If we only worried about world hunger like we do our weddings...

Online Users: 1,357 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10
If we only worried about world hunger like we do our weddings...
Posted: May 1, 2006 3:07 PM

I recently thought about this. I have seen so many of us brides to be get so bent out of shape and mad over, in some opinions, petty things. We all have a right to want everything to be perfect about our wedding and we all know exactly what it is we want, and we all have the right to come to these boards and vent about whatever it is that people would like to listen too, but do we have to get so mad when things dont go our way, NO WAY! Most of us are adults and know that we must deal with the little and major things that life brings our way. Its also not a good trait to be so tempermental!

Anyway, my point is this; Can you imagine if some of us brides to be would put that same energy of being mad about stupid things into ending world hunger. World hunger would end in a tops, 3 days! Bottom line is that If we put all the time and energy of being mad about little things like we do our weddings, there would be no world hunger!! Seriously.

Emerald928 Posts : 155 Registered: 3/31/06
Re: If we only worried about world hunger like we do our weddings...
Posted: May 1, 2006 3:20 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hahahahaha...so very true!

Posted: May 1, 2006 6:06 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Totally agree!!!! Thanks for saying it!

071707 Posts : 313 Registered: 3/31/06
Posted: May 1, 2006 11:40 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Ok MrsSantiago, you are our new leader in ending world hunger. What are your ideas to do this? We will follow your lead.

Posted: May 2, 2006 5:06 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

You do know you are talking to a message board for brides, right?  All of these women have entire lives besides planning their weddings, only you never hear about their lives because this place isn't for talking about world hunger, it's for talking about weddings.  All I know is that I am a full time activist, and before I was married I never had any trouble finding enough energy for my life's causes and for planning my wedding at the same time. 

Posted: May 2, 2006 8:50 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Of course I know know I am talking to a brides board. I think I do what I can to help brides as much as they do to help me. I am not hear to cause problems or come off as a rude person. I wrote this post to hopefully open other peoples eyes to things. I think alot of us can agree that we tend to worry about things that might not be such a big issue. I recently came to that conclusion for my self, personally, based on a personal experience. I realized that I, myself, cant worry so much about things when there are other major problems to do in life. I recently learned to be thankful for the things I do have, and not worry so much about the things I dont have. And since Eli, you are an activist, I think you should understand that. Actually, was it you that wrote a post on the old boards about the Katrina victims. I cant really remember who it was exactly, but if you remember the post, it touched alot of people hearts.

As for yourstatement, "only you never hear about their lives", that is not true. I wrote my post because of the negative things I have been reading lately about peoples lives. This post was not intended for anyone in particular. it was for people to read to maybe open up their hearts.

And believe me, If I knew the exact way to cure world hunger, I would do it, as Im sure many others would. If I could be a leader with this issue, then I would lead, but you never know, even if I touched one persons life, than a single post was all worth it to me. But I now do what I can to make a difference in even one persons life from a personal experience I recently had.  And Im not here to be having a debate with anyone over this issue either. If someone takes it personal than maybe they have a complex about it.

Like I said earlier, this isnt intended for conflict or problems. I want to enjoy my time here as much as I can. And help others as well! I hope noone takes it personal because its not intended for anyone. Its just me speaking from "a matter of a fact". If you notice in my OP, I always put "we" or "us". Which includes myself as well. I never pointed to anyone in general, just want to make that clear for everyone!

Posted: May 2, 2006 10:23 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I appreciate the wakeup call, MrsSantiago.  I see both yours and Eli's points.  It is important to, on a daily basis, determine what your real priorities are and work at sticking to them without getting distracted.  At the same time, we might give ourselves a little credit in wedding planning and other discussions: we are developing skills through these board-related activities that will carry over into our lives as husbands and wives and as activists and parents and so forth.  It's all good, and I think your bottom line is about keeping it real, which is great advice. 

Posted: May 2, 2006 10:45 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thank you michelle. I appreciate the nice comment as well as everyone elses, and definately I do see Eli's point of view also. I have known her from before the boards merged, and she always has great advice. I do agree with her that we dont like the boards to be consumed by the mumbo-jumbo that has nada to do with our wedding planning. Its just that there has been alot of talk about negativity and NWR issues, that I felt I should point this out to others to maybe open their eyes like I did. And, besides, sometimes it is nice to escape the wedding planning  and stress that we deal with and talk to the ones we have been talking to for so long taht have great advice.

I am home all day with my kids, and like to come to this board while they are sleeping or playing and just have an adult converstion.

Posted: May 2, 2006 8:26 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

That is a good point STBMrsSantiago...in the grand scheme of things having wedding invitation liners in coral instead of seafoam pink is a rather minor thing in light of the world's problems and it's a good wake-up call to brides who are getting stressed out over the details.  In keeping in line with the thread topic, places like www.idofoundation.org and www.justgive.org help incorporate charity and wedding planning in one place. 

However, if there was just some way to incorporate wearing a pretty white dress and tiara/veil combo with fighting world hunger, I think more women would get involved!

Posted: May 2, 2006 8:36 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

MOHLee wrote:

However, if there was just some way to incorporate wearing a pretty white dress and tiara/veil combo with fighting world hunger, I think more women would get involved!

This is easy!  Instead of giving favors, make a hefty donation to one of the thousands of charities that there are out there that have to do with a cause that is special to your heart.  Make a notation of it on your programs or on a placard on each table.

Posted: May 4, 2006 7:20 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think its an issue of control. Most people figure they can't do anything about world hunger but they can construct this perfect day.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine