Post Message: Reply

Post reply in forum NWR (Not Wedding Related) to message Re: Holidays and Families. Your message will be posted from Guest. If you would like to change your username, please edit your account.

Tags

(use spaces to separate multiple tags, use an underscore to combine two words)
 - 

Replying To:

PharmToxGirl Posts: 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: Holidays and Families
Posted: May 3, 2010 4:39 PM
BAB- As PPs stated, you juggle. My brother's birthday is right around Thanksgiving, then there's Thanksgiving, then my DH and I have the same early December birthday and then there's Christmas. We live near my ILs but not near my family. And my parents are divorced.

Thanksgiving - we see my Mom's side of the family and then my Dad's side of th family does Thanksgiving the Saturday after Thanksgiving. We do a Thanksgiving/Birthday thing with the ILs. Christmas we stay put - some of my family may come down - but we do Christmas with my ILs (they dont' care if my family is down or not and for the past two years I've hosted Xmas at our house).

Sometimes I get the guilt trip from MIL but I ignore her - she's not too bad and we see them for every other IL birthday, Easter and long weekends. So far, I've been able to coordinate with my BILs FW well - her family is also up North. So we tend to be away the same holidays - this seems to help with the guilt trips.

Also, I always make sure to get on the same page with DH on our plans. That way it's a united front to anyone else. This has also worked well.

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine