Big fat Greek wedding in reverse..

Online Users: 1,327 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 1

RJAbernathy Posts : 1 Registered: 7/19/12
Big fat Greek wedding in reverse..
Posted: Dec 28, 2012 11:22 PM

My Fiance and are are very low key as is my family, but he has a large Greek/Italian family that to put it simple is very well off as my family is in the lower end of median...

SO my question(s) are

1 how can I make sure that we dont make my family feel bad for not getting expensive gifts or wearing non-designer clothes

2 how can we make it clear to everyone that we want a small (no more than 75 people) at our wedding and reception

3 how can I allow my soon to be MIL and SIL's be part of the planning but not take over?

I dont want to hurt feelings, or make anyone feel like they are not part of this special day, but I dont want my own big fat greek/italian wedding

HELP,,,,, and btw our wedding is planned for May 1,2013

Syringa Posts : 115 Registered: 1/18/12
Re: Big fat Greek wedding in reverse..
Posted: Jan 9, 2013 11:56 PM Go to message in response to: RJAbernathy

One of the best ways to keep others at bay is to pay for your own wedding. If you accept money from his family, then his mother and sister will have a right to have a say in how it is spent. You and your fiance need to sit down together and agree on what the two of you want - every detail, from number of guests to food. Then, move forward with your plan. When someone offers their ideas, smile and say you will discuss it with your fiance and let it go at that.

If things get too chaotic, you might hire a wedding coordinator or planner. They don't have to cost a fortune and a good planner will act as a buffer between you and the family. Plus, with her knowledge, she may actually save you money.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine