Hello everyone! This week my fiance' and I are having to decide on whether we want a DJ or band. We have also toyed with the idea of putting songs we would like at our wedding on an iPod and just having that play on repeat throughout the reception.
So I was wondering...what are your thoughts on DJs vs bands? And are there any alternatives that you prefer?
It is really up to you and what your budget can accommodate. A band will be the most expensive and an iPod the least. Here are things to consider.
1. A band usually plays 45 minute sets with 15 minute breaks between sets. You need to create your plan for the reception to do toasts, cake cutting, bouquet and garter toss and any other special activities during band breaks.
2. Bands often state in their contract that you need to provide a certain type of food and possibly drink as well.
3. Many band leaders will not make announcements for you, thus requiring someone to serve as MC.
4. DJs will work with your written schedule of activities and with your wedding coordinator so that toasts, cake cutting and other activities occur when you want them to. They can stop between songs as needed.
5. If you go into overtime, DJs tend to be more flexible that bands.
6. DJs also act as MCs, making announcements about toasts, cake cutting and other activities.
7. If you use an iPod, you need someone to serve as MC to work with your wedding coordinator to keep things flowing smoothly.
8. If you need music for both the ceremony and the reception, a DJ can handle both.