Post Message: Reply

Post reply in forum NWR (Not Wedding Related) to message Re: NWR: Your feelings on smoking. Your message will be posted from Guest. If you would like to change your username, please edit your account.

Tags

(use spaces to separate multiple tags, use an underscore to combine two words)
 - 

Replying To:

Knoxvegas Posts: 951 Registered: 9/12/07
Re: NWR: Your feelings on smoking
Posted: Jul 30, 2008 10:34 AM

Ok- here is one side of it. I really don't have an opinion on the topic, but I do have to defend some of the bars. In my area, restaurants and bar/clubs that allowed those under 21 became legally smoke free.  Dozens of people who are old enough to both purchase tobacco and serve alcohol were fired because they were no longer legally able to be in their place of employment (ie 18-20 years old). It sucks because this is a college town and lots of people work to get through school. One restaurant decided to go all bar and lose the "family" restaurant persona because half their patrons left right after the ban. In a tobacco rich area like this (officially 25% of people smoke, but it's probably more), the ban has actually hurt small businesses. 

Plus, the legislature passed another tax increase at the same time as the ban (from 41 cents to 62 cents per pack), trying to force people to quit, complete with TV promotions at least once per show on local networks.  

"Love is not a matter of counting the years -- it's making the years count."

-Wolfman Jack Smith

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine