Two weddings to close

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 1

Crystallee11 Posts : 1 Registered: 9/7/13
Two weddings to close
Posted: Sep 7, 2013 12:36 PM

Hi,
So I need some advice. I got engaged two weeks ago. My fiance and I originally picked to get married in April of 2014. After we picked the date I found out that his cousin had also had the exact same date picked. I just had never received a save the date card so I didn't know. He also has a cousin that is getting married in July. Because of this we moved our date to September of 2014. My older brothers future wife has been engaged to my brother now for 3 years. They have done NOTHING to plan their wedding. When I got engaged they hadn't even picked a month much less a date. I had told my family about the date change a few days after we found out. A few days later at our families weekly dinner my sister-in-law to be announces that she decided she is going to get married in August of 2014, a MONTH before me. I went to visit my father who lives 3 hours away and told him of her choice. He just got this crest fallen look on his face. My dad doesn't make a lot of money and getting off work is hard for him, much less two months in a row. I am going to do everything I can to help him pay for his suit rental and hotel room because I know they can't/wont help him with any of this. But I know whats going through his mind is wondering how he is going to come to both weddings for his children now that they are so close together. And then I'm thinking about the rest of our family that is now going to have to go to two weddings back to back basically. I picked September to try and space my self out form his cousins and she know this as well. She has had 3 years to plan her wedding or do SOMETHING and put no effort forth. Until now. I so upset by this, I dunno if I should say something to her or someone or if I should just let this go and do everything I can to help get my dad to both weddings. Should I change my date? Am I making a big deal over nothing. I don't want this to turn into a competition of weddings. I don't want to change my date again only to find out that she doesn't put any effort forth in planning hers and then my original September date would have worked anyway.

Edited by: Crystallee11 on Sep 7, 2013 12:40 PM

Syringa Posts : 115 Registered: 1/18/12
Re: Two weddings to close
Posted: Sep 9, 2013 1:46 PM Go to message in response to: Crystallee11

That is really tough, particularly when your brother's fiancee basically sabotaged your wedding plans. Have you considered moving your date to the end of May or first of June? That would be far enough from both cousin's weddings and it may be easier on your dad. If you haven't set a firm date in September, you could also have your wedding at the end of the month, which would provide a little distance from your brother's wedding.

If there is any possibility that your future sister-in-law is someone who likes to be the center of attention and will do whatever she can to get the attention, you might want to keep your plans to yourself until she reserves a venue and makes definite plans to lock in a date. Then, she would be less tempted to change her plans again.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine