Post Message: Reply

Post reply in forum NWR (Not Wedding Related) to message Re: Muffin's 20/20 message thread. Your message will be posted from Guest. If you would like to change your username, please edit your account.

Tags

(use spaces to separate multiple tags, use an underscore to combine two words)
 - 

Replying To:

deltagirl Posts: 516 Registered: 12/30/06
Re: Muffin's 20/20 message thread
Posted: Sep 20, 2008 10:40 PM

One thing I have noticed on the 20/20 thread , and now here is people not understanding the difference between " white privlege" and racism. They are not the same.

In the year that I was planning my wedding, not once did I see an African-American model on the cover of Bride's magazine. So being able to see your likenes on the cover of a Bridal magazine is an example of "white privelege". Do I think the editors of Bride's magazine are racist - absolutely not! That would be absurd for me to indicate that since I do not know them persoanally.

"White privelege" is a way of saying that most things in America are geared towards Caucasians.

I work in San Francisco, CA. There are alot of different cultures represented here. Working in the hospital I have to communicate with patients whom may not always speak english. We have interpreters on staff who assist us. So I agree with a PP who said it depends on what area of the US you live, the different cultures you may encounter.

www.brides.com/weddingwebsite/trinaandron2008

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine