DIY catering...

Online Users: 1,247 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 6

longdistancebri... Posts : 6 Registered: 2/23/12
DIY catering...
Posted: May 27, 2012 3:21 AM

Because my parents are about as thrilled with my engagement as my FH's family (which is not at all) We are paying for our wedding by ourselves. Which we are saving money in a few ways... Our bridemaids and groomsmen are paying for their own dresses/tux rental. a friend of My FH family is a professional cake decorator and is making our cake for free. His uncle is a DJ and his cousin and father are both photographers. My friend is a miracle worker with hair so she is doing my hair & one of my bridesmaids is playing piano during the ceremony.
We are thinking that providing our own food to save money as every place we have talked to has given us a quote of $10-15 per person and we are looking at 100-150 people. So we think it may be cheaper to make our own food. We were thinking about doing a cold buffet since our wedding is in late April. But we are having issues coming up with ideas. We also thought about having the reception later in the evening and having a dessert buffet instead of dinner but because of a curfew in my county many people would have to leave early because kids under 18 have to be in a residence by 11pm

Has anyone done DIY catering before, were there any issues? was it cheaper? any ideas on things I could make as part of our cold buffet?

2dBride Posts : 158 Registered: 3/16/09
Re: DIY catering...
Posted: May 27, 2012 9:33 PM Go to message in response to: longdistancebri...

It is possible to DIY catering to a certain extent, if your venue will allow it, and it will be less expensive than professional catering. However, you still really need to have someone to help. You can't just put all the food out at once, or cold food will become warm, and potentially give your guests food poisoning. You also need someone to monitor the food, so that dishes are removed as they become empty, or cleaned if things get dropped into them or they otherwise become icky.

Also, do check with your venue. Many allow only licensed caterers.

Our wedding Web site and items for sale

Syringa Posts : 115 Registered: 1/18/12
Posted: May 28, 2012 8:22 PM Go to message in response to: longdistancebri...

As 2nd bride mentioned, many venues do not allow self-catering. If yours does, you do need that person or persons in the kitchen to set out food, keep items replenished, prepare punch or coffee, and clean up afterwards. You certainly can't do it and your mothers or the maid of honor will not want to spend the evening in the kitchen.

I would go with the later wedding with the dessert buffet. Guests love them. Just be sure to indicate on the invitation "dessert reception following the ceremony" so guests know what to expect. The curfew won't be a problem if the teens and children are with their parents. Curfews affect young people who are not accompanied by a parent or another designated adult.

nycnichole Posts : 27 Registered: 4/12/12
Posted: May 29, 2012 12:53 PM Go to message in response to: Syringa

I agree that doing a dessert reception later in the evening would be the best way to go. Is there anyone who could help you set up the food? I would decide on what dessert items you are going to serve and then plan out how you want everything to be displayed on paper. Then you can begin setting up with your 'helpers' and then let them finish setting up without you using your written plan.

Syringa is correct. As long as your minor guests are with their parents they do not need to be home by a certain curfew.

PlannerJessie Posts : 14 Registered: 11/10/11
Posted: Jun 6, 2012 9:05 AM Go to message in response to: longdistancebri...

I did a DIY catering for my sons wedding and it was not only cheap but it went smoothly, the DJ called tables by their number tables and they were surved as a buffet. The bride I am working with now is having her own DIY catering as well, at my sons wedding we had full dinner/meal. Anything is possible, oh and I forgot to mention, it is good to have food heaters to keep them warm.

Jessica Ares Certified Wedding & Event Planner Elite Wedding & Event Planning www.eliteweddingandeventplanner.com

nycnichole Posts : 27 Registered: 4/12/12
Posted: Jun 9, 2012 3:27 PM Go to message in response to: PlannerJessie

You could do a buffet with menu choices that are okay to be served at room temperature like pasta salad (without mayo) and taco salad. You could also do a brunch buffet and serve bagels, muffins and pastries.

Leila1 Posts : 6 Registered: 6/18/12
Posted: Jun 18, 2012 2:24 PM Go to message in response to: longdistancebri...

You can get catering from Panda Express. It may be cheaper ot have your wedding in a restaurant that does all catering and hosting.
For some other tips on how to day on wedding catering, try
http://www.wedcheaper.com/Catering.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine