Post Message: Reply

Post reply in forum NWR (Not Wedding Related) to message Re: Hope this isn't controversial.... Your message will be posted from Guest. If you would like to change your username, please edit your account.

Tags

(use spaces to separate multiple tags, use an underscore to combine two words)
 - 

Replying To:

BirdLover Posts: 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Re: Hope this isn't controversial...
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 7:17 PM

I am back to clarify...and also to say thank you to everyone for keeping this thread respectful even when we disagree!  It's great!

I DO think it's possible to support the troops and not the war...and I do, overall.  But when I've said that to some people, they basically tell me that I'm full of crap, and if I don't support the war, I automatically don't support the troops.  I am glad that you ladies disagree.

Where my thoughts of confusion come from, is what this previous poster said "But what if you don't think they are, in fact, serving our country?  Since I don't believe the Iraq war is serving the United States at all, then I can't say that the troops are, in fact, serving our country. "

So...I believe that the troops DO, or at least at one point, DID feel that they were serving our country, and I can support them for that.  But since I feel that the war was started over essentially nothing, and since SO many innocent people have been killed in it, I don't see the war as benefiting America, Iraq, or any country at all.  So to me, it's conflicting. 

Also, my husband's attitude towards war kinda makes me cringe.  Whenever he talked about wanting to join, I asked him why.  He said, "It's honorable".  To me, that was a crappy reason.  If had a better reason ("to fight for my country" or "because I believe it's the right thing to do" ) I might have listened to him.  But to blindly inlist for something just because you want people to respect you?  It's awful, to me, that anyone would want to join something as seriuos as a war for such a seemingly shallow reason.

In addition, I group soldiers into the category of "innocent people", because they are people who do not deserve to die.  And it's unfair, in my mind, to say that our soldiers are any more important that the soldiers from any other country, including Iraq (because I doubt all of their soldiers are terrorists...some are just regular people "doing the right thing" by "fighting for their country')

So, both sides kill each other to basically achieve the same thing...to be really honest...it makes no sense.

That's what bugs me about war.

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine