Size or Color more important???

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6
Size or Color more important???
Posted: Jul 26, 2006 11:34 PM

Ok, so I picked out a ring that was generous in size and I love the setting (very rare to find) however the color and the clarity are in the low end of the spectrum.. what is more important?  Is the quality worth sacrificing for the size???

RedStormGirl Posts : 184 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: Size or Color more important???
Posted: Jul 28, 2006 10:51 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Absolutely. Color and clarity are very important. but how low are we talking? Anything lower than VS2 for clarity, or G for color, I would rethink. Especially when you might be able to find a slightly smaller diamond with better color, clarity and cut...it'll make a world of difference. BUT, that being said, if you love the ring and you are happy with it (and as long as you're not being ripped off) then go for this ring that you love!! After all, its going to be on YOUR finger for the rest of your life! Congrats on your ring!

Christmasbride06 Posts : 81 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jul 30, 2006 3:14 PM Go to message in response to: RedStormGirl

I was say that definitely the color and clarity are more important. Nothing is worse than a HUGE ring that's got bad color and is all cloudy. I would go for a smaller carat ring with awesome color and clarity, because that will make it look beautiful and sparkly! I think in the case of an engagement ring, quality is more important than quantity! That's just how I feel. Good luck!

Posted: Aug 2, 2006 10:51 PM Go to message in response to: Christmasbride06

I totally agree.  ^  I went for a smaller stone with no color and near flawless with as close to perfect cuts and symmetry as possible for our budget.  The result may not be a lunker that makes people's jaws drop, but it's so fiery it almost doesn't look real.

futuremrsperry Posts : 1,904 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 1:41 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Color and Clarity are much more important.  You can have the largest dimond ever found, but if it has a yellow color to it or ahve large black spots in it, it's going to look bad.  You also have to take into account what looks good on you.  You may want that 5 caret stone, but it may not be practicle.  I tried on a 2 caret ring, but it just didn't look right.  My fh got me a 3/4 caret and it looks perfect.  

Posted: Aug 12, 2006 12:16 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

How low in the spectrum are we talking here?  Investment wise it's always better to get the higher color/clarity.  The lowest color without getting too yellow you could go would be and I.  As far as clarity, you could have VS2/SI1 and be ok.  Even SI2 (not SI3 aka I1) would be ok depending on what inclusions caused it to have the grade.  IMO (as a GIA diamonds graduate working on her GG) it's smart if you're on a budget to start smaller with the best color/clarity combo your honey can afford and then work your way up on anniversaries.  A lot of women trade their diamonds up every few years toward a bigger size one time and then better color/clarity and vice versa.  Not me though, I'm too sentimental.  My honey will have to spring for an all new diamond when I'm ready to upgrade ;)

jessd0320 Posts : 1,491 Registered: 7/4/06
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 11:56 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My diamond is pretty small, I'm not sure of the size. But FH said its the second-best clarity (the best is over $20,000 I've heard). I don't know that he's right, but I would go for color over size. My little diamond is much prettier than a bigger one that maybe isn't the best color.
Jessica and Doug 9/29/07
Daisypath Ticker

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine