Post Message: Reply

Post reply in forum NWR (Not Wedding Related) to message Re: Vent!!!!. Your message will be posted from Guest. If you would like to change your username, please edit your account.

Tags

(use spaces to separate multiple tags, use an underscore to combine two words)
 - 

Replying To:

FrancieElaine Posts: 654 Registered: 6/26/09
Re: Vent!!!!
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 3:23 PM
Mindy,
My son just graduated college in December and his Father and I are still helping him financially, although he just started a really good job. His Dad is going to continue to pay his phone bill and his car insurance, we are allowing him to become completely independent but we also understand that first jobs don't pay that much. During the entire 4 years of college, my ex-husband and I paid for everything we could. My son also worked almost the entire time. I am happy to stay that we never put any "conditions" on the money we gave him, nor would we ever. At the same time, there have been times when we felt he was not being as responsible with money and we had no problem saying "no" if we did not feel it was helping him to give him money.

I totally don't understand why a parent would resent helping their child. I wish I could have paid my son't entire way through school and that he wouldn't have to owe student loans. We were able to pay for 2 years and my son had to get loans for the last two years. But we still paid his rent, etc.
I know there will be times in the future where he will need financial help and I hope I am in the position to do so. If not, I will tell him I can't.

The only thing I can tell you is to try to keep from taking money from your parents from now on. Even when you start planning your wedding, I would totally not ask them for money. It sounds like they are anxious to start living their lives (post dependent kids) and I wouldn't do anything that would keep them from building that second house or whatever they want to do.

Congrats on your college graduation. Now go out there and take the world by storm!

Francie Elaine, The Bride Whisperer

www.bride-whisperer.com

http://twitter.com/BrideWhispering

http://bridewhisperer.blogspot.com  

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine