Post Message: Reply

Post reply in forum NWR (Not Wedding Related) to message Re: money matters.... Your message will be posted from Guest. If you would like to change your username, please edit your account.

Tags

(use spaces to separate multiple tags, use an underscore to combine two words)
 - 

Replying To:

auntofthebride Posts: 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: money matters...
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 11:01 AM
Dear MB,

I think you're mixing two situations.

A couple who is in heavy debt, is behind on bills, and who has a spending problem, needs to account for every penny and should make the sacrifice to stay home every weekend and never eat out. They had a glorious time while they were living high off the hog on credit cards; now the chickens have come home to roost. (I just love mixed metaphors!)

Another couple who has succeeded in staying with a spending plan, and who is on track to pay off managable consumer debt and whose other bills are all current is in a whole different situation. They absolutely need a "blow" fund where they can spend cash without having to account for, nor worry about, every penny.

I said earlier: We do exactly what you do, except we call it an "allowance". My husband goes to the ATM every Wednesday, like clockwork, and gets his $100 allowance. He can spend that as he pleases; no accountability. He also stashes $20 or so of each week's allowance in his bedside table so once a year he can "blow" it on something expensive.

I do it a bit differently. I wait until I'm down to my last $20 in my purse, then check to see if it's been at least a week since my last ATM withdrawal. I feel I "stretch" it out a bit more that way. Typically I go about a week and a half before needing another withdrawal.

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine