Not Inviting Any of My Extended Family to My Wedding...Guest List Taboo?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 2

Joan12 Posts : 3 Registered: 2/1/11
Not Inviting Any of My Extended Family to My Wedding...Guest List Taboo?
Posted: Apr 15, 2013 12:39 AM

We're inviting around 110-120 guests to our wedding. However, I'm not planning on inviting any of my extended family (with the exception of my Grandmother), and my parents are okay with that. I've never been close to them, even when I was growing up. We've felt excluded from the rest of the family for years. The way I see it - if they can't even invite us over for the holidays (one year, my mom asked an aunt if we could come over for Christmas just so we'd have some place to go, and she told my mom No), why should I invite them to my wedding? I only want people who really care about me and my fiance to share our special day with us. But I'm already feeling some guilt...And I'm worried that I'll have to deal with backlash from angry, self-righteous aunts. Please help?

Syringa Posts : 115 Registered: 1/18/12
Re: Not Inviting Any of My Extended Family to My Wedding...Guest List Taboo?
Posted: Apr 15, 2013 3:02 PM Go to message in response to: Joan12

It's your wedding; invite those you want to share the day with you. If you feel you need to inform the extended family, you can always send an announcement after the wedding simply saying Bride and Groom were married (date). An announcement has no expectation of a gift; it is simply a method of communication.

Assuming you are on a budget and need to limit attendance, should anyone say anything, you can always remind them that you were unable to invite everyone because of cost or limited space at the venue or whatever is a legitimate reason (not a made-up excuse). You shouldn't have to justify yourself and your decisions to others, particularly those who are not close to you.

Joan12 Posts : 3 Registered: 2/1/11
Re: Not Inviting Any of My Extended Family to My Wedding...Guest List Taboo?
Posted: Apr 17, 2013 11:02 AM Go to message in response to: Syringa

Thank you so much for the advice!! You are absolutely right!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine