bottle of wine (chardonnay), a deck of cards with local scenic photos, a postcard of local scenery, and a beautiful 12 oz. bottle of aromatherapy liquid handsoap. Lastly, because my family's been so big into Sudoku lately, I included a little 3x5" book of Sudoku and a disposable mechanical pencil. These cost me very little to put together, but were attractive and fun (and appreciated). Don't forget to include a little note from you and your FH!

Posted: Sep 10, 2006 6:47 PM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

We're making some for our out-of-town guests. I'm not sure what we'll put in them yet either, but the Chamber of Commerce in our town has a nice city brochure that we're going to include. It has a lot of the things that our guests will need, like local activities, maps, etc. They're free and don't require any extra work. Just what we need!

We also found Jones Soda in our wedding colors so that will go in them too.

Daisypath Ticker

Posted: Sep 11, 2006 9:39 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Your baskets sound great - I may have to steal some of your ideas!!  Sudoku is awesome - my FH and I seriously have Sudoku wars.  It's so funny!!  Thanks for the greats suggestions! 

04/14/2007 - I Become a Mrs!

Posted: Sep 11, 2006 11:48 AM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

LOL, it IS funny to be hooked on Sudoku, but it's so addictive!  You're welcome.  Wink

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine