Post Message: Reply

Post reply in forum NWR (Not Wedding Related) to message Re: Hope this isn't controversial.... Your message will be posted from Guest. If you would like to change your username, please edit your account.

Tags

(use spaces to separate multiple tags, use an underscore to combine two words)
 - 

Replying To:

MsDenuninani Posts: 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Re: Hope this isn't controversial...
Posted: Apr 13, 2008 6:45 PM

Look, I'll be honest.  I find the phrase "support our troops" to be a very empty sentiment. 

Who, really, does not support our troops?  What does it mean to not support our troops?  What does it mean to support our troops?

Someone said earlier that it is entirely possible to support the troops and not support the war because you could support a homosexual while not supporting their lifestyle.

You see, here's the thing.  I don't think it's possible to support a gay person without supporting their actually being gay. . .engaging in the activity that makes them gay.   If I were gay, and someone said I support you, but I don't support your lifestyle, I gotta say, their "support" would feel pretty empty to me.

Thus, I don't know if it is possible for me to say, honestly, that I support a troop in Iraq who is engaging in activitiy that I feel is detrimental to the United States in the long term.  Do I want them to survive?  Of course.  Do I want them to recieve proper equipment and have the unconditional love of their friends and family?  Definately. Do they have my respect?  Absolutely. But in their day to day activities, can I honestly say that they have my support?  I honestly don't know.

At the same time, I believe that it is essential for a person in Iraq to feel good about the job that they are doing.  It seems to me that when separated from their loved ones and the day to day normalcy of American life, that they would need to feel that we support them.  And the fact that I have any reservations at all pains me, although I would never tell a military person that I had such reservations because that's just wrong to me. 

Meanwhile, I get so angry that a meaningful, honest debate in this country about military intervention, and the costs and benefits of the decision to go to war, and how and under what circumstances it is right and just to declare war gets obscured by a meaningless, utterly annoying superficial debate about whether or not we "support the troops" or attacks on a person's patriotism.  It just bugs, and our politicians owe the American people a better conversation, an honest conversation.  And we so seldom get that. 

Alright, rant over.  

Vote!  http://www.barackobama.com/index.php

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine