Mother-of-the-bride questions

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

mofbride Posts : 3 Registered: 7/13/12
Mother-of-the-bride questions
Posted: Jul 13, 2012 2:39 PM

My daughter is getting married next month (2nd marriage) and my husband and I will be hosting a small reception at our house. I have two questions on etiquette:

Should I invite some of my friends who know my daughter but are not necessarily close to her? I am originally from Ecuador where weddings are a big and very expensive event. There you DO invite everyone (my friends in this case), but here in the USA? I just don't want to offend anyone by not inviting them, but also don't want to invite them to something that is not proper to do so.

Second question:
My daughter and future husband have been living together for 3+ years and do not need anything for their house. They want to go on a honeymoon and would love for people to contribute to that through one of those honeymoon.com websites where you can give $$ instead of a toaster for example. Is there a non-tacky way to say they are registered for this on the insert that will go in the invitation along with the map and parking instructions?

Thank you in advance.

PlannerJessie Posts : 14 Registered: 11/10/11
Re: Mother-of-the-bride questions
Posted: Jul 13, 2012 2:59 PM Go to message in response to: mofbride

Dear Motb,
First I would ask your daughter about inviting those who known her,but are not close. If she says yes then go ahead, the Etiquette is to at least invite those who know her, but first thing is first, ask her.
Now in regards to your daughter wanting her honeymoon, their is no such thing as tacky when it comes to gifts for the bride and groom. You can create a tag where you will share the url towards a honeymoon the couple would love to go due to already having everything they need for home gifts. I hope this helps.

Jessica Ares Certified Wedding & Event Planner Elite Wedding & Event Planning www.eliteweddingandeventplanner.com

Posted: Jul 13, 2012 5:44 PM Go to message in response to: PlannerJessie

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Your words have eased my mind on doing the corret thing.

Posted: Jul 13, 2012 5:45 PM Go to message in response to: PlannerJessie

Also, I had already asked my daughter about inviting some of my close friends, and she had approved and left it to me....

NiamhMaire Posts : 92 Registered: 6/7/12
Posted: Jul 13, 2012 5:58 PM Go to message in response to: mofbride

Great news I was just about to suggest that typically the Bride and Groom invite 60% of the wedding and the parents invite 40%. Also I don't think what you've suggested is tacky. If it's coming from you it look like a lovely thoughtful idea. Congratulation on the new addition to your family.

Bing/a> |

Syringa Posts : 115 Registered: 1/18/12
Posted: Jul 15, 2012 9:53 PM Go to message in response to: PlannerJessie

I must disagree with the post saying there is no such thing as tacky when it comes to wedding gifts. In reality, probably more etiquette problems occur where gifts are concerned than any other area. First, because this is a reception and it is a second marriage, guests are not required to give a gift. Many will, but it is their choice.

Second, honeymoon registries are questionable and some can be expensive, taking a percentage of what the couple may receive. Guests should not be expected to pay for the couple's honeymoon, just as they wouldn't be asked to pay for the wedding. Better to err on the side of etiquette than to offend guests. The only socially acceptable way to tell guests what the couple would prefer is to do so verbally when asked. Then, it may be better to say that the couple has everything they need and would prefer money. That way, the couple can spend the money as they choose, including on the honeymoon, and a portion of it won't be going to the honeymoon registry web site.

Posted: Jul 15, 2012 10:08 PM Go to message in response to: Syringa

First of all I still abide my thought and opinion, because if you read her (motb) question about tacky, is if there is a way to request monetary gifts for the honeymoon without being tacky, and I stated there.is nothing being tacky when it comes to gifts. So I still agree with myself.

Jessica Ares Certified Wedding & Event Planner Elite Wedding & Event Planning www.eliteweddingandeventplanner.com

Posted: Jul 15, 2012 10:12 PM Go to message in response to: mofbride

You are very welcome...

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine