Groom Called Off Wedding...What to do with engagement ring?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 3

maryellen79 Posts : 1 Registered: 9/5/12
Groom Called Off Wedding...What to do with engagement ring?
Posted: Sep 5, 2012 9:32 PM

My fiance called off our wedding a month before the wedding was going to take place. The invitations were sent out, and many things were already purchased. The non-refundable deposit on the venue was paid,as well as the wedding dress, decor, etc. My fiance and I were living in his house, and I had to move out because of this. My parents and I paid for all of the wedding costs, and he did not contribute at all financially. I have moving expenses,and I have had to absorb the costs of the wedding. My ex-fiance has not asked for the engagement ring back. I want to pay my parents back for their contributions they made to the wedding that never took place, and I would like to do that with the engagement ring. I do not want to keep it but I would like to see them recoup their losses at least by selling the ring. He has not offered to pay me or them back for anything, too. Since he called off the wedding, can I keep the ring or do I have to return it?

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Re: Groom Called Off Wedding...What to do with engagement ring?
Posted: Sep 6, 2012 1:39 PM Go to message in response to: maryellen79

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. While rare, this is not an uncommon occurrence. As I understand the law (and I'm not a lawyer, you may have to consult with one in your area), the person who calls off the wedding loses any right or claims on the engagement ring. In this case, your fiance called off the wedding and relinquished his claim on the ring. The only time this rules does not apply is when the ring is given as gift during a recognized gift giving occasion such as a Christmas present or Birthday present. In that case, the ring was a gift and can be kept by the bride to be no matter what.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

nancyliu0522 Posts : 57 Registered: 7/16/12
Posted: Sep 7, 2012 4:44 AM Go to message in response to: maryellen79

sorry to hear that. God bless you...
What do you wanna do? but if i were you, i think i would return the engagement ring... i don't wanna own any goods don't belong to me.

Syringa Posts : 115 Registered: 1/18/12
Posted: Sep 8, 2012 2:58 PM Go to message in response to: maryellen79

I agree with Howard; keep the ring, sell it and help defray some of the costs you and your parents incurred. Should the ex-groom complain, you can always present him with a list of the costs. That should be enough to open his eyes.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine