Post Message: Reply

Post reply in forum NWR (Not Wedding Related) to message Re: Big Love. Your message will be posted from Guest. If you would like to change your username, please edit your account.

Tags

(use spaces to separate multiple tags, use an underscore to combine two words)
 - 

Replying To:

Re: Big Love
Posted: Apr 20, 2006 11:12 AM

Sorry, I wasn't trying to start a "let's fight about religion (again)" thread. 

It doesn't sound like you've seen Big Love--which is no biggie, it also doesn't sound like you're their demographic.    I don't really have a stake in whether you like the show or not--but just so you know, they're not Mormons--and they spend a lot of their time trying to hide their lifestyle from LDS folks and also the neighbors.  I think the story is that before they decided to do the polygamy thing, they were LDS--and the first wife misses the church.  Again, they hammer home that she can't be a part of it because of her lifestyle.

HBO's shows aren't ever terribly realistic--that's why I think they're fun to watch.  I mean, really, do you think Sex and the City accurately reflected the lives of single professional women living in New York? And the Sopranos?  Good Lord.  What's so great about them, at least to me, is that they put their characters in these unbelievable situations and they're still relatable. 

Big Love has incredible acting, and it's interesting (except for the pilot, which is watch-paint-dry boring)--but it's definitely not for everyone.  I'll tell you one thing, though, the fit the Mormons threw about the show gave it a bunch of free publicity.  Definitely more than HBO ever would have spent.

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine