Engagement Party

Online Users: 1,310 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Engagement Party
Posted: Jun 28, 2006 12:23 PM

For those of you who have had engagement parties...what do you DO at them?  Do you have games and stuff, or just have food around and let people mingle?

ilovehim Posts : 179 Registered: 6/8/06
Re: Engagement Party
Posted: Jun 28, 2006 12:42 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

Our engagement party was just food and mingling.  We live out of town, so a lot of my family had never met my FH, this was a way to let everyone met and talk before the wedding.  Our party was given by my family, and his family wasn't there.  They live about 2 hours south of us, and my family lives about 2 hours north of us....so our families are abut 4 hours apart.  But I am sure that both sides are usually invited.

Posted: Jun 28, 2006 1:16 PM Go to message in response to: ilovehim

Ours was a backyard picnic type party.  Just food and mingling.  My aunt (who is a photo nut) went around and took lots of pictures and it turned out to be a good way of getting people to talk. 

BB84 Posts : 388 Registered: 3/31/06
Posted: Jun 28, 2006 1:17 PM Go to message in response to: ilovehim

My parents threw us one.  We had a taco bar, margaritas, and mingling, just like a regular get-together.  It was really fun.  Good luck with yours.

SeasideBride06 Posts : 958 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Jun 28, 2006 4:29 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

At almost every engagment party I've been to, it's just food and mingling.  

FH is in an improv comedy troupe, so the troupe did a show at our engagement party. 

AlohaAroha Posts : 686 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 6:28 AM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

We had two: one in DH's country, and one on my island.  It was just food nd mingling, but as I understand it, the point of an engagement party is to officially introduce you as an engaged couple (so no one can be excused for inviting you "and guest" to their wedding!).  Kind of like a debutant ball says you are "officially" an adult.

Anyway, my DH and I both got to meet a lot of each others family (and family by choice) at our parties.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine