Post Message: Reply

Post reply in forum NWR (Not Wedding Related) to message So sad today. My brother is back in the Army. (long). Your message will be posted from Guest. If you would like to change your username, please edit your account.

Tags

(use spaces to separate multiple tags, use an underscore to combine two words)
 - 

Replying To:

newsjunkie Posts: 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
So sad today. My brother is back in the Army. (long)
Posted: Apr 9, 2006 10:12 AM

My younger brother was in the Army for several years and got out a couple of years ago.  He became a firefighter in our hometown and was happier than I had ever seen him.  Several months ago he got a letter from the Army telling him that he was called up for active duty as he had been part of the Individual Ready Reserves. 

My mom, myself, and the family did everything we could to get him out of it.  Selfish of us, I know, when so many other people's brothers/sons/husbands are overseas but we had to try.  Unfortunately, there was nothing we could do and he left today for retraining at Fort Jackson.

I am so sad that he had to leave the great life he had set up for himself.  At this time we do not know where he is going to be stationed.  Could be as good as Savannah, GA (where I am getting married in October- that would be too good to be true!) or overseas in Iraq or Afghanistan.  I am terrified to think of those two options.

I know there are a lot of military brides-to-be on this site.  How do you deal with it?  Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to make his time in the Army easier?  I live in Atlanta so I was thinking of driving out to Fort Jackson to visit him (if he wants me to, of course) since I am the closest family member to him (geographically).  Once he is stationed somewhere I was going to send him regular care packages.  I will definitely ask him what I should and should not include in there (like if he specifically wants or does not want candy/magazines/books, etc.) but is there anything he might not think of that was a huge hit with someone you know?

If he goes to Iraq I am terrified I won't be able to watch the news ever again wondering if the soldier killed was him and we just hadn't been notified yet.  Do you all feel like this, too?  Does it go away?

I have so many questions and everything is kind of up in the air until we know where he will be stationed (we think we will know in about a month).  I don't know why but it makes me feel a little better writing this and I am eager for any responses.  Thanks for reading.

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine