City-based Honeymoon - Where to go?

Online Users: 1,237 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

AlwaysSublime Posts : 28 Registered: 9/17/08
City-based Honeymoon - Where to go?
Posted: Nov 20, 2011 8:24 PM

Hi Brides! Haven't posted in some time I think...

My fiance and I are getting close planning our honeymoon, and luckily I have pretty much been put in charge. During the past 2 years we have traveled to Belize and Honduras (both beach/adventure trips) and I want our honeymoon to be more of a large city and sightseeing trip. Think Sydney, Australia or even the Great Wall of China! Anyone have experience traveling to places like these, or can you recommend another great city we aren't thinking of?

I would also love to travel to Africa if anyone knows of a country or city there that would meet the above criteria. I wouldn't mind doing a few adventure things, but I want to be able to dress up nice for dinners and have a night out on the town as well! We are going to stay away from Europe as we have already been to London, and are planning a bigger trip to Italy/France/Greece in 2013.

Thanxs to anyone that can help out!

Re: City-based Honeymoon - Where to go?
Posted: Dec 31, 2011 2:49 PM Go to message in response to: AlwaysSublime

I am going to reply to my own message!!! :)

We started out looking at an Auckland, New Zealand - Sydney, Australia - Cairns, Australia trip but the airfare was a bit much for us so we switched focus to just the Australian cities. THEN I was getting frustrated because budget hotels were few and far between, and not many had good reviews.

As I mentioned in the first post I have always wanted to travel to Africa, so we looked at flights to Cape Town (from LAX). There is a stopover in Dubai, and because my fiance is an architect, that is somewhere he would love to visit, so it works out great! Airfare is the same as the Australian destinations, but the distance from LAX - Dubai - Cape Town is about 10,000 miles more so I feel like we are getting a better deal.

We may book it today! So excited and of course a little nervous as I always am with booking international flights. 3 days in Dubai and 7 in Cape Town!

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Jan 1, 2012 8:10 PM Go to message in response to: AlwaysSublime

Dear AS,

I'm sorry, I did not see this message before.

"As I mentioned in the first post I have always wanted to travel to Africa"

When I read this sentence, I immediately said "Cape Town" to myself. I have been to Cape Town and really enjoyed my time there.

Cape Town is home to the "Cape Colored". These are mixed-race black-white people who have their own mini-society within the larger South African society. They have their own music, their own slang, accented English and art. The Cape Colored community is vibrant and exciting. If there is reincarnation, I would love to come back in my second life as a Cape Colored.

I was in a shopping mall, one day, and heard music in the distance. We walked toward the music and found a Cape Colored jazz band jamming in the open patio of the shopping mall. I was transfixed. That was the most joyous sound I had heard in my life. Shopping mall patrons were joining in, clapping and singing along with the jazz band. I cannot adequately describe the scene. It was absolutely wonderful, and I have never forgotten being a part. It's been 20 years, now, and I still remember it as if it were yesterday.

In Cape Town, you have gorgeous beaches, Table Mountain, vibrant night life, and the view of the "end of Africa" from the Cape of Good Hope. I actually envy you, knowing that you will see it all for the first time.

Aunt Posts : 794 Registered: 12/31/10
Posted: Jan 1, 2012 8:12 PM Go to message in response to: AlwaysSublime

Dear AS,

I'll add this:

As an American in South Africa, I was warmly welcomed everywhere I went. People were just lovely to me.

Posted: Jan 6, 2012 3:58 PM Go to message in response to: Aunt

I am so excited to read your glowing review! It sounds like the perfect place for us. Luckily wherever we have traveled internationally we have had great experiences and were treated with respect (well, almost... had a minor incident in Honduras).

Now to the bad news... we were booking this because Emirates airline has a sale going on, but airfare for the same route/flights went up $300 overnight two nights ago, and it has stayed that way since then. And if we were to go with another airline, the flight would be $500 more!

We are going to wait and see if it goes back down, but unfortunately the sale ends Jan 9th. This will be the most we have ever spent on airfare, and even with the great price I was still hesitant, but at $300 more there is no way we are going to purchase now.

aea1 Posts : 27 Registered: 10/10/10
Posted: Jan 22, 2012 9:01 PM Go to message in response to: AlwaysSublime

I don't know about any cities outside of the U.S., but here I can recommend Chicago. Tons of sight-seeing with a definite big-city-feel and great restaurants and little eateries. Milwaukee and Cincinnati are pretty good on the sight-seeing opportunities as well, but I feel like Chicago is more tourist-friendly.

Since you've been to big-ticket destinations before and are planning on touring Europe, you could consider a more small-town type of honeymoon. For example, I'm thinking of something like Hot Springs, Arkansas. It's the 10th most populous city in Arkansas (population 39,500), so it has a city-feel but also offers a down-home Southern small town feel as well. It is a very beautiful, romantic city with spas and bath houses, a national park that features the famous natural springs, several music festivals and a film festival, and other attractions. If you choose Hot Springs, stay at the historic Arlington Hotel--it's the best of the best in Hot Springs.

Good luck!

MrsM2009 Posts : 422 Registered: 3/16/08
Posted: Jan 23, 2012 5:15 PM Go to message in response to: AlwaysSublime

Not sure if you have any interest in traveling to Europe, but Prague is my absolute favorite city to wander around in. It's so gorgeous, and there are so many interesting things to do and see there. If you wanted a mix of beach and city things, Greece might also be a good bet - you could spend some time in Athens and some time one one of the islands. I like to mix vacations with some sightseeing and some relaxation time, so it's nice to go somewhere that you can get both!

That said, I would LOVE to visit South Africa. A friend of mine went there for the world cup and said that it was absolutely incredible. They spent some time in the various cities that held the games, and also did a safari. The photos were absolutely stunning - it looked like a once in a lifetime experience. I hope the airfare goes back down for you!!

P.O.O.P. - People Offended by Offended People

kiri04 Posts : 3 Registered: 3/8/12
Posted: Mar 15, 2012 3:34 AM Go to message in response to: AlwaysSublime

Why not go to Greece or Egypt, it is quit mysterious~

EJD Posts : 1 Registered: 4/4/12
Posted: Apr 4, 2012 11:17 AM Go to message in response to: kiri04

I've been to Egypt and it was great, although I didnt like Greece so much. I had a friend who travelled for her honeymoon, they went to a few cities around the world and she loved it! As for me, I live in a city, so I'm looking forward to getting out in the countryside! I think this will be my wedding venue but I'm not certain yet, I'm from the UK, so I might use it as an excuse go somewhere sunny for a change!

groom2012 Posts : 5 Registered: 5/15/12
Posted: May 18, 2012 5:10 AM Go to message in response to: EJD

for a city-based honeymoon I can recommend Lissabon. It is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen, it offers many cultural events, locations and also gives some time to chill out in the sun!

PrettyK Posts : 2 Registered: 5/13/12
Posted: May 21, 2012 12:11 AM Go to message in response to: AlwaysSublime

Hello,

I think this link will help you find your dream honeymoon destinations in Africa.
http://www.honeymoonbeat.com/top-10-exciting-honeymoon-destinations-africa.html

Stay happy!

_________________________________________________________ I found my great love here!!!

ItalianWeddings Posts : 2 Registered: 7/24/12
Posted: Jul 24, 2012 7:28 AM Go to message in response to: AlwaysSublime

Hi!

Why don't you include italy in your considerations?
Just check these great honeymoon destinations and you'll change your mind.

Cities like Florence, Rome, Venice or Milan are ideal for your honeymoon!

link:honeymoon in Italy

swichwang34 Posts : 657 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 16, 2012 1:45 AM Go to message in response to: AlwaysSublime

Maggie Sottero Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-maggie-sottero-c-420_467.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine