Moissanite rings

Online Users: 1,277 guest(s), 4 user(s). Replies: 47

Leli Posts : 89 Registered: 1/12/09
Re: Moissanite rings
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 11:38 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Exactly! I didn't want to blow a ton of money on a renamed CZ. That's why I researched this so much! I think my head is going to explode from all this. I got that stuff from betterthandiamond.com (which is biased towards Asha, but that doesn't change the testing results) and the stuff on the Russians from their website, and from Google Answers.

As for moissanite, the reason why a lot of people don't like it is because they want it to look like a diamond. It's a completely different jewel, so obviously it's not gonna look exactly like a diamond. If you want it to pass it as a diamond, get a diamond. If you're fine with it being moissanite, then go for it. Moissanite is usually noticeably a "fake" because it sparkles too much, if that makes sense at all. It's doubly refractive instead of singly refractive, so you can usually tell one from a diamond by looking into the stone at an angle. Instead of seeing sharp lines, it'll look blurry because it's doubling everything. On top of that, there are no colorless moissanites. All of them have some yellow in them, but good ones are very very faint yellow.

Franko Posts : 128 Registered: 11/15/08
Posted: Jan 17, 2009 2:55 AM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Moissanite is fake, some girls might be insulted if you buy moissanite instead of a real diamond, that is just my opinion, not a general rule

I bought our rings @

Posted: Jan 17, 2009 4:27 AM Go to message in response to: Franko

Well, considering the majority of the members on this forum are women, I think it's safe to have a discussion about buying moissanite.

Like I said before, I'm not trying to pass it as a diamond. I like its qualities for what it is. Calling it fake is like calling sapphires fake blue diamonds, but that's just my take on it. If anyone asks, or even if they don't, I'll flat out tell them it's not a diamond.

mrssummer09 Posts : 17 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Jan 17, 2009 1:48 PM Go to message in response to: Franko

well i think saying moissanite is fake is like saying that sterling silver is fake platinum. sterling silver is...well sterling silver. moissanite is an actual gemstone that just happens to look like diamond (just like clear topaz and other similar stones). most of the people who own moissanite will tell others that their jewelry is moissanite if they ask what it is. no one is trying to lie to tell people that their ring is diamond if it isn't. if someone chooses a ruby, sapphire, or any other diamond alternative engagement ring, no one can say that their ring is fake can they? Many people choose not to have a diamond engagement ring, which is the purpose of this thread.

Cassiopeia Posts : 85 Registered: 1/1/09
Posted: Jan 17, 2009 3:55 PM Go to message in response to: Franko

"Moissanite is fake, some girls might be insulted if you buy moissanite
instead of a real diamond, that is just my opinion, not a general rule"

Sort of. Moissanite is lab created. There is a reason for this though, it doesn't occur naturally on earth, it was found in meteor crators. It can be replicated in a lab, and created moissanite has the same exact chemical properties (It is silicon carbide) as naturally occuring moissanite.

If you are trying to say moissanite is a fake diamond, it cetrtainly is not. Moissanite is lab created moissanite, so fake in the same way a lab created emerald would be a "fake" emerald. I don't pass my moissys off as diamonds, and whenever someone compliments me on them I say "Thanks, it's moissanite." Alexandrite is also nearly always lab created because it is so rare, BTW.

I actually think it's beyond cool where it comes from. Oh yeah, and I get to pick my own ring and I am picking moissanite :) I like it better, and it means more to me.

Edited by: Cassiopeia on Jan 17, 2009 4:16 PM

taradance08 Posts : 8 Registered: 10/14/08
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 2:37 PM Go to message in response to: Leli

I got my engagement ring off of diamondnexus.com. They are all lab created diamonds. I get complimented on mine all the time. It is considered a "real" diamond. It's not moissanite. It's just not a diamond that you get from a jewelry store. It's what fit into our budget when we got engaged. The important thing is that I knew about it before he bought it. So some of this info may help.

Cassiopeia Posts : 85 Registered: 1/1/09
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 6:21 PM Go to message in response to: taradance08

Actually taradance, sorry to disappoint, but diamond nexus labs stones are just regular CZ stones put in to better quality (White gold, and gold) settings and given a nicer name. Many tests have done on them, it's a regular quality CZ stone. Here are some studies:

http://www.yourgemologist.com/DiamondNexusLabs.html

http://betterthandiamond.com/diamondnexuslabs/

Please note that the second is from a competitor, but the first is entirely independant.

taradance08 Posts : 8 Registered: 10/14/08
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 10:49 AM Go to message in response to: Cassiopeia

Thank you for that information and I am sorry I posted wrong information. From what I have seen from the websites I've looked up about Diamond Nexus Labs, it seems like people constantly battling over this issue. Now I'm definitely not happy that we didn't do our research and didn't find this information out sooner. We do have a friend that bought his wife a ring from DNL and he said she got it appraised from a jeweler and it appraised at like 9 grand. I don't know what jeweler it was so I have no idea what his/her credentials are. And I do know she does not know it came from DNL.

We did get some misleading information and since we did know someone who bought a ring from them and had it appraised, we just didn't look up more information. I am ok with it being a CZ or any other gemstone. My fiance is not. He now feels cheap, but to me it does not matter. I'm on my 2nd marriage and I would rather have the wedding I want since I eloped my first wedding.

I do not know what a moissanite stone looks like. I've never seen one in person. From seeing my ring at DNL, it is a beautiful ring. Like I said, I get compliments all the time on it. I know people won't point out that it's not a real diamond, but from asking people that I am close with, they say it looks real.

Now I'm not happy that the information on the website is misleading, but I am satisfied with my ring. And I'm ok with it being CZ

PV2PHILLIPS2B Posts : 25 Registered: 1/13/09
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 10:58 AM Go to message in response to: Leli

OMG! Theye are gorgeous! Thanks Leli!

I don't know if life is greater than death, but love was more than either~ Tristan & Isolde

Posted: Jan 28, 2009 6:08 PM Go to message in response to: PV2PHILLIPS2B

I just wanted to let you know that MoissaniteCo announced their enhanced stones today. I'm so excited!!
http://www.betterthandiamond.com/discussion/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/467628/gonew/1#UNREAD

"Though the world will tell you it's not smart
Ever ever after
The world can be yours if you let your heart
Believe in ever after"
- Don't settle for less than what you deserve.

PV2PHILLIPS2B Posts : 25 Registered: 1/13/09
Posted: Jan 29, 2009 10:10 AM Go to message in response to: Leli

yay! That's fantastic! Thanks for the update... looks like you may not have to wait that 6 months after all, huh?!

So it's not gonna be easy. It's gonna be really hard. We're gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, for ever, you and me, every day.

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 12:58 AM Go to message in response to: PV2PHILLIPS2B

Cheers to all of the women who are giving their rings and stones extra thought and NOT swallowing tradition hook, line, and sinker! There are so many beautiful (not to mention cheaper) alternatives out there. I enjoy exploring all of my options, and this thread has been informative!

Kitkat2 Posts : 4 Registered: 12/26/12
Posted: Dec 26, 2012 11:54 AM Go to message in response to: PV2PHILLIPS2B

Hi there, read your post and wanted to ask you a question.
My boyfriend and I have been together for three years now and for Christmas he got me a beautiful ring because he wanted to get me a really nice gift, but it's not an engagement ring. I love the ring, but i was a little disappointed because it looks ALOT like an engagement right. It has a big stone in the centre, and then three smaller stones on either side of the centre.
Does the ring that your boyfriend got you for christmas look like an engagement ring? What colour stone is it? And which hand do you wear it on? If it does look like an engagement ring, does it bother you that it looks like one although you are not engaged?
Thanks

Posted: Dec 26, 2012 11:56 AM Go to message in response to: PV2PHILLIPS2B

My boyfriend and I have been together for three years now and for Christmas he got me a beautiful ring because he wanted to get me a really nice gift, but it's not an engagement ring. I love the ring, but i was a little disappointed because it looks ALOT like an engagement right. It has a big stone in the centre, and then three smaller stones on either side of the centre.
Does the ring that your boyfriend got you for christmas look like an engagement ring? What colour stone is it? And which hand do you wear it on? If it does look like an engagement ring, does it bother you that it looks like one although you are not engaged?
Thanks

Posted: Dec 26, 2012 11:56 AM Go to message in response to: PV2PHILLIPS2B

Thanks

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine