Father pulling promised funds!!

Online Users: 1,301 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 3

naughtybride Posts : 1 Registered: 12/4/13
Father pulling promised funds!!
Posted: Dec 4, 2013 2:59 PM

I'm soooo upset! When I got engaged a year ago -- my parents were so excited, threw an engagement party, and got really involved with the planning. They, unsolicited, offered to contribute $50,000 towards the wedding. Fast forward to Thanksgiving when my little sister and boyfriend announce they are engaged. Exciting news until last night when I received an email from my dad saying they would now only be able to commit to half what they had originally promised. I have bills to pay in January!
Am I out of line to consider not inviting them to the wedding? I can't believe they would do this when I have big wedding bills to pay in a month!

Syringa Posts : 115 Registered: 1/18/12
Re: Father pulling promised funds!!
Posted: Dec 8, 2013 8:47 PM Go to message in response to: naughtybride

Your parents are not obligated to pay anything toward your wedding. The fact that they are being very generous to give you $25,000 is more than most brides expect or receive. You should be grateful for what they can provide. You can either scale back on your lavish planning or you and your fiance should make up the difference.

To choose not to invite your parents to the wedding would be a huge mistake that could take years to repair, not to mention it reeks of selfishness and temper tantrum. Unless your parents are made of money, it is only reasonable that they want to help both daughters.

Be glad that they are helping you at all and bring some reality to your planning. It isn't necessary to spend to excess to have a lovely wedding. The point is not to impress your guests but to join your life with the person you love. Shift the focus and perhaps you will shift your plans to better focus on the true meaning of a wedding.

niabiaxxmoi Posts : 2 Registered: 8/10/11
Posted: Mar 7, 2014 10:53 PM Go to message in response to: Syringa

Honey, you have every right to be upset. You parents promised to help you out with this and then suddenly pulled out. That is not fair to you. They were the ones who offered to help pay in the beginning and they should have stuck to their promise. It's your parents, you don't expect them to break their their promise. You didn't expect to have to get it in writing. Gently explain that you budgeted based on what they had told you and that you do still need help on this. Is your sister getting married? Then, I would expect that what they did was fair. However, they should have still given you a head's up way more in advance.

weddingspy27 Posts : 10 Registered: 12/10/13
Posted: Apr 11, 2014 7:53 AM Go to message in response to: naughtybride

Well, you must be thankful with the 25 grand! I'll frankly say that what you posted in here is kinda self-centered.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine