Airplane travel with your wedding dress?

Online Users: 1,332 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 19

XYZ1 Posts : 367 Registered: 1/7/08
Re: Airplane travel with your wedding dress?
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 11:55 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Flight attendants are usually pretty nice about hanging up wedding gowns and other nice clothes.  When I was traveling with my last bridesmaids' dress, the flight attendant offered to hang it for me right away when she saw I had a pink garment bag with a bridal store logo on it. (This was also on Continental -- in coach, too!) 

The bride wasn't so lucky, though.  The plane she was on didn't have any hanging space available and so the flight attendant crammed it into the overhead bin.  But it survived just fine!  

vallee76 Posts : 1 Registered: 4/3/07
Posted: Feb 7, 2009 7:45 PM Go to message in response to: XYZ1

I have been relieved to read all of these posts! I am traveling with my wedding dress to another state for the wedding. I have been stressing out about how to carry it on or get to that city. I have to take it on 2 flights. I was thinking of boxing it up and shipping it, but maybe I should just try to carry it on, even though it's kind of heavy and awkward.

Does anyone know if the David's Bridal garment bag will hold up ok?

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Feb 8, 2009 5:23 PM Go to message in response to: vallee76

David's bag will not do for an external garment bag. You can put the dress in the David's bag and then put them BOTH into a sturdier bag. I have one of those garment bags, and I would not trust it to the "Atlanta Sprint" or baggage claim. (Better safe than sorry)

Misty

Visit our Wedding Website

C.A.T., P.O.O.P.

mancini Posts : 1 Registered: 5/26/12
Posted: May 26, 2012 1:23 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Although this is an old post, I'm sure someone might still be looking for an answer to this question. I just recently traveled via American Airlines with my wedding dress in May, 2012. The current rules are that the wedding dress counts as a personal carry on. From the US to Jamaica, we were allowed 1 checked luggage item and 1 carry on on each. It was first come, first serve to hang your dress in first class. If there is no room, you get to put it in the overhead storage areas. We also placed the grooms outfit in the wedding garment bag. We were very nervous about this, so I hope this post helps!

maryusmith9120 Posts : 4 Registered: 6/29/09
Posted: Jun 1, 2012 2:51 PM Go to message in response to: adamscookiemons...

Oh no! Why would they wear their wedding dress to the airport? So many things could go wrong, it hurts my mind!!! You should sneak in a snapshot the next time it happens.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine